Garb from website

  • lady_dobrova
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1, 2002
      I have another question for everyone. :)

      Most of the garb I currently own is either not quite period
      (Renaissance "inspired" gowns), or it is period, but I don't have a
      full outfit (Elizabethan bodice, peasant skirt, knee length chemise)
      or I have outgrown it (oh, to be the size I was in high school once
      again). I would like to purchase one decent period gown to wear
      until my sewing skills improve to the point where I am stitching more
      fabric than flesh.

      I have been looking at the following website:
      http://www.medievalclothes.com/ and they CLAIM their stuff is
      historically accurate. I would like to get the opinion of an
      experienced SCAdian (or two or twenty) before I spent a few hundred
      dollars on a dress. Could you tell me if any of the gowns they sell
      are truly period? They also have a booth at TRF, so if it is
      appropriate garb, I could potentially have it this weekend. I would
      appreciate your input.

      Thanks,

      Dobrova the unfashionable
    • Lisabetta mka Kimberly
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1, 2002
        a wonderful person to order from is my seamtress daisy
        with outlandish threads.. their website is
        www.outlandishthreads.com

        as far as http://www.medievalclothes.com/

        I was in their booth last weekend, they are okay but
        a little pricey.. and not good for normal wear, but
        okay for court garb

        hugs bett

        --- lady_dobrova <allestra@...> wrote:
        > I have another question for everyone. :)
        >
        > Most of the garb I currently own is either not quite
        > period
        > (Renaissance "inspired" gowns), or it is period, but
        > I don't have a
        > full outfit (Elizabethan bodice, peasant skirt, knee
        > length chemise)
        > or I have outgrown it (oh, to be the size I was in
        > high school once
        > again). I would like to purchase one decent period
        > gown to wear
        > until my sewing skills improve to the point where I
        > am stitching more
        > fabric than flesh.
        >
        > I have been looking at the following website:
        > http://www.medievalclothes.com/ and they CLAIM their
        > stuff is
        > historically accurate. I would like to get the
        > opinion of an
        > experienced SCAdian (or two or twenty) before I
        > spent a few hundred
        > dollars on a dress. Could you tell me if any of the
        > gowns they sell
        > are truly period? They also have a booth at TRF, so
        > if it is
        > appropriate garb, I could potentially have it this
        > weekend. I would
        > appreciate your input.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Dobrova the unfashionable

        HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
        http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
      • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 1, 2002
          On Friday 01 November 2002 13:56, lady_dobrova wrote:
          > I would like to purchase one decent period gown to wear
          > until my sewing skills improve to the point where I am stitching more
          > fabric than flesh.

          "You see stitching flesh as a...a *problem*?" asked the Chirurgeon, an innocent
          smile on his face. "How odd, indeed." ;-)

          Deputy War Chirurgeon -- Pennsic XXXII

          justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
        • lady_dobrova
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 1, 2002
            Thank you, Lisabetta, for your input. Could you expand on that a
            bit? When you say they are not good for normal wear, do you mean
            they are inappropriate or do you mean they are not well made for a
            good rugby match?

            Thanks,

            Dobrova the underdressed

            --- In scanewcomers@y..., Lisabetta mka Kimberly
            <lisabetta_micola_damonte@y...> wrote:
            > a wonderful person to order from is my seamtress daisy
            > with outlandish threads.. their website is
            > www.outlandishthreads.com
            >
            > as far as http://www.medievalclothes.com/
            >
            > I was in their booth last weekend, they are okay but
            > a little pricey.. and not good for normal wear, but
            > okay for court garb
            >

            > hugs bett

          • lady_dobrova
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 1, 2002
              Stitching flesh is not a problem. Stitching fabric is not a
              problem. Stitching the two together is both uncomfortable and
              unfashionable. :)

              Dobrova
              whose left index finger is now part of an oversized sideless surcoat

              http://4th.com/sca/justin/
              > PGP Public Key at http://4th.com/keys/justin.pubkey
            • Lisabetta mka Kimberly
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 1, 2002
                They use lots of velvet, which just doesn't hold up
                wear, to wear as daytime garb at most events.

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 1, 2002
                  So, if I bought one of their dresses, I would have to be very careful
                  with it. But no one would look oddly at me for being inappropriately
                  dressed? I am looking for a quick fix here, I guess.

                  Wanted: One dress - NOW!

                  Thanks,

                  Dobrova - who really should be working right now!

                  --- In scanewcomers@y..., Lisabetta mka Kimberly
                  <lisabetta_micola_damonte@y...> wrote:
                  > They use lots of velvet, which just doesn't hold up
                  > wear, to wear as daytime garb at most events.
                  >
                  > --- lady_dobrova <allestra@s...> wrote:
                  > > Thank you, Lisabetta, for your input. Could you
                  > > expand on that a
                  > > bit? When you say they are not good for normal
                  > > wear, do you mean
                  > > they are inappropriate or do you mean they are not
                  > > well made for a
                  > > good rugby match?
                  > >
                  > > Thanks,
                  > >
                  > > Dobrova the underdressed
                • Lisabetta mka Kimberly
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 1, 2002
                    quicker cheaper fix.. go vist swan lace, at trf get an
                    over dress and underdress from them. Will cost you
                    about 200 total.. they are next to indesturable.. if
                    you there on sunday I will prolly be wearing one... i
                    own two..

                    --- lady_dobrova <allestra@...> wrote:
                    > So, if I bought one of their dresses, I would have
                    > to be very careful
                    > with it. But no one would look oddly at me for
                    > being inappropriately
                    > dressed? I am looking for a quick fix here, I
                    > guess.
                    >
                    > Wanted: One dress - NOW!
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    >
                    > Dobrova - who really should be working right now!
                    >

                    > --- In scanewcomers@y..., Lisabetta mka Kimberly
                    > <lisabetta_micola_damonte@y...> wrote:
                    > > They use lots of velvet, which just doesn't hold
                    > up
                    > > wear, to wear as daytime garb at most events.
                    > >
                    > > --- lady_dobrova <allestra@s...> wrote:
                    > > > Thank you, Lisabetta, for your input. Could you
                    > > > expand on that a
                    > > > bit? When you say they are not good for normal
                    > > > wear, do you mean
                    > > > they are inappropriate or do you mean they are
                    > not
                    > > > well made for a
                    > > > good rugby match?
                    > > >
                    > > > Thanks,
                    > > >
                    > > > Dobrova the underdressed

                    > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
                    http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
                  • potwhole
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 1, 2002
                      Does swan lace have a website? Thanks, Karen
                      who has garb from Ophelia's, and loves it. www.fairewear.com
                      but note that the website does not have all of her items on it

                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 1, 2002
                        not to my knowledge, but if i get a few minute on
                        sunday i will try to go ask them

                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 2, 2002
                          In a message dated 11/2/2002 11:32:45 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                          scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

                          > I would like to get the opinion of an
                          > experienced SCAdian (or two or twenty) before I spent a few hundred
                          > dollars on a dress. Could you tell me if any of the gowns they sell
                          > are truly period?

                          Well, I looked at three of the items - the hosen, the Celtic Dress, and the
                          Journe dress.

                          The hosen are totally modern tights except for the fact that they have a
                          drawstring waist (and I'm not aware of any period hosen with drawstring waist
                          either). They are cotton spandex, and as such, fit nothing like period
                          hosen.

                          The so-called Celtic dress is known to be a RenFaire invention, especially
                          the chemise with the gathered sleeves with tthe trim running up them.
                          Calling anything "Celtic" in the Middle Ages and Renaissance is about as
                          meaningless as calling something "European".

                          The Journe dress initially looks good, since they even give you the picture
                          they took it from. But there's no date on the picture, and if you enlarge
                          it, you see that it differs in many ways form the dress they claim to have
                          recreated from it. For example, the picture shows a little shoulder cape or
                          partlet, and the top of the overgown is decidely square, with shoulder straps
                          which appear to be tied on. You can't see the sides of the dress in the
                          picture at all. But their gown has no partlet, a rounded neckline, and no
                          straps, and has clearly visible side lacing.

                          That said, you will see things like these at any SCA event, and they are far
                          better than some attempts. If you want something that's decent enough to
                          start off with, and it's within your price range, you could do worse than
                          their clothes.