Re: [SCA Newcomers] Newbie (sort of)

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 29, 2002
      On Saturday 26 October 2002 10:15, bronwynmgn@... wrote:
      > PS I agree wit the other poster who stated that the best way to get past
      > this stage is to either volunteer to help with something (which means you
      > get to know the person/people you are helping) or to ask people questions
      > about what they are doing and how you can learn to do it (then you get to
      > know that person). SCA folk will, in most cases, talk your ear off gladly
      > if you get them started. :-)

      Excellent advice, Brangwayna!

      My first SCA event was Pennsic 20. No kidding, I went to Pennsic as a first
      event. (Yes, people do that more often than you would think.)

      I felt really out of place even though I was camping with close friends. They
      all had guilds and fighting and classes and such, and I had...nothing. I was
      not with a lady, either, so I really felt alone.

      Then someone suggested I should volunteer to help the event staff. So I did.
      I volunteered at Security, and when they found out I knew something about
      radio protocols, they made me a dispatcher. I met a lot of interesting people
      that way. I also volunteered at Autocrat's Point (which is now called
      Information Point) on the theory that if I were to answer questions for others
      I would have to learn things myself, too. That was also fun.

      While working at Autocrat's Point I had the privilege (and I mean that very
      sincerely) of meeting Baroness Fionna of Rising Waters. This extraordinary
      lady, now sadly gone from our realms, still represents to me the absolute
      pinnacle of what it is to be courteous and noble. I might never have met her
      had I not volunteered that day.

      I offer one word of caution: Volunteering can be addictive! I once volunteered
      to do dishes after an event, ended up drinking wine and singing songs with
      Friar Matthew and his friends in the kitchen while we washed pots and pans,
      and got thoroughly addicted to feast cleanup crew. Many hands make light work,
      and even work can be fun if you approach it with the right attitude. Be
      careful when you volunteer, or you may end up finding a new outlet for fun
      and making new friends!

      Marche of Alderford (Canton, Ohio USA)

      justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/