Re: [SCA Newcomers] looking for name and persona

  • Shaman
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 28, 2002
      A world awaits for you. You have a choice from many cultures and time periods. What suits your fancy? A fully armoured Germanic Knight, a French swash-buckler, A saxon,English bowman, a Dane, Norseman, Japanese samuri, The list is endless. What draws your interest? If you could chose to born in a different century and/or culture what would it be?

      Do you want to be a warrior? if so, the armour requirments dictates what you can or can not be. For example, some very earily light warriors fought with only a spear and helm and NOTHING (ie: naked) else. But the rules in the SCA
      say certian body parts must be protected to allow you to fight as a heavy or light. So to have the 'look' of an early fighter is not possible.

      As to the persona, it should match what you want to be. An Gemanic Knight outfit with a Japanese persona just doesn't fly.

      The following web site: http://awt.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi

      can give you some direction. You can follow you family name back through history. My FAMILY name goes back to the fall of Troy. It bounces from Rome to Gaul to Brition to Norway to Germany to Normandy. That gives me many centuries and cultures. ( We stole the FAMILY name from a grave stone in the 1800's) So you can follow your Family Name on the male or female side or both backwords and 'play' one of your 'Family Name' relatives...