Re: [SCA Newcomers] Weekly Chat

  • BestbytestFA@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 22, 2002
      Dunno. I've only participated in one chat...There was only three of us all
      night. So, my opinion will be sour

      Chris of Argyll
      "Every man dies. Not every man TRULY lives."

    • modanogrrrl
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 22, 2002
        I know there is a chat scheduled for every Tuesday. I was unable to
        chat tonight, but I'd be interseted in fully setting something up.
        Especially if we can enlist the help of established members of the
        SCA who do not mind answering our questions.

        Christian

      • vujadea200@aol.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 22, 2002
          If you all ever have questions and need or just want them answered, throw
          them out here. I know there are established members on this list, and we
          would all be more then happy to answer anything we can. And if we cant, we
          can find someone who can.

          Adena

        • kimrakai@aol.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 23, 2002
            I was playing with joining the SCA. I knew someone a long time ago who took
            me to an event. They owned a shop called Midnight Oile (if I remember
            correctly) they sold trim. It was fun, but what all is involved in
            membership? What do members do?

            Love,
            Kimra Kai Partida
            kimrakai@...

          • Brad Rekkedal
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 23, 2002
              To gain a membership with the SCA, it is quite simple.
              All you do is get a membership form, obtain $42 (that
              also pays for shipping of subscriptions you get(for
              free) when becomming a member). "The Pale" which is a
              kingdom newsletter has a membership form and tells you
              where to send your payment too.

              Now, membership allows you to hold an office, become a
              knight (if you fight), gain awards, become royalty,
              you are able to get other newsletters in addition to
              the free ones you get (you get "The Pale" and
              "Tournaments Illuminated" for free, but starting in
              January you only get "The Pale"). Also, starting in
              January is a non-member surcharge for going to events,
              so becoming a member makes going to lots of events
              cheaper. You can also submit devices and a name.
              That's all I can think of for now. I'm pretty new,
              but I'm a full fledge member. I would suggest
              becoming a member, it is a lot of fun.

              Members do pretty much what you would have seen them
              doing at the event you went too. That's the best way
              I can describe "what they do". Hope I have been of
              some help.

              And I welcome you to the SCA!

              -Andreas of Rudivale

              http://webhosting.yahoo.com/
            • chemistbb3
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 23, 2002
                First and foremost, I encourage everyone to become a full dues paying
                member. I had my blue card in hand before I even contacted my Barony.

                That said, you do not have to be a member of the SCA in order to be a
                part of the fun and live The Dream. You do have to be a member to
                hold offices. If you are not a member, you also have to fill out
                those annoying waviers at events (very time consuming) and it may
                cost you more at events now and it certainly will after the first of
                the year.

                If you do get your membership in before the first of the year, with
                the $35(USD)dues, you will get in under the current rules which gives
                you the Society publications as part of the package, along with your
                kingdom's newletter. After the first of the year, the Society
                publications will be extra, but well worth it from my point of view.
                Another $7 (USD) moves the postage of the publications from bulk to
                first class mail.

                Little known fact is that you can renew for mutliple years (a max of
                3 years total is what I have heard).

                William

                --- In scanewcomers@y..., Brad Rekkedal <raistlin_majere100@y...>
                wrote:
                > To gain a membership with the SCA, it is quite simple.
                > All you do is get a membership form, obtain $42 (that
                > also pays for shipping of subscriptions you get(for
                > free) when becomming a member). "The Pale" which is a
                > kingdom newsletter has a membership form and tells you
                > where to send your payment too.
                >
                > Now, membership allows you to hold an office, become a
                > knight (if you fight), gain awards, become royalty,
                > you are able to get other newsletters in addition to
                > the free ones you get (you get "The Pale" and
                > "Tournaments Illuminated" for free, but starting in
                > January you only get "The Pale"). Also, starting in
                > January is a non-member surcharge for going to events,
                > so becoming a member makes going to lots of events
                > cheaper. You can also submit devices and a name.
                > That's all I can think of for now. I'm pretty new,
                > but I'm a full fledge member. I would suggest
                > becoming a member, it is a lot of fun.
                >
                > Members do pretty much what you would have seen them
                > doing at the event you went too. That's the best way
                > I can describe "what they do". Hope I have been of
                > some help.
                >
                > And I welcome you to the SCA!
                >
                > -Andreas of Rudivale

                > http://webhosting.yahoo.com/
              • Justinos Tekton called Justin
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 23, 2002
                  On Wednesday 23 October 2002 17:21, Brad Rekkedal wrote:
                  > Now, membership allows you to hold an office, become a
                  > knight (if you fight),

                  At least in the Midrealm, and I *think* Society-wide,
                  membership is required for participation in armoured or rapier
                  combat. You can *train* in the MK without a membership but Marshals
                  are required to verify membership when you try to authorize as a
                  fighter.

                  > gain awards,

                  Membership not required in the Middle Kingdom for this, except possibly
                  at the Peerage level (and I'm not sure about that one).

                  > become royalty,
                  > you are able to get other newsletters in addition to
                  > the free ones you get (you get "The Pale" and
                  > "Tournaments Illuminated" for free, but starting in
                  > January you only get "The Pale").

                  "The Pale" if you live in the MK, or its equivalent in other kingdoms.

                  By the way, my personal opinion is that "Tournaments Illuminated" is
                  a *superb* publication, easily worth its subscription price even under
                  the new price schedule. I recommend it without reservation.

                  > Also, starting in
                  > January is a non-member surcharge for going to events,
                  > so becoming a member makes going to lots of events
                  > cheaper.

                  One of the SCA's less-than-inspired ideas, in my personal opinion, but
                  out of the control of most of us. :-(

                  > You can also submit devices and a name.

                  Again, I *believe* membership is not required for that, at least in the
                  Middle Kingdom. Someone correct me if that is wrong.

                  > That's all I can think of for now. I'm pretty new,
                  > but I'm a full fledge member. I would suggest
                  > becoming a member, it is a lot of fun.

                  The main advantages of membership are (1) ability to authorize in combat
                  activities, (2) ability to hold warranted offices, (3) receiving the
                  kingdom newsletter so that you are better able to find events in your
                  area. There is also a discount for Pennsic that pays for a substantial
                  portion of the membership. Between that and, as Andreas points out, the
                  nonmember surcharge fees on several local events, you can essentially get
                  your membership for free if you plan to be active.

                  The intangible benefit of membership is that this organization in which we
                  all like to play needs revenue to cover its costs. We have liability
                  insurance to protect our shires and baronies and kingdoms against lawsuits
                  resulting from site damage or injuries at events. Why? Because the corporate
                  SCA funds the policy out of membership revenues. We have lawyers on staff
                  to answer legal questions pertaining to planned event activities and such.
                  How? Again, funded by membership dues. Membership dues also partially fund
                  the newsletter of each kingdom through a stipend that is issued from the
                  corporate level to each kingdom, in proportion to its population. There
                  are a few paid full- and part-time staff positions that handle a lot of
                  the administrative junk we don't want to have to deal with in our local
                  shires, such as all the IRS paperwork and audit trails each year. Again,
                  this service is funded from membership dues.

                  So if you plan to be active in the SCA, it is to your benefit directly *and*
                  indirectly to support the organization by becoming a paid member. People
                  often comment that not everyone can afford $40+ for a membership. I can
                  sympathize; I'm doing okay now, but in college I was living on $3500/year
                  income including paying half my tuition and books (my parents helped out,
                  fortunately, but I still had as many as three jobs at one time). What
                  I would point out, though, is that it costs around $10 to share pizza with
                  a friend. So, give up four pizzas and you've paid for your SCA membership
                  for an entire year. It's less painful if you look at it that way. :-)

                  Kind regards,

                  Maistor Justinos Tekton called Justin, Publisher and Webmaster
                  SCAtoday.net -- Your independent source for news of the Current Middle Ages

                  justin@... http://scatoday.net/
                • dontwait4themessiah
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 23, 2002
                    In a few of the other SCA groups I'm a part of, we hold chats monthly
                    (like, on the first friday I think), and put it as a repeating event
                    on the calendar so everyone gets the notification about a week in
                    advance.
                    But hey, i'm all for a regular chat. Sounds like fun!

                    Morag
                  • chemistbb3
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 23, 2002
                      I do not think that is true in Ansteorra. I'll have to check.

                      William

                      --- In scanewcomers@y..., Justinos Tekton called Justin <justin@4...>
                      wrote:

                      > At least in the Midrealm, and I *think* Society-wide,
                      > membership is required for participation in armoured or rapier
                      > combat. You can *train* in the MK without a membership but Marshals
                      > are required to verify membership when you try to authorize as a
                      > fighter.
                    • Tina Paxton
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 24, 2002
                        I'm happy to say that I'm now a card carrying member
                        of the SCA. :-)

                        From what I've seen, you don't have to be a member to
                        attend events or meetings but if you want to really
                        get the most out of the organization, you will want to
                        be a member.

                        wrote:
                        > To gain a membership with the SCA, it is quite
                        > simple.
                        > All you do is get a membership form, obtain $42
                        > (that
                        > also pays for shipping of subscriptions you get(for
                        > free) when becomming a member). "The Pale" which is
                        > kingdom newsletter has a membership form and tells
                        > you
                        > where to send your payment too.
                        >
                        > Now, membership allows you to hold an office, become
                        > knight (if you fight), gain awards, become royalty,
                        > you are able to get other newsletters in addition to
                        > the free ones you get (you get "The Pale" and
                        > "Tournaments Illuminated" for free, but starting in
                        > January you only get "The Pale"). Also, starting in
                        > January is a non-member surcharge for going to
                        > events,
                        > so becoming a member makes going to lots of events
                        > cheaper. You can also submit devices and a name.
                        > That's all I can think of for now. I'm pretty new,
                        > but I'm a full fledge member. I would suggest
                        > becoming a member, it is a lot of fun.
                        >
                        > Members do pretty much what you would have seen them
                        > doing at the event you went too. That's the best
                        > way
                        > I can describe "what they do". Hope I have been of
                        > some help.
                        >
                        > And I welcome you to the SCA!
                        >
                        > -Andreas of Rudivale

                        =====
                        Tina (read my blog: http://tinasfiberadventures.blogspot.com/)

                        "She looks for wool and flax And works with her hands in delight. She considers a field and buys it; From her earnings she plants a vineyard. She stretches out her hands to the distaff, And her hands grasp the spindle. She extends her hand to the poor, And she stretches out her hands to the needy. She looks well to the ways of her household, And does not eat the bread of idleness.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 24, 2002
                          As one who just recently joined (got my Blue Card,
                          Yahoo!), I paid a total of $52. This covered the cost
                          of membership, subscription to TL, and I think one
                          other periodical but I'm having a brain fart and can't
                          remember. Anyway, I just wanted to mention that the
                          form I used to join had the membership fee separate
                          from the cost of the various subscriptions. Which is
                          good, I think, as that way you only receive the
                          mailings you want and the Society saves money by not
                          sending items to fill up landfills (God forbid!).

                          I also ordered some back issues of "The Compleat
                          Anachronist". Oh, there, that's my excuse for not
                          remembering...I ordered other things...yeah...that's
                          my story and I'm sticking to it!

                          =====

                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 24, 2002
                            > The main advantages of membership are (1) ability to
                            > authorize in combat
                            > activities, (2) ability to hold warranted offices,

                            Are you sure that 2nd one is an advantage? ;]

                            Julie

                            http://webhosting.yahoo.com/
                          • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 24, 2002
                              On Thursday 24 October 2002 18:03, Green Thumb wrote:
                              > > The main advantages of membership are (1) ability to
                              > > authorize in combat
                              > > activities, (2) ability to hold warranted offices,
                              >
                              > Are you sure that 2nd one is an advantage?

                              Of course it is! Why, as the Database Deputy to the Midrealm Seneschal, I get
                              all these great perks, like:

                              * Great pay! (Oh, wait....I don't get paid)
                              * Glory and fame! (Oh, wait...Hardly anyone knows my paper-pushing job exists)
                              * Free stuff! (Oh, wait...I use my own computer)
                              * Exotic travel! (Oh, wait....I do this in my office at home)
                              * Exciting challenges! (If you call printing the Seneschallorum "exciting")
                              * Women throwing themselves at my feet! (Women who think SQL geeks are hot,
                              which narrows the field to about ..... well .... none)
                              * All the beer I can drink! (Ummm...actually, the MK Seneschal would kill
                              me if I got drunk and erased all the data records, so...)

                              See? Look at all the great stuff you get when you're an officer! <BIG GRIN>

                              Of course, there *is* one small perk: The job that I'm doing is one that no
                              one else had volunteered to do before, and so three people were kinda sorta
                              halfway doing it in between all their other duties -- so it wasn't getting
                              done very fast, or very often. So I do get a feeling of satisfaction from
                              knowing that I'm actually accomplishing something that otherwise wouldn't
                              be accomplished. That actually counts for a lot in the "job satisfaction"
                              department. :-)

                              Maistor Iustinos Tekton called Justin, Publisher and Webmaster
                              SCAtoday.net -- Your independent source for news of the Current Middle Ages

                              justin@... http://scatoday.net/
                            • lisabetta_micola_damonte
                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 29, 2002
                                in ansteorra you do not have to be a paid member to fight

                                --- In scanewcomers@y..., chemistbb3 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                                > I do not think that is true in Ansteorra. I'll have to check.
                                >
                                > William
                                >
                                > --- In scanewcomers@y..., Justinos Tekton called Justin
                                <justin@4...>
                                > wrote:
                                > >
                                > > At least in the Midrealm, and I *think* Society-wide,
                                > > membership is required for participation in armoured or rapier
                                > > combat. You can *train* in the MK without a membership but
                                Marshals
                                > > are required to verify membership when you try to authorize as a
                                > > fighter.
                              • dontwait4themessiah
                                Message 15 of 16 , Oct 30, 2002
                                  Nor here in Lochac- but you do to enter Crown Tourneys and such.
                                  But then again, that won't count for most of you out there, being
                                  from the heart of the Knowne Worlde and all ;)

                                  Morag

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Oct 30, 2002
                                    I do believe membership is a requirement to be Landed Nobility
                                    through out the Knowne World, so it would apply to being in the Crown
                                    Tourney.

                                    William