Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Coronation / To:Brangwayna Morgan

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2002
      In a message dated 10/1/2002 3:40:19 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

      > It is neither necessary nor, usually, convenient, to bring gifts for the
      > Royalty, at least in the Midrealm (admittedly a large kingdom). It is
      > accpetable to do so, but if you want to present anything at Court you need
      > to clear it with the Court Herald first; there is no time in which anyone
      > just says, "So...anyone who wants to do something, now's your chance!"

      Well, in the East, at least, there is often a time when Their New Majesties
      sit in state, usually on the stage/dais where the ceremony took place but
      sometimes at dinner, when one can get in line to swear personal fealty,
      introduce yourself, or give a gift. It is more likely to be able to get to
      do this during this time than in Court, which usually has required business
      which takes up a great deal of time. It is certainly not necessary to give a
      gift, but it is certainly not unheard of, either.
      If you do give a gift, it would be courteous and helpful to place a card with
      it giving the name and contact information of those who gave it. Most
      Royalty try to send thank yous to those who give them gifts, and this will
      make it much easier on the poor secretary who is desperately trying to get
      the names of everyone who gave something and link them up with the correct
      gift.

    • Justinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2002
        On Tuesday 01 October 2002 18:50, bronwynmgn@... wrote:
        > Well, in the East, at least, there is often a time when Their New Majesties
        > sit in state, usually on the stage/dais where the ceremony took place but
        > sometimes at dinner, when one can get in line to swear personal fealty,
        > introduce yourself, or give a gift. It is more likely to be able to get to
        > do this during this time than in Court, which usually has required business
        > which takes up a great deal of time.

        Interesting. I have only seen this done a couple of times in the Midrealm,
        but perhaps I just haven't been there when it happened. Your comment about the
        amount of business *in* Court is well said, and this was the thrust of my
        comments earlier.

        I think the most important point to understand here is that one is neither
        required nor expected to give gifts to the Royalty just because one attends
        Coronation.

        Maistor Justinos Tekton called Justin, Publisher and Webmaster
        SCAtoday.net -- Your independent source for news of the Current Middle Ages

        justin@... http://scatoday.net/