Re: [SCA Newcomers] The Cariadoc Story

  • megrimulf
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 25, 2002
      Justin,

      Thank you so much for sharing that story! The "point" of the story
      is one that more people would do well to heed. If more people
      behaved that way, I bet we'd have a higher rate of new people who
      stick around instead of getting put off by somebody's comments. Such
      things are less common, in my experience, but they do happen. I've
      seen it myself, and more than once have been part of a "rescue
      effort" for some poor newbie to let them know that most of us are not
      jerks who have to make themselves feel superior by putting other
      people down. But I digress ... *lol*

      Anyway, thanks for sharing, and for making me laugh along the way!

      Grímolfr
    • vujadea200@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 25, 2002
        There is nothing inapproriate about it, but I sometime wonder how Cariadoc
        would feel hearing it.

        I guess it was 3 Pennsics ago, could have been 4 or even 5. My sister
        had gotten herself a babysitting job while we were at Pennsic from Offline.
        It was for Caridoc. At the time she got the job, she didnt know who he was,
        and when my parents told her, she kinda flipped out.
        (I have been in the SCA all my life, but since we are in Ansteorra, it
        is to far to Pennsic with two children in the car. My parents decided to wait
        untill me and my sister were older to put us both in the car for the 3 days.
        This is why we ahve only been to 7 Pennsics, but have been in the SCA for 20
        years).
        Anyway, Here me and her are, heading into his camp, and honestly,
        trying to figure out which one he was. We are (of course) looking for a man
        with a white belt, probably with some type of coronet , and we were both
        looking "UP" Thinking that this the man who is an SCA legend. Declared war
        on himself and lost, HE must be huge, He must be big, He must be imposing.
        When she finally asked which one he was, ( with me following) we heard HIM
        from around the corner. When we turned the corner, looking for this GIANT of
        a man, we found Caridoc. Not to say that he isnt a wonderfull fighter, with
        many skills, but he wasent what we expected. ( those of you who know Caridoc
        will understand). For the rest of the war, and still today, me and my sister
        laugh when we think of this SCA demi-God, and our first impression and our
        first meeting.
        ( This is off the subject again, but the same thing happened when I
        met Merald (Bozo the count, because my spelling stinks) at Pennsic. I had
        heard of all these stories, and meeting him was a little funny, but then so
        is he. I have two Aunts who were ( any maybe still are) somewhat well known
        in the SCA and hearing their stories and then meeting hte characters is
        always interesting)

        Adena

      • Justinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 25, 2002
          On Thursday 26 September 2002 01:04, vujadea200@... wrote:
          > There is nothing inapproriate about it, but I sometime wonder how Cariadoc
          > would feel hearing it.

          I predict that Cariadoc would be highly amused. For those who don't know,
          Cariadoc is a man of slight build, about five-foot-five or so and thin. He
          rarely wears a coronet, but rather prefers his Middle Eastern turban to
          more closely match his persona. His unimposing physical appearance belies
          an incisive and insightful wit and a strong personal charisma. The man is
          much more powerful in personality than one would assume.

          Be that as it may, I thank you for sharing a very amusing story!

          Finally, for those interested in learning more about Cariadoc, by reading
          some of his published works, I refer you to the following URL:

          http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/miscellany.html

          Maistor Justinos Tekton called Justin, Publisher and Webmaster
          SCAtoday.net -- Your independent source for news of the Current Middle Ages

          justin@... http://scatoday.net/