Re: [SCA Newcomers] The Cariadoc Story

  • Justinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 25, 2002
      On Wednesday 25 September 2002 18:24, vujadea200@... wrote:
      > Thank you so much for your Cariadoc story. My first time of meeting
      > him wasent nearly as great as yours.

      So....care to elaborate? (off-list if it's not appropriate for a public
      forum?)

      Maistor Justinos Tekton called Justin, Publisher and Webmaster
      SCAtoday.net -- Your independent source for news of the Current Middle Ages

      justin@... http://scatoday.net/
    • megrimulf
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 25, 2002
        Justin,

        Thank you so much for sharing that story! The "point" of the story
        is one that more people would do well to heed. If more people
        behaved that way, I bet we'd have a higher rate of new people who
        stick around instead of getting put off by somebody's comments. Such
        things are less common, in my experience, but they do happen. I've
        seen it myself, and more than once have been part of a "rescue
        effort" for some poor newbie to let them know that most of us are not
        jerks who have to make themselves feel superior by putting other
        people down. But I digress ... *lol*

        Anyway, thanks for sharing, and for making me laugh along the way!

        Grímolfr
      • vujadea200@aol.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 25, 2002
          There is nothing inapproriate about it, but I sometime wonder how Cariadoc
          would feel hearing it.

          I guess it was 3 Pennsics ago, could have been 4 or even 5. My sister
          had gotten herself a babysitting job while we were at Pennsic from Offline.
          It was for Caridoc. At the time she got the job, she didnt know who he was,
          and when my parents told her, she kinda flipped out.
          (I have been in the SCA all my life, but since we are in Ansteorra, it
          is to far to Pennsic with two children in the car. My parents decided to wait
          untill me and my sister were older to put us both in the car for the 3 days.
          This is why we ahve only been to 7 Pennsics, but have been in the SCA for 20
          years).
          Anyway, Here me and her are, heading into his camp, and honestly,
          trying to figure out which one he was. We are (of course) looking for a man
          with a white belt, probably with some type of coronet , and we were both
          looking "UP" Thinking that this the man who is an SCA legend. Declared war
          on himself and lost, HE must be huge, He must be big, He must be imposing.
          When she finally asked which one he was, ( with me following) we heard HIM
          from around the corner. When we turned the corner, looking for this GIANT of
          a man, we found Caridoc. Not to say that he isnt a wonderfull fighter, with
          many skills, but he wasent what we expected. ( those of you who know Caridoc
          will understand). For the rest of the war, and still today, me and my sister
          laugh when we think of this SCA demi-God, and our first impression and our
          first meeting.
          ( This is off the subject again, but the same thing happened when I
          met Merald (Bozo the count, because my spelling stinks) at Pennsic. I had
          heard of all these stories, and meeting him was a little funny, but then so
          is he. I have two Aunts who were ( any maybe still are) somewhat well known
          in the SCA and hearing their stories and then meeting hte characters is
          always interesting)

          Adena

        • Justinos Tekton called Justin
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 25, 2002
            On Thursday 26 September 2002 01:04, vujadea200@... wrote:
            > There is nothing inapproriate about it, but I sometime wonder how Cariadoc
            > would feel hearing it.

            I predict that Cariadoc would be highly amused. For those who don't know,
            Cariadoc is a man of slight build, about five-foot-five or so and thin. He
            rarely wears a coronet, but rather prefers his Middle Eastern turban to
            more closely match his persona. His unimposing physical appearance belies
            an incisive and insightful wit and a strong personal charisma. The man is
            much more powerful in personality than one would assume.

            Be that as it may, I thank you for sharing a very amusing story!

            Finally, for those interested in learning more about Cariadoc, by reading
            some of his published works, I refer you to the following URL:

            http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/miscellany.html