Re: [SCA Newcomers] Midrealm Coronation

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 24 3:13 PM
      In a message dated 9/24/2002 9:56:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

      > Also, what happens at a coronation? There wasn't a whole lot of info on the
      > website for the event.

      I'm going to East Kingdom Coronation, which also happens to be this weekend
      :-)

      As far as what happens, at least around here, the outgoing King and Queen
      hold their last Court, give out final awards, and thank all the people who've
      helped them during the reign. Then they crown their successors and
      disappear.
      After a break, which often includes lunch and the new king and queen sitting
      in state to receive guests and fealties, they then have their first Court,
      name their advisors and guards, and deal with formal business.
      This is usually followed by an elaborate feast.
      There are usually also a lot of merchants.

    • Chris
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 30 1:51 PM
        I also am to attend a coronation in my Shire next month...is it
        proper to bring anything(for either incoming or outgoing)?
      • Justinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 30 2:15 PM
          On Monday 30 September 2002 16:51, Chris wrote:
          > I also am to attend a coronation in my Shire next month...is it
          > proper to bring anything(for either incoming or outgoing)?

          It is neither necessary nor, usually, convenient, to bring gifts for the
          Royalty, at least in the Midrealm (admittedly a large kingdom). It is
          accpetable to do so, but if you want to present anything at Court you need
          to clear it with the Court Herald first; there is no time in which anyone
          just says, "So...anyone who wants to do something, now's your chance!"

          Here in the Midrealm, the Coronation is typically an extremely busy day
          for the Royalty and those helping to organize the event itself. My suggestion,
          therefore, is that if you wish to offer a gift to either incoming or outgoing
          Royals, that you do so at another venue besides Coronation. An exception to
          this would be if you are wanting to organize or create something truly
          extraordinary (i.e., a major A&S project, involving many people, for instance).
          In that case, it might be appropriate to make the presentation at Coronation.

          All of this is said from the perspective of a Midrealm subject. Your Kingdom
          May Vary. (YKMV)

          Maistor Justinos Tekton called Justin, Publisher and Webmaster
          SCAtoday.net -- Your independent source for news of the Current Middle Ages

          justin@... http://scatoday.net/
        • chemistbb3
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 30 4:34 PM
            You might want to check with your local group to see if they are
            putting something together. At the last coronation I attended, our
            Barony got together and gave the incoming a small basket. It had a
            calling card in it and a Walmart gift card. They could call and get
            directions to the events they were suppose to be at or the directions
            to the nearest Walmart to pick up what ever it was they forgot to
            pack. Kind of small stuff, but very useful.

            William