1st competition, 1st event

  • forrestchylde13
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 21, 2002
      Greetings Gentlefolk,
      I thought I would introduce myself, and let all know about my
      day. I went to Glaslyn's Defender and artisan of the Flame today, for
      my first event, and entered a couple of my carvings in the artisan
      competition, and all in all had a wonderful day. I am very glad to
      have found the SCA when I did, as it is filling a hole in my life
      created by my divorce. The people I have met have been absolutly
      wonderful, and very complementary of my carvings as well. I do need
      some help with my name though. Anyone fluent in gaelic would be very
      appreciated if they could offer assistance. Next week is Elfsea
      Defender, and I will be attending that event as well, hopefully I
      will be authorized to compete in the light fighting competitions by
      then, as I have really enjoyed fencing. Anyone planning to attend let
      me know, I would love to meet you, as I know very few people in the
      SCA and can never have too many friends. Thanx for listening.
      Rod
    • raeadhani
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 22, 2002
        And of course, after you meet Dohmnall, you'll have to meet me.

        I'm just as new, it'll be nice to have someone to look the fool
        with. ;)

        I wander around, more often than not, I don't sit still. Though, I'm
        hard to catch, I'm not hard to spot.
      • rod lindsey
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 26, 2002
          more than likely I'll be in the scottish camp even though I know no one there, and my lowner garb definitely isn't scottish, but oh well. Look me up, or i will look you up. I'll just look for the tall bouncy redhead, and we can play the fools together.
          raeadhani wrote:And of course, after you meet Dohmnall, you'll have to meet me.

          I'm just as new, it'll be nice to have someone to look the fool
          with. ;)

          I wander around, more often than not, I don't sit still. Though, I'm
          hard to catch, I'm not hard to spot.

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • megrimulf
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 26, 2002
            You guys have fun at Elfsea Defender! I'm jealous; I wanna go!
            Couldn't find anyone to carpool with, though, so it wasn't
            practical. I do, however, have carpoolers and will be heading out at
            6:00am (Friday) for Diamond Wars in Meridies, so that'll be fun.
            I've never been to an event in Meridies, unless you count that tiny
            one in March... what's it called? Oh, that's right, Gulf Wars.
            That's it. A thing of little consequence, so that doesn't count,
            right? *lol* Anyway, let us know how your experiences at Elfsea
            Defender are!

            Grímolfr
            --howamIgoingtogetmytongueoutofmycheeknow?--
          • raeadhani
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 26, 2002
              I'm probably just going to stay away from the culture camps and
              sleep with the mundanes...wait...let me rephrase that.. I'll camp
              with the mundanes.

              While the clothes I'm taking are mostly either irish or scot, I dont
              think I should barge into the scot camp and end up throwin something
              off balance ;) See ya this weekend

              The Russian in Scots clothing;
              Katja

              --- In scanewcomers@y..., rod lindsey <forrestchylde13@y...> wrote:

              > more than likely I'll be in the scottish camp even though I know
              no one there, and my lowner garb definitely isn't scottish, but oh
              well. Look me up, or i will look you up. I'll just look for the
              tall bouncy redhead, and we can play the fools together.
              > raeadhani wrote:And of course, after you meet Dohmnall, you'll
              have to meet me.

              > I'm just as new, it'll be nice to have someone to look the fool
              > with. ;)
              >
              > I wander around, more often than not, I don't sit still. Though,
              I'm
              > hard to catch, I'm not hard to spot.

            • Tina Paxton
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 27, 2002
                Is your persona Scottish? If so, Highland Scot or
                Lowland Scot? My persona is Lallan Scotia (Lowland
                Scot) attached to the Hume Clan who are Border
                Reivers. Depending on where your persona dwells, you
                may or may not have need of a kilt or tartan.

                Cristiane Packstoun

                --- rod lindsey <forrestchylde13@...> wrote:

                > more than likely I'll be in the scottish camp even
                > though I know no one there, and my lowner garb
                > definitely isn't scottish, but oh well.

                =====
                Tina (read my blog: http://tinasfiberadventures.blogspot.com/)

                "She looks for wool and flax And works with her hands in delight. She considers a field and buys it; From her earnings she plants a vineyard. She stretches out her hands to the distaff, And her hands grasp the spindle. She extends her hand to the poor, And she stretches out her hands to the needy. She looks well to the ways of her household, And does not eat the bread of idleness.

                http://sbc.yahoo.com
              • rod lindsey

                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 30, 2002
                      Ignore the so-called charming lady behind the curtain.

                      Falconrose greatly appreciated the help from this dear man and his
                      two wonderful girls during our tear down of camp. He was a great
                      help to everyone, especially since one of us was a gimp with only
                      one working arm. *ahem*

                      This particular lady is very much in his debt as, as I found out,
                      there would have been no way I would have made it all the way back
                      home had he not put gas in my car.

                      And I will, and must, apologize yet again for my appearance the
                      first time he saw me.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 2, 2002
                        Glad you had such a good experience! Sorry I missed it. Had fun at
                        Diamond Wars, but in many ways it was a bit of a letdown. Should
                        have gone to Elfsea...

                        Grímolfr

                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 2, 2002
                          Again, I am sorry to have missed the event. Very good that the
                          gentleman was able to be of so much assistance to you. That's one of
                          my favorite things about the SCA: you meet so many wonderful people
                          who are willing to do things like that. If you don't have an SCA
                          sticker on the back of your vehicle, get one soon! There are many
                          stories of people getting roadside assistance on the way to and from
                          events because other SCAdians saw the sticker on a vehicle pulled off
                          the road.

                          Grímolfr

                          --- In scanewcomers@y..., raeadhani <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                          > Ignore the so-called charming lady behind the curtain.
                          >
                          > Falconrose greatly appreciated the help from this dear man and his
                          > two wonderful girls during our tear down of camp. He was a great
                          > help to everyone, especially since one of us was a gimp with only
                          > one working arm. *ahem*
                          >
                          > This particular lady is very much in his debt as, as I found out,
                          > there would have been no way I would have made it all the way back
                          > home had he not put gas in my car.
                          >
                          > And I will, and must, apologize yet again for my appearance the
                          > first time he saw me.
                          >
                          > Katja
                        • Andi
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 2, 2002
                            --- In scanewcomers@y..., "megrimulf" <megrimulf@y...> wrote:
                            If you don't have an SCA
                            > sticker on the back of your vehicle, get one soon! There are
                            many
                            > stories of people getting roadside assistance on the way to
                            and from
                            > events because other SCAdians saw the sticker on a vehicle
                            pulled off
                            > the road.
                            >
                            > Grímolfr

                            Grimolfr,

                            What kind of sticker are you referring to?

                            Andi
                            soon to be know as Richill of Cardiff
                          • chemistbb3
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 2, 2002
                              There are a couple of places that sell both the generic SCA and also
                              Kingdom bumper / window decals. The only one I remember off the top
                              of my head is Pillaged Village (sp?). They have a website.

                              William

                              --- In scanewcomers@y..., "Andi" <andi@d...> wrote:

                              > Grimolfr,
                              >
                              > What kind of sticker are you referring to?
                              >
                              > Andi
                              > soon to be know as Richill of Cardiff
                            • dontwait4themessiah
                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 8, 2002
                                And don't they sell them at events, too? I know they sell the generic
                                ones at least at Rowany Fesitval (our biggish kingdom thing)

                                Morag