chainmail

  • maston_semper
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 16, 2002
      does anyone use chainmail for battle? I am curious to see if there
      is a need for it or if i am just wasting my time. Anywho let me
      know. I am new to the group and I have been looking to join SCA for
      a few months now but the meetings fall on work nites for me :( But
      i will find a way to join hehe. Let me know what you all think

      Maston Semper
    • Brad Rekkedal
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 16, 2002
        > does anyone use chainmail for battle? I am curious
        > to see if there
        > is a need for it or if i am just wasting my time.
        > Anywho let me
        > know.

        Our marshal for the Shire of Rudivale and often
        marshal at other events, Tashfin, fights in Chainmail
        and I am currently making a shirt for my own armor.
        It is a cheap way of getting body armor, especially if
        you don't mind the time needed to make it. I got all
        the supplies I needed to make it for under 30 dollars.
        Of course using the cheapest metal, galvanized 14
        gauge electric fence wire, nothing like aluminum or
        stainless steal.

        If you have other body armor, and just want teh chain
        mail for the joints, then you could probably go with
        out, but their is still a risk of getting hit between
        armor pieces. Or you could actually sew the mail onto
        your gambason at strategic points and not have to
        bother making an entire shirt, this lessens the
        weight, especially if you have other body armor.

        I'm fairly new so take my words with a grain of salt.
        I think I am qouting my superiors, but I could have
        misenterpreted or misunderstood and the like(you know
        all about that grape vine thing). I hope I provided
        some help.

        -Devoted Exchequer and Fighter of Rudivale,

        Andreas

        Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
        http://news.yahoo.com
      • chemistbb3
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 17, 2002
          There are a couple of people I know who fight in maille. I myself
          have a catmail / aventail (SP? on both). It keeps me from having to
          use a gorget down here.

          William

          --- In scanewcomers@y..., "maston_semper" <maston_semper@y...> wrote:
          > does anyone use chainmail for battle? I am curious to see if
          there
          > is a need for it or if i am just wasting my time. Anywho let me
          > know. I am new to the group and I have been looking to join SCA
          for
          > a few months now but the meetings fall on work nites for me :( But
          > i will find a way to join hehe. Let me know what you all think
          >
          > Maston Semper
        • maston_semper
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 28, 2002
            If you are looking for chainmail armor let me know I can make a wide
            variety of items from coifs to hauberks and also jewerly. All items
            are custom made contact me to get further info.