Re: [SCA Newcomers] Could I get some opinions?

  • Brad Rekkedal
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 7, 2002
      Hello Everyone,

      I've been in the SCA about 2-3, yet I'm sure like
      most, still feel very new. I don't even have a name
      picked out yet. But I do know that I would have come
      from the Low Countries and was most likely Dutch
      around the 1400's. I have come close to picking a
      name and that's where my question comes in. I am
      having trouble deciding on a final form of the name.
      It's almost the same name with several variations
      using 3 different given names. Here they are for your
      critique!

      Andreas Theunisz van Winterswijc

      Andreas Theuniszoen van Winterswijc

      Andreas Marceliszoen van Winterwsijc

      Theunis Andriessoen van Winterwsijc

      Mercelis Andriessoen van Winterswijc

      Marsclis Andriessoen van Winterswijc

      Please let me know which ones you like the best and
      for any experts lurking out there, let me know if you
      see a problem. Thanks!

      -Brad the Nameless

      http://finance.yahoo.com
    • Justinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 8, 2002
        On Saturday 07 September 2002 19:43, Brad Rekkedal wrote:

        > Andreas Theunisz van Winterswijc
        >
        > Andreas Theuniszoen van Winterswijc
        >
        > Andreas Marceliszoen van Winterwsijc
        >
        > Theunis Andriessoen van Winterwsijc
        >
        > Mercelis Andriessoen van Winterswijc
        >
        > Marsclis Andriessoen van Winterswijc

        Greetings, Brad the Nameless!

        I'm far from an expert on Dutch names, but one thing I learned with regard
        to my own name is that it's very helpful to have a first name that people
        can (1) remember, (2) pronounce, and (3) spell. My real name, "Justinos",
        is actually pronounced "Hkhyoostinohs" where the "hkhy" part is kind of this
        choking sound. No one, including me, who is not a native Greek speaker can
        really say it properly.

        But "Justin" has worked out very well for me as an everyday Anglicized version
        of "Justinos". So I am registering "Justinos Tekton" but will continue (as I
        have for twelve plus years) to use "Justin" in everyday speech. "Justinos
        Tekton" is currently pending at Society level for registration, having been
        passed by Kingdom.

        What this means to you is that you may want to favor the versions of your name
        that have an easy-to-pronounce first name, with the longer Dutch-sounding
        portions as the middle and surnames. Andreas would be *really* easy for people
        to remember, and Theunis probably would as well. I am not sure how commonly
        Andreas is used already, but I can't recall ever meeting an Andreas before,
        so perhaps it is not as commonly used as one would think. (There are drawbacks
        to picking a name that is *too* commonly used...my lady decided to forgo using
        "Katerina" after a while because if someone said the name at an event, six
        ladies would turn to see who was addressing them!)

        Being not a Herald, my opinion is probably worth exactly what you paid for it.
        <GRIN> But there you have it, for what it's worth. :-)

        By the way, I'm amused that you are using Brad the Nameless now. I happen to
        work for a small consulting company called "Sine Nomine Associates". Sine
        Nomine is Latin for "Nameless." (http://sinenomine.net/ if you happen to
        be curious what we do.) So perhaps you could be Bradlius Sine Nomine!

        Kind regards,

        Marche of Alderford (Canton, Ohio USA)

        justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
      • Mary-Henline
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 8, 2002
          I havvvve to ask, dear. What is Latin for Mary Henline?

          Grins. I know it has to deal with chickens, right?

          Mary
          (*Dee*)
          On Saturday 07 September 2002 19:43, Brad Rekkedal wrote:

          > Andreas Theunisz van Winterswijc
          >
          > Andreas Theuniszoen van Winterswijc
          >
          > Andreas Marceliszoen van Winterwsijc
          >
          > Theunis Andriessoen van Winterwsijc
          >
          > Mercelis Andriessoen van Winterswijc
          >
          > Marsclis Andriessoen van Winterswijc

          Greetings, Brad the Nameless!

          I'm far from an expert on Dutch names, but one thing I learned with regard
          to my own name is that it's very helpful to have a first name that people
          can (1) remember, (2) pronounce, and (3) spell. My real name, "Justinos",
          is actually pronounced "Hkhyoostinohs" where the "hkhy" part is kind of this
          choking sound. No one, including me, who is not a native Greek speaker can
          really say it properly.

          But "Justin" has worked out very well for me as an everyday Anglicized version
          of "Justinos". So I am registering "Justinos Tekton" but will continue (as I
          have for twelve plus years) to use "Justin" in everyday speech. "Justinos
          Tekton" is currently pending at Society level for registration, having been
          passed by Kingdom.

          What this means to you is that you may want to favor the versions of your name
          that have an easy-to-pronounce first name, with the longer Dutch-sounding
          portions as the middle and surnames. Andreas would be *really* easy for people
          to remember, and Theunis probably would as well. I am not sure how commonly
          Andreas is used already, but I can't recall ever meeting an Andreas before,
          so perhaps it is not as commonly used as one would think. (There are drawbacks
          to picking a name that is *too* commonly used...my lady decided to forgo using
          "Katerina" after a while because if someone said the name at an event, six
          ladies would turn to see who was addressing them!)

          Being not a Herald, my opinion is probably worth exactly what you paid for it.
          <GRIN> But there you have it, for what it's worth. :-)

          By the way, I'm amused that you are using Brad the Nameless now. I happen to
          work for a small consulting company called "Sine Nomine Associates". Sine
          Nomine is Latin for "Nameless." (http://sinenomine.net/ if you happen to
          be curious what we do.) So perhaps you could be Bradlius Sine Nomine!

          Kind regards,

          Marche of Alderford (Canton, Ohio USA)

          justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Justinos Tekton called Justin
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 8, 2002
            On Sunday 08 September 2002 12:28, Mary-Henline wrote:
            > I havvvve to ask, dear. What is Latin for Mary Henline?
            >
            > Grins. I know it has to deal with chickens, right?

            I'm not enough of a Latin scholar to be able to translate that, but I think
            in French it would be something like "Madamoiselle Marie de la Rue-Poulet" if
            one assumes that "line" might have meant "street." What I wrote here translates
            roughly as "Miss Mary of Chicken Road." Face it, even in French, your name
            still tastes like chicken. ;-)

            Justin
            (Running and hiding....gads, it's been a long time since high school French,
            and eeeek! we have a shire meeting Tuesday and Mary's gonna kill me!)