new to sca

  • londoncat68
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 6, 2002
      Hi everyone,
      I am new to the sca and am in the process of making my persona,
      however, I am looking for links to France within the 1400-1600. Does
      anyone know a site that would offer, clothing info, hairstyles etc
      from that time? Thanks!!
    • chemistbb3
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 7, 2002
        You can try this site for some basic costuming.

        http://www.siue.edu/COSTUMES/history.html

        You will need to scroll through the site to get to late period French
        garb, but there is some there. I'm not sure of the hair styles there
        are any good though.

        William

        --- In scanewcomers@y..., "londoncat68" <londoncat68@y...> wrote:
        > Hi everyone,
        > I am new to the sca and am in the process of making my persona,
        > however, I am looking for links to France within the 1400-1600.
        Does
        > anyone know a site that would offer, clothing info, hairstyles etc
        > from that time? Thanks!!
      • Brad Rekkedal
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 7, 2002
          Hello Everyone,

          I've been in the SCA about 2-3, yet I'm sure like
          most, still feel very new. I don't even have a name
          picked out yet. But I do know that I would have come
          from the Low Countries and was most likely Dutch
          around the 1400's. I have come close to picking a
          name and that's where my question comes in. I am
          having trouble deciding on a final form of the name.
          It's almost the same name with several variations
          using 3 different given names. Here they are for your
          critique!

          Andreas Theunisz van Winterswijc

          Andreas Theuniszoen van Winterswijc

          Andreas Marceliszoen van Winterwsijc

          Theunis Andriessoen van Winterwsijc

          Mercelis Andriessoen van Winterswijc

          Marsclis Andriessoen van Winterswijc

          Please let me know which ones you like the best and
          for any experts lurking out there, let me know if you
          see a problem. Thanks!

          -Brad the Nameless

          http://finance.yahoo.com
        • Justinos Tekton called Justin
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 8, 2002
            On Saturday 07 September 2002 19:43, Brad Rekkedal wrote:

            > Andreas Theunisz van Winterswijc
            >
            > Andreas Theuniszoen van Winterswijc
            >
            > Andreas Marceliszoen van Winterwsijc
            >
            > Theunis Andriessoen van Winterwsijc
            >
            > Mercelis Andriessoen van Winterswijc
            >
            > Marsclis Andriessoen van Winterswijc

            Greetings, Brad the Nameless!

            I'm far from an expert on Dutch names, but one thing I learned with regard
            to my own name is that it's very helpful to have a first name that people
            can (1) remember, (2) pronounce, and (3) spell. My real name, "Justinos",
            is actually pronounced "Hkhyoostinohs" where the "hkhy" part is kind of this
            choking sound. No one, including me, who is not a native Greek speaker can
            really say it properly.

            But "Justin" has worked out very well for me as an everyday Anglicized version
            of "Justinos". So I am registering "Justinos Tekton" but will continue (as I
            have for twelve plus years) to use "Justin" in everyday speech. "Justinos
            Tekton" is currently pending at Society level for registration, having been
            passed by Kingdom.

            What this means to you is that you may want to favor the versions of your name
            that have an easy-to-pronounce first name, with the longer Dutch-sounding
            portions as the middle and surnames. Andreas would be *really* easy for people
            to remember, and Theunis probably would as well. I am not sure how commonly
            Andreas is used already, but I can't recall ever meeting an Andreas before,
            so perhaps it is not as commonly used as one would think. (There are drawbacks
            to picking a name that is *too* commonly used...my lady decided to forgo using
            "Katerina" after a while because if someone said the name at an event, six
            ladies would turn to see who was addressing them!)

            Being not a Herald, my opinion is probably worth exactly what you paid for it.
            <GRIN> But there you have it, for what it's worth. :-)

            By the way, I'm amused that you are using Brad the Nameless now. I happen to
            work for a small consulting company called "Sine Nomine Associates". Sine
            Nomine is Latin for "Nameless." (http://sinenomine.net/ if you happen to
            be curious what we do.) So perhaps you could be Bradlius Sine Nomine!

            Kind regards,

            Marche of Alderford (Canton, Ohio USA)

            justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
          • Mary-Henline
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 8, 2002
              I havvvve to ask, dear. What is Latin for Mary Henline?

              Grins. I know it has to deal with chickens, right?

              Mary
              (*Dee*)
              On Saturday 07 September 2002 19:43, Brad Rekkedal wrote:

              > Andreas Theunisz van Winterswijc
              >
              > Andreas Theuniszoen van Winterswijc
              >
              > Andreas Marceliszoen van Winterwsijc
              >
              > Theunis Andriessoen van Winterwsijc
              >
              > Mercelis Andriessoen van Winterswijc
              >
              > Marsclis Andriessoen van Winterswijc

              Greetings, Brad the Nameless!

              I'm far from an expert on Dutch names, but one thing I learned with regard
              to my own name is that it's very helpful to have a first name that people
              can (1) remember, (2) pronounce, and (3) spell. My real name, "Justinos",
              is actually pronounced "Hkhyoostinohs" where the "hkhy" part is kind of this
              choking sound. No one, including me, who is not a native Greek speaker can
              really say it properly.

              But "Justin" has worked out very well for me as an everyday Anglicized version
              of "Justinos". So I am registering "Justinos Tekton" but will continue (as I
              have for twelve plus years) to use "Justin" in everyday speech. "Justinos
              Tekton" is currently pending at Society level for registration, having been
              passed by Kingdom.

              What this means to you is that you may want to favor the versions of your name
              that have an easy-to-pronounce first name, with the longer Dutch-sounding
              portions as the middle and surnames. Andreas would be *really* easy for people
              to remember, and Theunis probably would as well. I am not sure how commonly
              Andreas is used already, but I can't recall ever meeting an Andreas before,
              so perhaps it is not as commonly used as one would think. (There are drawbacks
              to picking a name that is *too* commonly used...my lady decided to forgo using
              "Katerina" after a while because if someone said the name at an event, six
              ladies would turn to see who was addressing them!)

              Being not a Herald, my opinion is probably worth exactly what you paid for it.
              <GRIN> But there you have it, for what it's worth. :-)

              By the way, I'm amused that you are using Brad the Nameless now. I happen to
              work for a small consulting company called "Sine Nomine Associates". Sine
              Nomine is Latin for "Nameless." (http://sinenomine.net/ if you happen to
              be curious what we do.) So perhaps you could be Bradlius Sine Nomine!

              Kind regards,

              Marche of Alderford (Canton, Ohio USA)

              justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • Justinos Tekton called Justin
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 8, 2002
                On Sunday 08 September 2002 12:28, Mary-Henline wrote:
                > I havvvve to ask, dear. What is Latin for Mary Henline?
                >
                > Grins. I know it has to deal with chickens, right?

                I'm not enough of a Latin scholar to be able to translate that, but I think
                in French it would be something like "Madamoiselle Marie de la Rue-Poulet" if
                one assumes that "line" might have meant "street." What I wrote here translates
                roughly as "Miss Mary of Chicken Road." Face it, even in French, your name
                still tastes like chicken. ;-)

                Justin
                (Running and hiding....gads, it's been a long time since high school French,
                and eeeek! we have a shire meeting Tuesday and Mary's gonna kill me!)