Hi

  • RoseFuriosa@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 5, 2002
      Hi,
      I am new to the list, so I will make this introduction rather quick. My name
      is Angela, I live in TN with my husband and our five kids (hands out smelling
      salts to all who have passed out..five kids..wow lol). I am 29 years old.
      Stay at home mom, seamstress and plan on going back to school for my Cert.
      Medical Ass't degree. I am also working on a Doula cert. Thinking about a
      Yoga cert, but haven't decided on that.
      Have always wanted to be apart of the SCA, and didn't believe there was
      anyone in my area that did this. I make my own clothes and my husband tinkers
      away at making his own armor and such.and I was happy to find a shire in my
      town and a kingdom in my state. After I get my family moved in the next
      month, I will be sending in my membership.
      This site has been helpful with personas and names...etc Thank you very much.
      That's about it.
      Angela

    • Selena
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 9 4:57 PM
        My husband and I are interested in joining a group here in Washington,
        but I have a question for any or all of you..how do you go about
        picking a persona?? and a name, I found the list with the french names
        but as they appear to be noble, no dice..help...

        Thanks
      • clanyoungvp
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 9 5:31 PM
          "For the begginer" websites.
          - Hobbe

          http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/whatis/name.html
          http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/dietmar/hints.html
          http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/
          http://www2.kumc.edu/itc/staff/rknight/Names.htm

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Selena" <selenadepp@...> wrote:

          > My husband and I are interested in joining a group here in
          Washington,
          > but I have a question for any or all of you..how do you go about
          > picking a persona?? and a name, I found the list with the french
          names
          > but as they appear to be noble, no dice..help...
          >
          > Thanks

        • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 9 8:45 PM
            Selena wrote:
            > . . .how do you go about picking. . .a name

            The simplest way to get an authentic name is to look at lists of period
            names from a single culture (the one you want to portray), and pick two
            name elements you like. How name elements fit together and how names
            are constructed vary from culture to culture, so you'll want to make
            sure the ones you select "go together" and that you're using the
            correct spelling, declensions, etc.

            The best online source is the Academy of St. Gabriel's Medieval Names
            Archive <http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/>. Start with their general
            articles on choosing a name, and then move to the information for the
            culture you've chosen.

            Your local heralds can help with the process, and will have books you
            can use for reference (at least for some cultures).

            Coblaith Mhuimhneach
            Barony of Bryn Gwlad
            Kingdom of Ansteorra
            <mailto:Coblaith@...>
          • Jeff Suzuki
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 9 9:17 PM
              --- Selena <selenadepp@...> wrote:

              > My husband and I are interested in joining a group
              > here in Washington,
              > but I have a question for any or all of you..how do
              > you go about
              > picking a persona??

              First: Relax, you don't need to pick one right
              away...realistically, you don't need to pick one at
              all. The bottom line is that in the SCA, you are
              defined by what you choose to do.

              Second: You might find that your interests cluster
              around a particular time period or a particular
              culture, and can be modified to include both. This is
              usually a good place to start. For example, I find
              myself interested in 16th century Japan, and had
              interests in fighting, cooking, and performing. As it
              turns out, very few people cooked Japanese food or
              told Japanese stories, both of which I'm very familiar
              with. The net result was that I ended up with a
              Japanese persona (Fujimoto, 16th century Japan).

              Third: You may find your interests changing. No
              problem; you can keep the persona you have or you can
              make up a new one. For example, I fell in with the
              wrong crowd...commedia performers...did a bunch of
              performance, some directing and writing. Not really
              appropriate for a Japanese persona, so I created a new
              one (Alessandro, 16th century Italy). Simultaneously
              I began dabbling with teaching mathematics (my mundane
              profession), and needed an academic persona (William,
              16th Century England).

              This is why I sign my posts,
              Jeffs/etc.

              http://mail.yahoo.com