Re: [SCA Newcomers] Newcomer name and lineage

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 3, 2002
      In a message dated 9/2/2002 10:52:04 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

      <<Thank you so much for your help with this Lady Morgan.>>

      Lady Brangwayna is actually the correct usage, since I don't (and can't by
      SCA rules) claim to hold the Morgan lands...

      > My personas basic make up would be born in Kent, England, between 455-470
      > AD...the time of King Arthur Geoffrey of Monmouth..Grandfather is a knight
      > with the past and previous King, father didnt want it and became a merchant
      > (what kind of merchant still needs to be decided)..Ezekial wants to follow
      > in his grandfathers footsteps, seeing I want to become a fighter and soon
      > to be knight...I know alot has to be filled in especially when it comes to
      > the specfics of the time period..money used, how they told time, manners,
      > skills, historic event, hobbies, and so on..Am I on the right track or do
      > major changes needed to be made? Thank you so much for your help with this
      > Lady Morgan.

      OK, we have a bigger problem here than whether or not you could register the
      name Ezekial Raines. You're not only possibly mixing cultural names, but
      cultural time periods as well.
      Hereditary surnames like Raines were extremely rare, if not totally unheard
      of, in the British Isles in the late 5th century AD. They didn't really come
      into play until at least the end of the 12th century, and even then they were
      not universal. Now, you could possibly still register (or use; names don't
      HAVE to be registered) Ezekial Raines (names are registered based on internal
      consistency of the name, and whether it is more important that it reflect a
      certain culture or a certain time period, and don't have to be justified to
      the persona) and dress and act as a 5th century Romano-Britain, but it would
      be like naming yourself Dweezil Zappa and playing a person from the American
      Revolutionary War era, or an Elizabethan nobleman - the name would be so far
      in the future from the character that it would never have happened. In that
      time period, you would most likely have had either a Celtic name or a Roman
      name. I'm not sure if there were any Jews in England in that time period.

      Also, in that time period the whole concept of the knight barely exists
      except as a mounted soldier; it certainly wasn't established to the point of
      being able to decline a knighthood and turn to another career. Turning down
      or buying your way out of a knighthood is much more a 14th century or later
      thing. In the 5th century, you would either have been a soldier or been
      something else, and not really had the choice one way or the other as you
      felt like it.

      I think you probably need to do some good historical reading on the late 5th
      century in Britain, and then think about whether it is the time period you
      want or the character you want, because the two don't seem to coincide. The
      character you are working on sounds much more like a 14th-16th century
      character. The cultures of the two times are so vastly different that a
      character from one would be drastically out of place in the other.