Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re:Chirurgeon

  • Justinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 29, 2002
      On Tuesday 27 August 2002 08:57, seticat wrote:
      > The requirements to become warranted as a Chirurgeon in the SCA are:
      > A current certification equal to the American Red Cross Basic First Aid or
      > St. John's Basic.
      > A current certification in Adult CPR.
      > Current paid membership in the SCA.
      > Each Kingdom is a bit different, but all practice some from of
      > apprentice-ship when you provide care under the supervision of a warranted
      > Chirurgeon and are okay'd a competent and safe to practice within the
      > guidelines of the warrent. Each Kingdom website should list their Kingdom
      > Chirurgeon's office. They are the folks to start with.

      If I recall correctly, the original person posting the question is from the
      Midrealm. If that is the situation, then you need to:

      1. Acquire training in adult CPR (as a minimum) from the Red Cross, or the
      American Heart Association, or from some other source approved by the
      Kingdom Chirurgeon

      2. Acquire training in Red Cross Standard First Aid or approved equivalent.
      If you have a higher medical certification (for instance, I'm an Ohio
      EMT-B) this counts in lieu of the First Aid requirement.

      3. Send copies of the above cards, plus a copy of your SCA proof of membership
      (card, or Kingdom newsletter mailing label, or postcard from Milpitas), plus
      a copy of a photo-bearing ID proving you are 18 years of age or older, to
      the Kingdom Chirurgeon. Add a brief cover letter (just a note, really)
      indicating that you wish to be an Apprentice Chirurgeon.

      4. Read and understand the Chirurgeon's Handbook. Incidentally, a new version
      of this document will be released in the next few weeks, if all goes well.

      5. Work at least four event shifts under the supervision of a Journeyman or
      Master Chirurgeon. You don't have to be supervised by the same person each
      time, and you apprentice "at large" in the Kingdom. NOTE: Contrary to a
      very common myth, one does not become an apprentice "to" a particular
      Chirurgeon. NOTE 2: Contrary to another popular myth, it does not require
      a Master Chirurgeon to supervise apprentices. Journeymen can do so also.

      6. Once the evaluation forms from these event shifts reach the Kingdom
      Chirurgeon, you will receive a warrant as a Journeyman. You have to file
      as a minimum one Domesday report per year and work at least one event,
      plus keep your medical certs and membership current. Quarterly reports
      are also requested, but you don't lose your warrant if you miss one,
      so long as your Domesday was current.

      The apprentice shifts normally last the duration of a one-day event, or
      equivalent. A four-hour duty shift at Pennsic counts as one event shift,
      and the Midrealm allows you to do up to three of your four shifts this
      way. At least one must be at a regular event, though, because Pennsic is
      so atypical that they want you to have at least some non-Pennsic experience.

      This is the current policy in the Midrealm, to the best of my knowledge.
      http://www.midrealm.org/chirurgeon/ is the "canonical" source of this
      information, and I encourage you to read the material under that section
      of the Middle Kingdom web site.

      I should also mention that there is a YahooGroups list for Chirurgeons.
      People who are not yet Chirurgeons, but who wish to be, are also welcome on
      the list. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sca-chirurgeon

      And there is a Midrealm Chirurgeon mailing list, but not on Yahoo. Go to
      the previously-mentioned Midrealm Chirurgeon web site to find the info about
      this list.

      Kind regards,

      Deputy War Chirurgeon -- Pennsic XXXII

      justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/