Re: [SCA Newcomers] Two Questions

  • Jane Allard Gray
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 28 7:54 AM
      --- queen_of_the_mask <fierydragonlady@...>
      wrote:
      > have an idea for the name, does anyone have anysites
      > where i could
      > find out if Leandra or Lilith were used in the SCA
      > times?

      Below is what I found doing a search for Lilith at the
      Academy of Saint Gabriel, http://www.s-gabriel.org/
      (I also did a search for Leandra and came back with
      three results. I�m not going to post those here,
      because of the length. I suggest you go to the site
      and do the search or if you have problems, let me know
      and I�ll email it to you privately.)

      Jane (also searching for that perfect SCA name�)
      Greetings from the Academy of Saint Gabriel!

      You wanted to know if the feminine name Lilith was
      used in any culture in period. Here is the
      information we have found.

      Lilith was the name of a female demon in Babylonian
      and Sumerian myth. In modern Hebrew legend, she is
      often said to be the first wife of Adam [1]. In the
      Middle Ages, Lilith was believed by some to be a witch
      who menaced little children, roaming in the night and
      attacking children and women in childbirth. [2,3]

      Because of the stigma attatched to the name, it is
      very unlikely that someone in any culture in the
      medieval period would name a child Lilith; we suggest
      that you consider a different name. If you would like
      a similar name, you might be interested in the names
      Lily and Lilias, both of which would be appropriate in
      a Scots or English name. [1,4]

      We hope that this letter has been useful to you, and
      that you will not hesitate to write again if any part
      was unclear or if you have further questions.
      Research and commentary on this letter was provided by
      Arval Benicoeurm, Margaret Makafee, AElfwyn aet
      Gyrwum, and Zenobia Naphtali.

      For the Academy,
      --Aryanhwy merch Catmael
      January 9, 1999