Name

  • tarekbishop
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 20, 2002
      Morning All,
      I am not an official member yet of the Canton of Gryphonwald
      (Middlesex Cty, NJ), but am seriously considering it. I do have a
      few minor problems first, my name is the biggest. I have liked the
      name Ezekial Raines from the start, I truly made it up, but have
      come to find out that Ezekial is Hebrew and Raines is English. Would
      it be possible for me to use the name and just pick a certain time
      period to say he existed?, example England circa. 1500.. A knight in
      the mold of King Arthurs Knights of the Round Table. I have seen the
      example questionairre on the SCA site and would need to find the
      particular information for that time period. Would I be able to do
      this?
      Secondly, when it comes to get togethers, do most or all of the
      participants camp out at the sites or do some stay at nearbye
      hotels, B&Bs, etc? Do I have to be an official member of the SCA to
      particiapte in a get togethers?..I have been aware of the SCA for
      about 4 months, but have just recently thought about joining due to
      the my interest with the time period. Id appreciate any help I can
      get with these questions..

      Sincerely,

      Ezekial Raines
      (GJ Marko)
    • Justinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 20, 2002
        On Tuesday 20 August 2002 05:39 am, tarekbishop wrote:
        > Morning All,
        > I am not an official member yet of the Canton of Gryphonwald
        > (Middlesex Cty, NJ), but am seriously considering it. I do have a
        > few minor problems first, my name is the biggest. I have liked the
        > name Ezekial Raines from the start, I truly made it up, but have
        > come to find out that Ezekial is Hebrew and Raines is English. Would
        > it be possible for me to use the name and just pick a certain time
        > period to say he existed?,

        Names like this are used by quite a few people. Perhaps you are a Jewish
        adopted son of a Christian Englishman. There are various ways this could
        be explained in persona. I doubt you'll have any trouble with the heralds
        if you explain in your documentation that you *know* of the inconsistency
        and are accounting for it in your persona. But ask your kindly local herald
        to be sure. (Disclaimer: I am not a herald, and I don't even play one on
        stage at the Globe Theatre.)

        > example England circa. 1500.. A knight in
        > the mold of King Arthurs Knights of the Round Table. I have seen the
        > example questionairre on the SCA site and would need to find the
        > particular information for that time period. Would I be able to do
        > this?

        Knighthood in the SCA is an earned title. Anyone can be an armoured soldier
        (we call them "heavy fighters" or just "fighters") simply by passing the
        required safety and proficiency test to show that you're safe on the field,
        but knighthood takes years to earn, and there is no guarantee that it will
        ever be achieved. It involves a lot more than just fighting prowess, and
        there is no specific "test" that you pass to attain Knighthood. The title
        Knight is granted by the King and Queen after consultation with the other
        Knights and Masters At Arms of your kingdom.

        Now, your persona could be *related* to a hypothetical knight who (in your
        imagination) lived in the Middle Ages. I would shy away from the specifics
        of the Round Table, instead going with something more generic such as, "My
        grandfather was a Knight in service to King James" rather than being
        specific like "Sir Galahad is my uncle."

        > Secondly, when it comes to get togethers, do most or all of the
        > participants camp out at the sites or do some stay at nearbye
        > hotels, B&Bs, etc?

        Many camp out (but not all events offer camping -- some are just one-day
        affairs), some stay at hotels (especially people with health problems),
        and others will day-trip even to an event that nominally lasts all weekend.
        For a Friday-through-Sunday "camping" event, the bulk of the activity is
        typically happening from late Saturday morning until early Sunday morning.

        > Do I have to be an official member of the SCA to
        > particiapte in a get togethers?..I have been aware of the SCA for
        > about 4 months, but have just recently thought about joining due to
        > the my interest with the time period. Id appreciate any help I can
        > get with these questions..

        In general, no, you do not. You must be a paid SCA member to hold office or
        to participate in most combat-related activities. SCA membership also gets
        you a subscription to your Kingdom newsletter, so that you know what events
        are coming up in your area. But you do not have to be a paid member to
        attend events, eat feast, go to classes, watch the fighting, or even to be
        on the event staff and help run the show.

        Please feel free to ask further questions if needed...that's what this list
        is for. <GRIN>

        Kind regards,

        Marche of Alderford (Canton, Ohio USA)

        justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
      • george marko
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 21, 2002
          I just wanted to thank you for your help Justin, your reply was very informative..One of my goals would be to become a knight. I do not have any experience, but would work hard to achieve the skills I would need. My name I will be doing some major research on...Thank you Again

          Ezekial Raines
> [...]

          typically happening from late Saturday morning until early Sunday morning.

          > Do I have to be an official member of the SCA to
          > particiapte in a get togethers?..I have been aware of the SCA for
          > about 4 months, but have just recently thought about joining due to
          > the my interest with the time period. Id appreciate any help I can
          > get with these questions..

          In general, no, you do not. You must be a paid SCA member to hold office or
          to participate in most combat-related activities. SCA membership also gets
          you a subscription to your Kingdom newsletter, so that you know what events
          are coming up in your area. But you do not have to be a paid member to
          attend events, eat feast, go to classes, watch the fighting, or even to be
          on the event staff and help run the show.

          Please feel free to ask further questions if needed...that's what this list

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Justinos Tekton called Justin
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 21, 2002
            On Wednesday 21 August 2002 05:14 am, george marko wrote:
            > I just wanted to thank you for your help Justin, your reply was very
            > informative..One of my goals would be to become a knight. I do not have any
            > experience, but would work hard to achieve the skills I would need.

            Which is all that any of us can do. :-) Remember first and foremost that this
            is your hobby, not your job. Have fun! When you are trying so hard to have fun
            that it is becoming work instead of fun, it's time to back off.

            As to becoming a Knight, my first advice is that for now you should focus on
            becoming a fighter, then work on developing your skills and experience.
            Knighthood takes years even for someone with a lot of natural talent. If you
            focus too soon on that specific goal, you may overlook the amount of fun you
            can have while learning. I'm a heavy fighter myself, and my skill will never
            be anywhere close to what is required of a Knight, but I'm having an absolute
            blast even without a title. Relax, have fun, and kill people but don't hurt
            anyone. <GRIN>

            Finally, if you are physically able, try to get someone to teach you to make
            armour rather than purchasing it (possible exception: helm). Many fighters
            find that they really enjoy armouring a lot, and if you built the armour you
            will (1) get exactly what you want and (2) never, ever have to pay someone
            else to repair or maintain it. I personally enjoy armouring even more than I
            enjoy fighting. There is a real feeling of pride in going to a demo, having a
            spectator ask you where you bought the armour, and watching their eyes widen
            as you say, "Actually, I made it myself." Making simple armour is not as hard
            as it looks, and anyone can learn this skill with the help of a good teacher.

            Kind regards,

            Marche of Alderford (Canton, Ohio USA)

            justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
          • chemistbb3
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 21, 2002
              Don't forget you get armor that fits you. Armor that fits you is
              comforable, feels like it is lighter, moves the way you need it to,
              and is a pleasure to fight in.

              William

              --- In scanewcomers@y..., Justinos Tekton called Justin <justin@4...>
            • vujadea200@aol.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 21, 2002
                Does anyone know any places that sell good, cheap fencing equipment? Any help
                would be appreciated.

                Adena

              • megrimulf
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 22, 2002
                  Hi, Adena. Sorry, I can't help you with your request, but I wanted to
                  say hi. Are you coming to Wiesenfeuer Baronial? If so, see ya there!

                  Grimulf

                  --- In scanewcomers@y..., vujadea200@a... wrote:
                  > Does anyone know any places that sell good, cheap fencing
                  equipment? Any help
                  > would be appreciated.
                  >
                  > Adena

                • dontwait4themessiah
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 22, 2002
                    Poetic and true. So true.

                    Morag

                    --- In scanewcomers@y..., chemistbb3 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                    > Don't forget you get armor that fits you. Armor that fits you is
                    > comforable, feels like it is lighter, moves the way you need it to,
                    > and is a pleasure to fight in.
                    >
                    > William
                    >
                    > --- In scanewcomers@y..., Justinos Tekton called Justin
                    <justin@4...>
                    > wrote:
                    > >(1) get exactly what you want and (2) never, ever have to pay
                    someone
                    > > else to repair or maintain it.
                  • silverheart_99501
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 22, 2002
                      > Does anyone know any places that sell good, cheap fencing equipment? Any help would be appreciated.

                      I'm not sure what you're definition of cheap is, but my husband and I both got starter kits (Masks, body armor, weapon and gloves)from an online place that I can't remember the name of. Argh! I had it a second ago. Anyway, the starter kit was under $200 per each and they have a lot of things you can but seperately. I'll look for the site I promise!

                      Anastasiia
                    • vujadea200@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 22, 2002
                        Grimulf,
                        I will be there and I cant wait. I havent been to a local event since
                        Beltain becasue I have been out of town. I cant wait to see everyone. See
                        you there!!

                        Adena

                      • vujadea200@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 22, 2002
                          Thank you Anastasiia, I will be waiting!!!

                          Adena

                        • chemistbb3
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 22, 2002
                            Try TCA ( www.triplette.com ). I just got a beginners kit for my son
                            there. All it lacked was the hood and gorge (sp?) for it to be
                            complete. It was about $160, shipping and handling, with a foil. I
                            got it in about a week or so.

                            Willaim

                            --- In scanewcomers@y..., "silverheart_99501" <kenarik@g...> wrote:
                            > > Does anyone know any places that sell good, cheap fencing
                            equipment? Any help would be appreciated.

                            > I'm not sure what you're definition of cheap is, but my husband and
                            I both got starter kits (Masks, body armor, weapon and gloves)from an
                            online place that I can't remember the name of. Argh! I had it a
                            second ago. Anyway, the starter kit was under $200 per each and they
                            have a lot of things you can but seperately. I'll look for the site
                            I promise!

                            > Anastasiia
                          • Brigette
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 8 7:06 PM
                              Hi everyone,

                              I'm Brighid, and that name is actually what's been giving me trouble,
                              and I'm hoping that maybe someone on here will be able to help me
                              figure this out. I'll lay out my persona and then see if anyone can
                              help me with my name dilemma. :-) And if this is too detailed for the
                              newcomers list maybe I could get some directions to a name-specific
                              group?... :-)

                              My persona so far is a fairly early period Irish woman who has spent
                              most of her life in Wales as a bard. I'm a very independent woman, as
                              a result of various points which aren't particularly relative to the
                              name but result in me not really having a patronymic surname, and
                              because, as a minor bard, I travel a lot, and without a big protective
                              retinue. Therefore, I have learned to fend for myself by fencing.

                              So...What I have managed to come up with, and have been using for now
                              on trial is the Welsh Brighid y rhyfelwraig brydydd which means
                              Brighid the warrior bard. I already think that I'll need to change it
                              to Mael Brighid... for technical purposes if I want it to be HC and to
                              avoid passing myself of as a goddess. ;-) I've also come to realize
                              that Brighid seems to be a later period spelling than I was trying for
                              with my persona, but I'm not sure, and also I just really like that
                              spelling. My other problems are that I don't really know whether this
                              name construction is appropriate (I think it is...-ish) or at least
                              appropriate enough for a person(a) in this particular situation--kind
                              of a reputation/livelihood-name. My other problem is probably a common
                              one I fear--no one is ever going to pronounce it correctly, and it's
                              very long and unwieldy-even for me.

                              I've considered two other changes, the first being Brighid to Bríd,
                              which gives a clearer visualization of the pronunciation--but I really
                              like the Brighid, and already use that spelling a lot...The other
                              thing is maybe having Mael Brighid y rhyfelwraig brydydd be my entire
                              SCA name, and just switching between Brighid y Rhyfelwraig and Brighid
                              y Brydydd as the day turns... I know this has been a long post, but
                              I'd appreciate any input whatsoever. My area (K of East, Bar. of
                              Stonemarche, Incip. Coll. of the Knotty Crossing) has a lot of
                              Vikings, but not all too many Celts with developed personas(that are
                              within personal bugging distance anyway ;-) ) :-)

                              Many thanks,
                              Mael Brighid y Rhyfelwraig Brydydd
                            • Kristine Elliott
                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 9 11:05 AM
                                On 4/8/06, Brigette <Brigette.A.Jones@...> wrote:

                                > Hi everyone,
                                >
                                > I'm Brighid, and that name is actually what's been giving me trouble,
                                > and I'm hoping that maybe someone on here will be able to help me
                                > figure this out. I'll lay out my persona and then see if anyone can
                                > help me with my name dilemma. :-) And if this is too detailed for the
                                > newcomers list maybe I could get some directions to a name-specific
                                > group?... :-)
                                >
                                > My persona so far is a fairly early period Irish woman who has spent
                                > most of her life in Wales as a bard. I'm a very independent woman, as
                                > a result of various points which aren't particularly relative to the
                                > name but result in me not really having a patronymic surname, and
                                > because, as a minor bard, I travel a lot, and without a big protective
                                > retinue. Therefore, I have learned to fend for myself by fencing.
                                >
                                > So...What I have managed to come up with, and have been using for now
                                > on trial is the Welsh Brighid y rhyfelwraig brydydd which means
                                > Brighid the warrior bard. I already think that I'll need to change it
                                > to Mael Brighid... for technical purposes if I want it to be HC and to
                                > avoid passing myself of as a goddess. ;-) I've also come to realize
                                > that Brighid seems to be a later period spelling than I was trying for
                                > with my persona, but I'm not sure, and also I just really like that
                                > spelling. My other problems are that I don't really know whether this
                                > name construction is appropriate (I think it is...-ish) or at least
                                > appropriate enough for a person(a) in this particular situation--kind
                                > of a reputation/livelihood-name. My other problem is probably a common
                                > one I fear--no one is ever going to pronounce it correctly, and it's
                                > very long and unwieldy-even for me.
                                >
                                > I've considered two other changes, the first being Brighid to Bríd,
                                > which gives a clearer visualization of the pronunciation--but I really
                                > like the Brighid, and already use that spelling a lot...The other
                                > thing is maybe having Mael Brighid y rhyfelwraig brydydd be my entire
                                > SCA name, and just switching between Brighid y Rhyfelwraig and Brighid
                                > y Brydydd as the day turns... I know this has been a long post, but
                                > I'd appreciate any input whatsoever. My area (K of East, Bar. of
                                > Stonemarche, Incip. Coll. of the Knotty Crossing) has a lot of
                                > Vikings, but not all too many Celts with developed personas(that are
                                > within personal bugging distance anyway ;-) ) :-)
                                >
                                > Many thanks,
                                > Mael Brighid y Rhyfelwraig Brydydd

                                The place I would start is to look at the articles here:
                                http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/irish.shtml . You can then ask Sharon Krossa
                                via email more specific questions. She often answers name questions on the
                                SCAHeralds list.

                                Scolastica

                                --
                                http://www.geocities.com/souriete/

                                If you can't get rid of them ugly old skeletons in the closet, at least
                                teach
                                'em how to dance funny. Billy C. Wirtz