Hierarchy ?

  • eliabetheden25
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 8, 2002
      Ok... so I joined the SCA about 2 years ago but it hasn't been until
      recently (sparked mostly by the fact that we Finally have a prince in
      our area) that I've begun to wonder about the hierarchy of things...
      I know that we ( at least here in the middle kingdom) have "Their
      Majesties", "Their Highnesses", and "Their Steller Highnesses"... but
      besides the King being a heavy weapons champion how do the others win
      their titles... plus, are light weapons recongnized in any way? Any
      information would be greatly appreciated...lol, people seem to think
      us newbees already know this stuff :)
      Thanks,
      ElizabethEden
    • njal_tjorkilsson
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 8, 2002
        Ok. This will be a long one so get ready...

        At the top of the food chain are the monarchs. Kings and queens
        chosen by right of arms in a Crown Tournament. Most of the time the
        victor is a member of the Order of Chivalry, but there have been some
        exceptions over the years. These are referred to as "Their Majesties"
        (Note: while waiting for their coronation they are referred to as
        Crown Prince/ Princess or "Highness".)

        Once a sovereign steps down after his/her reign they are granted the
        title "Earl" (or Count, Jarl, there are several equivelants) and are
        referred to as an "Excellency".

        If they win crown and set another reign, after wards they are granted
        the title of "Duke" and referred to as "Their Grace".

        Now fighting in a lower level tournament, specifically for the
        CORONET (as opposed to CROWN), the winner becomes The Prince of the
        Principality (a subset of a kingdom). I have heard different titles
        for this: Tanist/ Tanista, prince/ princess, et al.
        Either way they would be considered an "Highness" during their reign
        and an "excellency" after (they become Viscounts afterwards).

        That about covers the "pointy hats".

        Next: Peerages

        The Order of the Chivalry consists of the Order of Knighthood and the
        Order of Mastery of Arms. They are chosen after consultation with the
        existing membership of the Chivalry for qualities of courtesy, grace
        and skill at arms. Knights swear fealty to the crowns and wear a
        white belt, plain linked chain and spurs. Masters At Arms do not
        swear fealty and wear a white baldric. Referred to as Sir so-and-
        so, etc or Master/ Mistress for MoA.

        The Order of the Laurel Membership in the order is granted by the
        Crown (after consultation with the order's members in that Kingdom)
        to those who display great skill in one or more of the Arts and
        Sciences, coupled with unstinting willingness to teach their mystery
        and to use their talents to the benefit of the Realm. The insignia of
        the order is a plain laurel wreath, most often rendered as green upon
        gold. Referred to as Master/ Mistress.

        The Order of the Pelican Membership in the order is granted by the
        Crown (after consultation with the order's members in that Kingdom)
        to those who have served the Kingdom diligently and constructively,
        usually for a long period of time, and who also display those
        qualities of courtesy, grace and familiarity with the arts and skills
        of the Society. The insignia of the order is "a pelican in her
        piety" -that is, wounding her breast to feed her nestlings, which is
        an ancient symbol of service beyond sanity. Referred to as Master/
        Mistress.
        (peerages excerpted from:
        http://baelfiredunn.atlantia.sca.org/new/titles.html )

        Anyhow, it's a bit complicated but no peer would be insulted by a
        newcomer who didn't know any better referring to them as Milord and
        asking what the proper form of address is. As a general rule most
        pointy hats are "Excellencies" except the ones with strawberry leaves
        (which are "graces") and the really big ornate ones that are either
        the crown or a coronet (you should notice folks bowing).

        I hope this is helpful.

        In Omnia Veritas
        Njall Tjorkilsson, KSCA
      • mavros_akropolites
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 8, 2002
          Greetings,

          There is also Baron/Baroness. I believe "excellency" is the proper
          means of address. I also believe that they always wear a shiny hat
          with 6 points.

          Mavros

          --- In scanewcomers@y..., "njal_tjorkilsson" <njal_tjorkilsson@y...>

        • chemistbb3
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 8, 2002
            Careful, the crowns of the Baronies very. My Baron / Baroness wear a
            serpentine crown and I know a number of "flat topped" brass hats.
            There seems to be some variation depending on the Kingdom.

            I have heard of one case where a Countess / Duchess (forgot which
            rank now) who has a coronet that is usually meant for another rank,
            but she has documentation that shows it's correct for her personna.

            William