[SCA Newcomers] Re: Armor

  • Wolfshadow72
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 6, 2002
      errr...someone who lives in the area (in this case, Northern
      Colorado) - I'd rather give business to someone up here,
      but...*shrugs* I havent been able to meet up with the ones up here
      who I know for a fact are into armouring...*sighs* what can I
      say...story of my life these days...:P
      'shadow

      --- In scanewcomers@y..., Scott Szakonyi <thorsman99@y...> wrote:

      > Out of curiousity, what's local?
      > Wolfshadow72 <wolfshadow72@y...> wrote: Does their armour not
      meet the minimums? I called and asked them a
      > few questions about the types of leather and steel they used and it
      > *sounded* (key word there, I havent seen it for myself yet)
      identical
      > to what I've always used in the past (very thick leather and 16
      gauge
      > steel on knees and elbows, as well as measurement requirements). I
      > wanted to get something local, but what with my schedule and the
      > schedules of those here that I know make armour...*shrugs* nothing
      > ever seemed to work out as far as times we could meet...which sucks
      > because I KNOW I could get it cheaper from them...
      >
      > 'shadow
      >
      > --- In scanewcomers@y..., "Liye23" <liye23@y...> wrote:
      > > Personally, i wouldn't order any armor from by the sword, except
      > > possibly leather goods.
      > >
      > > Otherwise go to an armorer that plays in the SCA they most often
      > know
      > > what's best, a large number of armorers are also knights, so they
      > > know all the rules and stuff.
      > >
      > > Sidonia
      > > Shire of Buckland Cross
      > > East Kingdom.
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Service.

    • Scott Szakonyi
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 7, 2002
        Understood. Just thinking that you never know who is (relatively) local and might have been reading your message. I, sadly, am in Indiana, which is a loooooong way from Colorado... *L*
        Scott
        http://www.thevikingtrader.net
        Wolfshadow72 <wolfshadow72@...> wrote: errr...someone who lives in the area (in this case, Northern

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 8, 2002
          ahhh....I see...
          Well...*ponders* As much as I'd like to give business to members of
          my own Barony, I certainly dont object to giving business to ANYONE
          in the SCA - I take it you make armour....? :) If so, you *might*
          just want to drop me an email (its wolfshadow72@yahoo) - I have not
          ordered from BtS just yet (I'm waiting for my few electronic bills to
          clear before I decide how much I can afford to spend on 'toys' this
          month...) Or even if you were thinking of someone in particular that
          you nkow who makes armour and who'd want the business...let me know.
          I'm looking to buy arms, legs and kidney belt (steel knee and elbow
          cops, articulated, with leather arm, shoulder and thigh guards); a
          shield basket or even a new shield would be welcome as well...I'm
          doing a little more comparative window-shopping online tonight for
          styles and approx pricing, but I plan on ordering from somewhere by
          the end of the week - I need to get IN armour and be practicing ASAP
          since I'm going to the Rolling Thunder bash down in new mexico at the
          end of september. With any luck I'll have a name and device passed
          by then too...*crosses fingers* I hope to have those submitted by
          the end of this week as well...

        • chemistbb3
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 8, 2002
            If you need basket hilts or sheild baskets, as an off the shelf
            item, try these guys. They sell to a couple of other vendors, so
            you can get them direct at a little bit of a discount. They are used
            regularly around here. The basket hilts do need a little
            modification once you get them to allow "free rotation", but that's
            only about a 10-15 minute modification.

            http://www.ashcraftbaker.com/index.htm

            William