Re: Just heard of this

  • mavros_akropolites
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 6 2:51 PM
      Greetings,

      I love smacking my helm into other people's swords. Or, wait a
      minute, I mean smacking my sword into other people's helms. Yeah
      thats it.

      Mavros

      --- In scanewcomers@y..., "eliabetheden25" <ElizabethEden@m...> wrote:
      > lol... how I heard about the SCA... I was actually sitting in my
      high
      > school junior history class ( I was the only senior there... I had
      > decided to visit Brasil for my Junior year) and the girl next to me
      > had brought in some books for me to read, we both loved fantasy.
      > While I was looking through one of them a photo fell out of her in
      > garb. "What's this for?" I asked.
      > " Oh, I made that for the SCA." She replied, and proceeded to tell
      me
      > all about it. I went with her to heavy weapons practice that week
      and
      > have been in love ever since.
      > TO add on to the original question... what do ya'll love most about
      > the SCA? I love the comrodery (sp?), camping, and the fact that
      over-
      > all it's a totally drug free way to have fun.. It's been a pleasure
      > to meet you all, hope to hear some fasinating stories! :)
      > Yours,
      > Elizabeth Eden
    • fallen angel
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 6 9:43 PM
        Out of curiosity (it'll be the death of me someday;) how did you come
        across the SCA. In fact, let me throw that open as a group wide
        question. How did each of us come across the Society? Friends, Demo,
        Internet, read about it somewhere?

        Going to Renaissance Festivals as a kid I always loved the period. Had an ex-boss that was in SCA and told me about it...piqued my curiousity and not until I got to college did I attend my 1st meeting.

        heather

        "If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off...."

        "Your village called, their idiot's missing..."

      • Wolfshadow72
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 6 11:25 PM
          *chuckles* I took a rather convoluted path to the SCA - I actually
          was invited to another group that did 'live action role playing' -
          with these foam "weapons". It was amusing, but I got VERY tired of
          the D&D aspects of it. I heard a few of them one day complaining
          about the 'psychopaths who hit each other with real sticks' down in
          another area of the park...but I never seemed to run into them.
          After a few months I'd pretty much dropped out of the other group and
          had forgotten all about the 'psychos'. A year or 2 later I started
          massage therapy school, and got to talking with a woman who was in
          the SCA - she was actually the Baroness at that time. She invited me
          out and I had a BLAST (I had done fencing some years before that, so
          I did light fighting first). It took me almost 6 months to make the
          connection that THESE were the 'psychos with sticks' that those
          others had talked about...*chuckles*...ah, if only they knew what
          they were missing...(well, actually one of them at least should have
          known - I found out later that the one telling the story HAD gone out
          to SCA, and didnt understand why he wasnt a 'blademaster with +5
          magical mithril plate mail' in the SCA...*groans* - which is where
          the 'psycho' bit came from I think...:P)
          'shadow

          --- In scanewcomers@y..., katfletcher <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > Welcome to the SCA! It can be a whole lot of addictive fun and we
          > here at Newcomers are always willing to answer any questions you
          > might have. Or at least try to!
          > Mary and Justin have already made a good start. You might want to
          > check out some of the bookmarks we have (over on the left of the
          > screen, at least on mine!!)
          > I can think of many reasons why you might not be able to get as
          > involved as you might like right off the bat but there really are
          so
          > many ways to play that you might just surprise yourself! A lot
          > depends on your local group. It is true that most (and soon all)
          > events have some sort of fee to cover the cost of running things
          but
          > many practices and meetings are free.
          > The very best way to explore, in my experience, is to volunteer.
          >
          > Out of curiosity (it'll be the death of me someday;) how did you
          come
          > across the SCA. In fact, let me throw that open as a group wide
          > question. How did each of us come across the Society? Friends,
          Demo,
          > Internet, read about it somewhere?
          >
          > I was in College (a whole long time ago, shudder!!) and friends
          > dragged me to an event, a Coronation, and I was hooked. The king to
          > be came riding in on a horse and the queen was carried in on a
          litter
          > by some very nice looking guys. There was a live chess tourney and
          > the feast was in this wonderfully grotto like hall that really
          looked
          > the part.
          >
          > Again, welcome and do feel free to both ask and answer questions!
          > Kathryn
        • dontwait4themessiah
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 7 6:22 AM
            Heil all.

            It's nice to see so many new members. Mundane life gets nasty, and
            look what happens while my back is turned!
            I first came to the SCA when I was in tenth grade. Ever since I could
            remember, I was interested in medieval times, and I would always
            delight in finding people that I could discuss tactics with ("So,
            what terrain would you rather if you had an army of about 500
            infantry and 150 longbows, light forest or plains?"...)
            I found that in a friend in the year above me. We'd sit in sport and
            discuss the advantages of florentine over shield and sword. One day I
            sighed and said "I gotta get into a medieval re-enactment group", and
            he said "Well, you should join ours." Turns out he was the son of the
            local hospitallier. Two weeks later his mother caled me up and
            said "Hey, Wynter's Ende is this weekend. You wanna come?" The rest
            is history!
            Sounds corny, but hey, it's true...

            Vivere, Amore, Discere,
            Morag
          • Justinos Tekton called Justin
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 20 1:01 PM
              On Wednesday 07 August 2002 12:43 am, fallen angel wrote:
              > Out of curiosity (it'll be the death of me someday;) how did you come
              > across the SCA. In fact, let me throw that open as a group wide
              > question. How did each of us come across the Society? Friends, Demo,
              > Internet, read about it somewhere?

              I had ample opportunity to play in the SCA in college, but I wouldn't even go
              to a meeting. "THOSE people are weird!" (Okay, so I was brought up in a pretty
              conservative family...)

              In 1991, some very close friends of mine from my college days called from
              Missouri (my original home state). "Hey, we're going to Pennsic, and we are
              driving right past your town on the way to it. Can we crash at your house for
              an evening, visit with you, and then drive on?" they asked. Eager for a visit
              from close friends not often seen, I replied an emphatic yes. Then Matt (the
              male half of the couple) got an idea. "Say," he suggested, "Why don't you come
              to Pennsic with us?"

              I asked what Pennsic was, and he told me. I said I didn't think I'd like it
              because it sounded kind of weird. That's when Matt proved that he's a true
              friend, not just an acquaintance. He said what I *needed* to hear instead of
              just what I *wanted* to hear: "Listen here! Your wife dumped you last year
              for a drug dealer and you've been moping around with too much time on your
              hands. Do you really have anything better to do?" After a shocked pause, I
              thought about it, and reasoned that I did not, in fact, have anything better
              to do. So I took a week off work and went with them. I had previously been to
              one SCA demo, at a movie theater, but I hadn't been in garb and hab basically
              just hung out with my friends rather than participating.

              Once I arrived at Pennsic 20, it took only about half an hour for me to go from
              "I'm not sure I'm going to like this weird stuff" to "WOW! Where do I get a
              membership application?" Really -- it was a blast! I bought my first garb right
              there, on site, and had one of the best weeks of my life.

              It's odd, looking back, that two of my favorite adult activities (theatre and
              the SCA) are both things that I rejected in my younger days because they were
              outside the mainstream of my conservative upbringing. Go figure. :-)

              When I first agreed to go to Pennsic, I never in a million years would have
              imagined that I would not only like "those weird people" but would eventually:

              1. Help to found a new shire, and become its first Seneschal.
              2. Become a Regional Seneschal for 39 shires in two states.
              3. Put on armor (after making it myself!) and let people whack me with rattan.
              4. Agree to be second-in-charge for the first aid of 12,000 people (I'm the
              Deputy Chirurgeon for Pennsic next year).
              5. Become a member of the Order of the Pelican. (Squaaaawwwwk!)
              6. Discover some of the closest life-long friends I've ever had.

              Funny how life leads us in strange directions, isn't it?

              Marche of Alderford (Canton, Ohio USA)

              justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
            • george marko
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 20 1:06 PM
                I had always had interest in Renassiance festivals, then a friend whom I met roleplaying told me about it

                Ezekial Raines
> [...]

                the SCA) are both things that I rejected in my younger days because they were
                outside the mainstream of my conservative upbringing. Go figure. :-)

                When I first agreed to go to Pennsic, I never in a million years would have
                imagined that I would not only like "those weird people" but would eventually:

                1. Help to found a new shire, and become its first Seneschal.
                2. Become a Regional Seneschal for 39 shires in two states.
                3. Put on armor (after making it myself!) and let people whack me with rattan.
                4. Agree to be second-in-charge for the first aid of 12,000 people (I'm the
                Deputy Chirurgeon for Pennsic next year).
                5. Become a member of the Order of the Pelican. (Squaaaawwwwk!)
                6. Discover some of the closest life-long friends I've ever had.

                Funny how life leads us in strange directions, isn't it?

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor