Re: [SCA Newcomers] Just heard of this

  • Mary-Henline
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 5, 2002
      Kris,

      Why do you think you have to wait? There is no fee for attending meetings, and that's how you'll be able to network with the folks. I'm up north of you (Ohio) in the Middle Kingdom, or I'd help you more. Have you contacted your Regional Seneschal about getting with the group? From what Justin has described to me (he has been Regional), the regionals are very nice, and will help you as they can.

      If it's a matter of money, then don't fret too much. I'm a lower-income full time college student and a single mom. I can't make every event, but I have tried to support the shire. Even if events aren't possible for a bit (entrance fees), there's the chance to do demos (living, breathing body to be pointed at, lol! You don't have to speak) and practice things that interest you. Are you into sewing, needlepoint, fighting, archery, weaving? Calligraphy? Chances are that there's a recognized group online for just that SCA Art (or Science). I know of several cooking groups, plus locally we have a Cooking Guild that crosses shire boundaries.

      For clothing, if you can sew, a simple T-tunic and a pair of knit leggings (pants from your own closet) can do temporary with a pair of dark shoes, or sandals. There is also Gold Key that loans out clothing that is appropriate--esp. good for doing demos!

      Don't get discouraged, and stick with it. You're be flying in no time. It took me a year to become a paid member, and I bought my first sewing machine on Friday. Now to just figure out if it works! It'll give me a chance to learn how to make simple things then move to complex ones. You'll get there, trust me.

      If you need help, off list, feel free to email me. My Mundane name is Dee.

      Sincerely,
      Milady Mary Henline
      Alderford, MoY
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 5, 2002
        Here's a webpage I found. I think, but could be wrong, that it's theirs:

        http://www.asbrand.com/owlsnest/

        Mary

        I had never heard about the SCA until just a few weeks ago, and
        today i found this group. I want to join and have fun but I probably
        will be forced ot wait a while. Any information and advise would be
        greatly appreciated.
        BTW: The nearest group to me is Owl's Nest (North Georgia) So if
        anyone has information about them as well I would be forever
        thankful.

        Kris

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Justinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 5, 2002
          On Monday 05 August 2002 06:17 pm, Mary-Henline wrote:
          > Have you contacted your Regional Seneschal about getting with the group?
          > From what Justin has described to me (he has been Regional), the regionals
          > are very nice, and will help you as they can.

          Hello!

          I'm back -- temporarily -- from Pennsic because I had to do something for
          my modern-world job. I just wanted to mention that not all Kingdoms have any
          such thing as a Region. The Midrealm is very large (over 140 local groups and
          baronies total) and we are divided into four Regions and one Principality for
          administrative convenience (the Principality will one day be a Kingdom unto
          itself, by the way). Some Kingdoms are small enough not to need to have this
          extra layer.

          Mary's point is a good one, though. Don't hesitate to go "up the ladder" to a
          higher Seneschal if you can't find a local group. You can reach Kingdom web
          pages from http://www.sca.org/ to find out your Kingdom Seneschal's contact
          information. They probably can't help you personally, because Kingdoms are
          large and it's unlikely that they live nearby, but they will be glad to
          give you contact information for local groups near you.

          Welcome to the SCA, have fun, and let me know if I can be of help to you by
          e-mail. My Internet connectivity is limited during Pennsic (that is, until
          August 20), so I may not respond right away.

          Kind regards,

          THL Justinos Tekton called Justin (Scott Courtney)
          Marche of Alderford (Canton, Ohio USA)

          justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/