Just heard of this

  • queen_of_the_mask
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 5, 2002
      I had never heard about the SCA until just a few weeks ago, and
      today i found this group. I want to join and have fun but I probably
      will be forced ot wait a while. Any information and advise would be
      greatly appreciated.
      BTW: The nearest group to me is Owl's Nest (North Georgia) So if
      anyone has information about them as well I would be forever
      thankful.

      Kris
    • katfletcher
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 6, 2002
        Welcome to the SCA! It can be a whole lot of addictive fun and we
        here at Newcomers are always willing to answer any questions you
        might have. Or at least try to!
        Mary and Justin have already made a good start. You might want to
        check out some of the bookmarks we have (over on the left of the
        screen, at least on mine!!)
        I can think of many reasons why you might not be able to get as
        involved as you might like right off the bat but there really are so
        many ways to play that you might just surprise yourself! A lot
        depends on your local group. It is true that most (and soon all)
        events have some sort of fee to cover the cost of running things but
        many practices and meetings are free.
        The very best way to explore, in my experience, is to volunteer.

        Out of curiosity (it'll be the death of me someday;) how did you come
        across the SCA. In fact, let me throw that open as a group wide
        question. How did each of us come across the Society? Friends, Demo,
        Internet, read about it somewhere?

        I was in College (a whole long time ago, shudder!!) and friends
        dragged me to an event, a Coronation, and I was hooked. The king to
        be came riding in on a horse and the queen was carried in on a litter
        by some very nice looking guys. There was a live chess tourney and
        the feast was in this wonderfully grotto like hall that really looked
        the part.

        Again, welcome and do feel free to both ask and answer questions!
        Kathryn
      • Angel Pippin
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 6, 2002
          Dear SCA Newcomers,

          PEACE BE WITH YOU!

          I was introduced to the SCA by a fellow college student up-teen years ago. It started in History class on the first day. The teacher asked us to tell something from our own personal history that might be of interest to the class. When it was my turn, I stood up and told them that my great-great-great-great-grandfather was an Archduke in Germany and that if I were the oldest of the oldest AND if the hierarchy (sp?) was still over there...I would be a dutchess. I also told them that I am kin to the last Kaiser, Queen Victoria, Czar Nicholas. This young man a couple of days later (I guess he was facinated by all my "blue-blood") asked me to check out the SCA at there next meeting. I did and fell in love with it. I had to leave temperarily due to the break up with the fore-mentioned young man. Now I am back (after about seven years) due to the lovely memories of when I was in it before.

          My name then was Dianne von Braunschwieg, and it is now Mary Clare of the Poor Ladies.

          I hope to see all of you at a future event.

          Your little servant,

          Mary Clare

        • eliabetheden25
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 6, 2002
            lol... how I heard about the SCA... I was actually sitting in my high
            school junior history class ( I was the only senior there... I had
            decided to visit Brasil for my Junior year) and the girl next to me
            had brought in some books for me to read, we both loved fantasy.
            While I was looking through one of them a photo fell out of her in
            garb. "What's this for?" I asked.
            " Oh, I made that for the SCA." She replied, and proceeded to tell me
            all about it. I went with her to heavy weapons practice that week and
            have been in love ever since.
            TO add on to the original question... what do ya'll love most about
            the SCA? I love the comrodery (sp?), camping, and the fact that over-
            all it's a totally drug free way to have fun.. It's been a pleasure
            to meet you all, hope to hear some fasinating stories! :)
            Yours,
            Elizabeth Eden
          • Wolfgang von Eifel
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 6, 2002
              when i first saw an SCAdian i had no clue what was going on i was only about
              6 or 7 at the time but i was like "i have got to get into this at some point
              or another" and here i am 14 years later getting bruised up withe the best
              of 'em

              >From: katfletcher <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
              >To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Just heard of this
              >Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 12:22:39 -0000
              >
              >Welcome to the SCA! It can be a whole lot of addictive fun and we
              >here at Newcomers are always willing to answer any questions you
              >might have. Or at least try to!
              >Mary and Justin have already made a good start. You might want to
              >check out some of the bookmarks we have (over on the left of the
              >screen, at least on mine!!)
              >I can think of many reasons why you might not be able to get as
              >involved as you might like right off the bat but there really are so
              >many ways to play that you might just surprise yourself! A lot
              >depends on your local group. It is true that most (and soon all)
              >events have some sort of fee to cover the cost of running things but
              >many practices and meetings are free.
              >The very best way to explore, in my experience, is to volunteer.
              >
              >Out of curiosity (it'll be the death of me someday;) how did you come
              >across the SCA. In fact, let me throw that open as a group wide
              >question. How did each of us come across the Society? Friends, Demo,
              >Internet, read about it somewhere?
              >
              >I was in College (a whole long time ago, shudder!!) and friends
              >dragged me to an event, a Coronation, and I was hooked. The king to
              >be came riding in on a horse and the queen was carried in on a litter
              >by some very nice looking guys. There was a live chess tourney and
              >the feast was in this wonderfully grotto like hall that really looked
              >the part.
              >
              >Again, welcome and do feel free to both ask and answer questions!
              >Kathryn

              Wolfgang von Eifel

            • mavros_akropolites
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 6, 2002
                Greetings,

                I love smacking my helm into other people's swords. Or, wait a
                minute, I mean smacking my sword into other people's helms. Yeah
                thats it.

                Mavros

                --- In scanewcomers@y..., "eliabetheden25" <ElizabethEden@m...> wrote:
                > lol... how I heard about the SCA... I was actually sitting in my
                high
                > school junior history class ( I was the only senior there... I had
                > decided to visit Brasil for my Junior year) and the girl next to me
                > had brought in some books for me to read, we both loved fantasy.
                > While I was looking through one of them a photo fell out of her in
                > garb. "What's this for?" I asked.
                > " Oh, I made that for the SCA." She replied, and proceeded to tell
                me
                > all about it. I went with her to heavy weapons practice that week
                and
                > have been in love ever since.
                > TO add on to the original question... what do ya'll love most about
                > the SCA? I love the comrodery (sp?), camping, and the fact that
                over-
                > all it's a totally drug free way to have fun.. It's been a pleasure
                > to meet you all, hope to hear some fasinating stories! :)
                > Yours,
                > Elizabeth Eden
              • fallen angel
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 6, 2002
                  Out of curiosity (it'll be the death of me someday;) how did you come
                  across the SCA. In fact, let me throw that open as a group wide
                  question. How did each of us come across the Society? Friends, Demo,
                  Internet, read about it somewhere?

                  Going to Renaissance Festivals as a kid I always loved the period. Had an ex-boss that was in SCA and told me about it...piqued my curiousity and not until I got to college did I attend my 1st meeting.

                  heather

                  "If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off...."

                  "Your village called, their idiot's missing..."

                • Wolfshadow72
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 6, 2002
                    *chuckles* I took a rather convoluted path to the SCA - I actually
                    was invited to another group that did 'live action role playing' -
                    with these foam "weapons". It was amusing, but I got VERY tired of
                    the D&D aspects of it. I heard a few of them one day complaining
                    about the 'psychopaths who hit each other with real sticks' down in
                    another area of the park...but I never seemed to run into them.
                    After a few months I'd pretty much dropped out of the other group and
                    had forgotten all about the 'psychos'. A year or 2 later I started
                    massage therapy school, and got to talking with a woman who was in
                    the SCA - she was actually the Baroness at that time. She invited me
                    out and I had a BLAST (I had done fencing some years before that, so
                    I did light fighting first). It took me almost 6 months to make the
                    connection that THESE were the 'psychos with sticks' that those
                    others had talked about...*chuckles*...ah, if only they knew what
                    they were missing...(well, actually one of them at least should have
                    known - I found out later that the one telling the story HAD gone out
                    to SCA, and didnt understand why he wasnt a 'blademaster with +5
                    magical mithril plate mail' in the SCA...*groans* - which is where
                    the 'psycho' bit came from I think...:P)
                    'shadow

                    --- In scanewcomers@y..., katfletcher <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                    > Welcome to the SCA! It can be a whole lot of addictive fun and we
                    > here at Newcomers are always willing to answer any questions you
                    > might have. Or at least try to!
                    > Mary and Justin have already made a good start. You might want to
                    > check out some of the bookmarks we have (over on the left of the
                    > screen, at least on mine!!)
                    > I can think of many reasons why you might not be able to get as
                    > involved as you might like right off the bat but there really are
                    so
                    > many ways to play that you might just surprise yourself! A lot
                    > depends on your local group. It is true that most (and soon all)
                    > events have some sort of fee to cover the cost of running things
                    but
                    > many practices and meetings are free.
                    > The very best way to explore, in my experience, is to volunteer.
                    >
                    > Out of curiosity (it'll be the death of me someday;) how did you
                    come
                    > across the SCA. In fact, let me throw that open as a group wide
                    > question. How did each of us come across the Society? Friends,
                    Demo,
                    > Internet, read about it somewhere?
                    >
                    > I was in College (a whole long time ago, shudder!!) and friends
                    > dragged me to an event, a Coronation, and I was hooked. The king to
                    > be came riding in on a horse and the queen was carried in on a
                    litter
                    > by some very nice looking guys. There was a live chess tourney and
                    > the feast was in this wonderfully grotto like hall that really
                    looked
                    > the part.
                    >
                    > Again, welcome and do feel free to both ask and answer questions!
                    > Kathryn
                  • dontwait4themessiah
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 7, 2002
                      Heil all.

                      It's nice to see so many new members. Mundane life gets nasty, and
                      look what happens while my back is turned!
                      I first came to the SCA when I was in tenth grade. Ever since I could
                      remember, I was interested in medieval times, and I would always
                      delight in finding people that I could discuss tactics with ("So,
                      what terrain would you rather if you had an army of about 500
                      infantry and 150 longbows, light forest or plains?"...)
                      I found that in a friend in the year above me. We'd sit in sport and
                      discuss the advantages of florentine over shield and sword. One day I
                      sighed and said "I gotta get into a medieval re-enactment group", and
                      he said "Well, you should join ours." Turns out he was the son of the
                      local hospitallier. Two weeks later his mother caled me up and
                      said "Hey, Wynter's Ende is this weekend. You wanna come?" The rest
                      is history!
                      Sounds corny, but hey, it's true...

                      Vivere, Amore, Discere,
                      Morag
                    • Justinos Tekton called Justin
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 20, 2002
                        On Wednesday 07 August 2002 12:43 am, fallen angel wrote:
                        > Out of curiosity (it'll be the death of me someday;) how did you come
                        > across the SCA. In fact, let me throw that open as a group wide
                        > question. How did each of us come across the Society? Friends, Demo,
                        > Internet, read about it somewhere?

                        I had ample opportunity to play in the SCA in college, but I wouldn't even go
                        to a meeting. "THOSE people are weird!" (Okay, so I was brought up in a pretty
                        conservative family...)

                        In 1991, some very close friends of mine from my college days called from
                        Missouri (my original home state). "Hey, we're going to Pennsic, and we are
                        driving right past your town on the way to it. Can we crash at your house for
                        an evening, visit with you, and then drive on?" they asked. Eager for a visit
                        from close friends not often seen, I replied an emphatic yes. Then Matt (the
                        male half of the couple) got an idea. "Say," he suggested, "Why don't you come
                        to Pennsic with us?"

                        I asked what Pennsic was, and he told me. I said I didn't think I'd like it
                        because it sounded kind of weird. That's when Matt proved that he's a true
                        friend, not just an acquaintance. He said what I *needed* to hear instead of
                        just what I *wanted* to hear: "Listen here! Your wife dumped you last year
                        for a drug dealer and you've been moping around with too much time on your
                        hands. Do you really have anything better to do?" After a shocked pause, I
                        thought about it, and reasoned that I did not, in fact, have anything better
                        to do. So I took a week off work and went with them. I had previously been to
                        one SCA demo, at a movie theater, but I hadn't been in garb and hab basically
                        just hung out with my friends rather than participating.

                        Once I arrived at Pennsic 20, it took only about half an hour for me to go from
                        "I'm not sure I'm going to like this weird stuff" to "WOW! Where do I get a
                        membership application?" Really -- it was a blast! I bought my first garb right
                        there, on site, and had one of the best weeks of my life.

                        It's odd, looking back, that two of my favorite adult activities (theatre and
                        the SCA) are both things that I rejected in my younger days because they were
                        outside the mainstream of my conservative upbringing. Go figure. :-)

                        When I first agreed to go to Pennsic, I never in a million years would have
                        imagined that I would not only like "those weird people" but would eventually:

                        1. Help to found a new shire, and become its first Seneschal.
                        2. Become a Regional Seneschal for 39 shires in two states.
                        3. Put on armor (after making it myself!) and let people whack me with rattan.
                        4. Agree to be second-in-charge for the first aid of 12,000 people (I'm the
                        Deputy Chirurgeon for Pennsic next year).
                        5. Become a member of the Order of the Pelican. (Squaaaawwwwk!)
                        6. Discover some of the closest life-long friends I've ever had.

                        Funny how life leads us in strange directions, isn't it?

                        Marche of Alderford (Canton, Ohio USA)

                        justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
                      • george marko
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 20, 2002
                          I had always had interest in Renassiance festivals, then a friend whom I met roleplaying told me about it

                          Ezekial Raines
> [...]

                          the SCA) are both things that I rejected in my younger days because they were
                          outside the mainstream of my conservative upbringing. Go figure. :-)

                          When I first agreed to go to Pennsic, I never in a million years would have
                          imagined that I would not only like "those weird people" but would eventually:

                          1. Help to found a new shire, and become its first Seneschal.
                          2. Become a Regional Seneschal for 39 shires in two states.
                          3. Put on armor (after making it myself!) and let people whack me with rattan.
                          4. Agree to be second-in-charge for the first aid of 12,000 people (I'm the
                          Deputy Chirurgeon for Pennsic next year).
                          5. Become a member of the Order of the Pelican. (Squaaaawwwwk!)
                          6. Discover some of the closest life-long friends I've ever had.

                          Funny how life leads us in strange directions, isn't it?

                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor