[SCA Newcomers] Re: Armor

  • Liye23
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2002
      Personally, i wouldn't order any armor from by the sword, except
      possibly leather goods.

      Otherwise go to an armorer that plays in the SCA they most often know
      what's best, a large number of armorers are also knights, so they
      know all the rules and stuff.

      Sidonia
      Shire of Buckland Cross
      East Kingdom.
    • Wolfshadow72
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 2, 2002
        Does their armour not meet the minimums? I called and asked them a
        few questions about the types of leather and steel they used and it
        *sounded* (key word there, I havent seen it for myself yet) identical
        to what I've always used in the past (very thick leather and 16 gauge
        steel on knees and elbows, as well as measurement requirements). I
        wanted to get something local, but what with my schedule and the
        schedules of those here that I know make armour...*shrugs* nothing
        ever seemed to work out as far as times we could meet...which sucks
        because I KNOW I could get it cheaper from them...

        'shadow

        --- In scanewcomers@y..., "Liye23" <liye23@y...> wrote:
        > Personally, i wouldn't order any armor from by the sword, except
        > possibly leather goods.
        >
        > Otherwise go to an armorer that plays in the SCA they most often
        know
        > what's best, a large number of armorers are also knights, so they
        > know all the rules and stuff.
        >
        > Sidonia
        > Shire of Buckland Cross
        > East Kingdom.
      • Scott Szakonyi
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 3, 2002
          Out of curiousity, what's local?
          Wolfshadow72 <wolfshadow72@...> wrote: Does their armour not meet the minimums? I called and asked them a
          few questions about the types of leather and steel they used and it
          *sounded* (key word there, I havent seen it for myself yet) identical
          to what I've always used in the past (very thick leather and 16 gauge
          steel on knees and elbows, as well as measurement requirements). I
          wanted to get something local, but what with my schedule and the
          schedules of those here that I know make armour...*shrugs* nothing
          ever seemed to work out as far as times we could meet...which sucks
          because I KNOW I could get it cheaper from them...

          'shadow

          --- In scanewcomers@y..., "Liye23" <liye23@y...> wrote:
          > Personally, i wouldn't order any armor from by the sword, except
          > possibly leather goods.
          >
          > Otherwise go to an armorer that plays in the SCA they most often
          know
          > what's best, a large number of armorers are also knights, so they
          > know all the rules and stuff.
          >
          > Sidonia
          > Shire of Buckland Cross
          > East Kingdom.

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • Wolfshadow72
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 6, 2002
            errr...someone who lives in the area (in this case, Northern
            Colorado) - I'd rather give business to someone up here,
            but...*shrugs* I havent been able to meet up with the ones up here
            who I know for a fact are into armouring...*sighs* what can I
            say...story of my life these days...:P
            'shadow

            --- In scanewcomers@y..., Scott Szakonyi <thorsman99@y...> wrote:

            > Out of curiousity, what's local?
            > Wolfshadow72 <wolfshadow72@y...> wrote: Does their armour not
            meet the minimums? I called and asked them a
            > few questions about the types of leather and steel they used and it
            > *sounded* (key word there, I havent seen it for myself yet)
            identical
            > to what I've always used in the past (very thick leather and 16
            gauge
            > steel on knees and elbows, as well as measurement requirements). I
            > wanted to get something local, but what with my schedule and the
            > schedules of those here that I know make armour...*shrugs* nothing
            > ever seemed to work out as far as times we could meet...which sucks
            > because I KNOW I could get it cheaper from them...
            >
            > 'shadow
            >
            > --- In scanewcomers@y..., "Liye23" <liye23@y...> wrote:
            > > Personally, i wouldn't order any armor from by the sword, except
            > > possibly leather goods.
            > >
            > > Otherwise go to an armorer that plays in the SCA they most often
            > know
            > > what's best, a large number of armorers are also knights, so they
            > > know all the rules and stuff.
            > >
            > > Sidonia
            > > Shire of Buckland Cross
            > > East Kingdom.
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            Service.

          • Scott Szakonyi
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 7, 2002
              Understood. Just thinking that you never know who is (relatively) local and might have been reading your message. I, sadly, am in Indiana, which is a loooooong way from Colorado... *L*
              Scott
              http://www.thevikingtrader.net
              Wolfshadow72 <wolfshadow72@...> wrote: errr...someone who lives in the area (in this case, Northern

              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 8, 2002
                ahhh....I see...
                Well...*ponders* As much as I'd like to give business to members of
                my own Barony, I certainly dont object to giving business to ANYONE
                in the SCA - I take it you make armour....? :) If so, you *might*
                just want to drop me an email (its wolfshadow72@yahoo) - I have not
                ordered from BtS just yet (I'm waiting for my few electronic bills to
                clear before I decide how much I can afford to spend on 'toys' this
                month...) Or even if you were thinking of someone in particular that
                you nkow who makes armour and who'd want the business...let me know.
                I'm looking to buy arms, legs and kidney belt (steel knee and elbow
                cops, articulated, with leather arm, shoulder and thigh guards); a
                shield basket or even a new shield would be welcome as well...I'm
                doing a little more comparative window-shopping online tonight for
                styles and approx pricing, but I plan on ordering from somewhere by
                the end of the week - I need to get IN armour and be practicing ASAP
                since I'm going to the Rolling Thunder bash down in new mexico at the
                end of september. With any luck I'll have a name and device passed
                by then too...*crosses fingers* I hope to have those submitted by
                the end of this week as well...

              • chemistbb3
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 8, 2002
                  If you need basket hilts or sheild baskets, as an off the shelf
                  item, try these guys. They sell to a couple of other vendors, so
                  you can get them direct at a little bit of a discount. They are used
                  regularly around here. The basket hilts do need a little
                  modification once you get them to allow "free rotation", but that's
                  only about a 10-15 minute modification.

                  http://www.ashcraftbaker.com/index.htm

                  William