Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Armor

  • Justinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2002
      On Wednesday 31 July 2002 06:01 pm, mavros_akropolites wrote:
      > I think I ordered my helm in the fall of 1999. It took more than
      > twice the length of time that I was quoted when ordering the helm.
      > Another fighter in the barony waited several months for an item
      > listed as "in-stock" on the webpage. The helm is actually beautiful
      > and very well constructed. I am constantly complemented on it. So,
      > if you can catch Crimson Hammer at an event, Pennsic for example, I
      > would certainly puchase anything he had there that fit.

      Wow. I'll have to be careful recommending them in the future. I ordered my helm
      at Pennsic, and it was promised for December. In October/November, Mr. Bauldree
      contacted me by phone to tell me that he had bee injured in an accident and
      that this was preventing him from doing the physical work of making the helms.
      He said it would push back delivery about a month. My helm arrived just about
      on schedule, with the delay due to his injury.

      I will make a point of asking around at Pennsic to see what other people's
      experiences have been.

      THL Justinos Tekton called Justin (Scott Courtney)
      Marche of Alderford (Canton, Ohio USA)

      justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
    • Liye23
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1, 2002
        Personally, i wouldn't order any armor from by the sword, except
        possibly leather goods.

        Otherwise go to an armorer that plays in the SCA they most often know
        what's best, a large number of armorers are also knights, so they
        know all the rules and stuff.

        Sidonia
        Shire of Buckland Cross
        East Kingdom.
      • Wolfshadow72
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 2, 2002
          Does their armour not meet the minimums? I called and asked them a
          few questions about the types of leather and steel they used and it
          *sounded* (key word there, I havent seen it for myself yet) identical
          to what I've always used in the past (very thick leather and 16 gauge
          steel on knees and elbows, as well as measurement requirements). I
          wanted to get something local, but what with my schedule and the
          schedules of those here that I know make armour...*shrugs* nothing
          ever seemed to work out as far as times we could meet...which sucks
          because I KNOW I could get it cheaper from them...

          'shadow

          --- In scanewcomers@y..., "Liye23" <liye23@y...> wrote:
          > Personally, i wouldn't order any armor from by the sword, except
          > possibly leather goods.
          >
          > Otherwise go to an armorer that plays in the SCA they most often
          know
          > what's best, a large number of armorers are also knights, so they
          > know all the rules and stuff.
          >
          > Sidonia
          > Shire of Buckland Cross
          > East Kingdom.
        • Scott Szakonyi
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 3, 2002
            Out of curiousity, what's local?
            Wolfshadow72 <wolfshadow72@...> wrote: Does their armour not meet the minimums? I called and asked them a
            few questions about the types of leather and steel they used and it
            *sounded* (key word there, I havent seen it for myself yet) identical
            to what I've always used in the past (very thick leather and 16 gauge
            steel on knees and elbows, as well as measurement requirements). I
            wanted to get something local, but what with my schedule and the
            schedules of those here that I know make armour...*shrugs* nothing
            ever seemed to work out as far as times we could meet...which sucks
            because I KNOW I could get it cheaper from them...

            'shadow

            --- In scanewcomers@y..., "Liye23" <liye23@y...> wrote:
            > Personally, i wouldn't order any armor from by the sword, except
            > possibly leather goods.
            >
            > Otherwise go to an armorer that plays in the SCA they most often
            know
            > what's best, a large number of armorers are also knights, so they
            > know all the rules and stuff.
            >
            > Sidonia
            > Shire of Buckland Cross
            > East Kingdom.

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • Wolfshadow72
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 6, 2002
              errr...someone who lives in the area (in this case, Northern
              Colorado) - I'd rather give business to someone up here,
              but...*shrugs* I havent been able to meet up with the ones up here
              who I know for a fact are into armouring...*sighs* what can I
              say...story of my life these days...:P
              'shadow

              --- In scanewcomers@y..., Scott Szakonyi <thorsman99@y...> wrote:

              > Out of curiousity, what's local?
              > Wolfshadow72 <wolfshadow72@y...> wrote: Does their armour not
              meet the minimums? I called and asked them a
              > few questions about the types of leather and steel they used and it
              > *sounded* (key word there, I havent seen it for myself yet)
              identical
              > to what I've always used in the past (very thick leather and 16
              gauge
              > steel on knees and elbows, as well as measurement requirements). I
              > wanted to get something local, but what with my schedule and the
              > schedules of those here that I know make armour...*shrugs* nothing
              > ever seemed to work out as far as times we could meet...which sucks
              > because I KNOW I could get it cheaper from them...
              >
              > 'shadow
              >
              > --- In scanewcomers@y..., "Liye23" <liye23@y...> wrote:
              > > Personally, i wouldn't order any armor from by the sword, except
              > > possibly leather goods.
              > >
              > > Otherwise go to an armorer that plays in the SCA they most often
              > know
              > > what's best, a large number of armorers are also knights, so they
              > > know all the rules and stuff.
              > >
              > > Sidonia
              > > Shire of Buckland Cross
              > > East Kingdom.
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              Service.

            • Scott Szakonyi
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 7, 2002
                Understood. Just thinking that you never know who is (relatively) local and might have been reading your message. I, sadly, am in Indiana, which is a loooooong way from Colorado... *L*
                Scott
                http://www.thevikingtrader.net
                Wolfshadow72 <wolfshadow72@...> wrote: errr...someone who lives in the area (in this case, Northern

                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 8, 2002
                  ahhh....I see...
                  Well...*ponders* As much as I'd like to give business to members of
                  my own Barony, I certainly dont object to giving business to ANYONE
                  in the SCA - I take it you make armour....? :) If so, you *might*
                  just want to drop me an email (its wolfshadow72@yahoo) - I have not
                  ordered from BtS just yet (I'm waiting for my few electronic bills to
                  clear before I decide how much I can afford to spend on 'toys' this
                  month...) Or even if you were thinking of someone in particular that
                  you nkow who makes armour and who'd want the business...let me know.
                  I'm looking to buy arms, legs and kidney belt (steel knee and elbow
                  cops, articulated, with leather arm, shoulder and thigh guards); a
                  shield basket or even a new shield would be welcome as well...I'm
                  doing a little more comparative window-shopping online tonight for
                  styles and approx pricing, but I plan on ordering from somewhere by
                  the end of the week - I need to get IN armour and be practicing ASAP
                  since I'm going to the Rolling Thunder bash down in new mexico at the
                  end of september. With any luck I'll have a name and device passed
                  by then too...*crosses fingers* I hope to have those submitted by
                  the end of this week as well...

                • chemistbb3
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 8, 2002
                    If you need basket hilts or sheild baskets, as an off the shelf
                    item, try these guys. They sell to a couple of other vendors, so
                    you can get them direct at a little bit of a discount. They are used
                    regularly around here. The basket hilts do need a little
                    modification once you get them to allow "free rotation", but that's
                    only about a 10-15 minute modification.

                    http://www.ashcraftbaker.com/index.htm

                    William