Re: Armor

  • mavros_akropolites
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 31, 2002
      I think I ordered my helm in the fall of 1999. It took more than
      twice the length of time that I was quoted when ordering the helm.
      Another fighter in the barony waited several months for an item
      listed as "in-stock" on the webpage. The helm is actually beautiful
      and very well constructed. I am constantly complemented on it. So,
      if you can catch Crimson Hammer at an event, Pennsic for example, I
      would certainly puchase anything he had there that fit.

      Mavros

      --- In scanewcomers@y..., Justinos Tekton called Justin <justin@4...>
      wrote:
      > On Wednesday 31 July 2002 02:06 pm, mavros_akropolites wrote:
      > > I'm glad Crimson Hammer worked out for you. Myself and another
      > > person from the barony I used to live in had a terrible time
      getting
      > > our already paid for goods from the man. I personally will not go
      > > there again.
      >
      > I'm sorry to hear that. How long ago was it that this happened? My
      helm was
      > purchased about five years ago.
      >
      > Justin
      >
      > --
      > ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::> <::::::::::::::::::[]
      xxxx()

      http://4th.com/sca/justin/
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1, 2002
        On Wednesday 31 July 2002 06:01 pm, mavros_akropolites wrote:
        > I think I ordered my helm in the fall of 1999. It took more than
        > twice the length of time that I was quoted when ordering the helm.
        > Another fighter in the barony waited several months for an item
        > listed as "in-stock" on the webpage. The helm is actually beautiful
        > and very well constructed. I am constantly complemented on it. So,
        > if you can catch Crimson Hammer at an event, Pennsic for example, I
        > would certainly puchase anything he had there that fit.

        Wow. I'll have to be careful recommending them in the future. I ordered my helm
        at Pennsic, and it was promised for December. In October/November, Mr. Bauldree
        contacted me by phone to tell me that he had bee injured in an accident and
        that this was preventing him from doing the physical work of making the helms.
        He said it would push back delivery about a month. My helm arrived just about
        on schedule, with the delay due to his injury.

        I will make a point of asking around at Pennsic to see what other people's
        experiences have been.

        THL Justinos Tekton called Justin (Scott Courtney)
        Marche of Alderford (Canton, Ohio USA)

        justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
      • Liye23
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 1, 2002
          Personally, i wouldn't order any armor from by the sword, except
          possibly leather goods.

          Otherwise go to an armorer that plays in the SCA they most often know
          what's best, a large number of armorers are also knights, so they
          know all the rules and stuff.

          Sidonia
          Shire of Buckland Cross
          East Kingdom.
        • Wolfshadow72
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 2, 2002
            Does their armour not meet the minimums? I called and asked them a
            few questions about the types of leather and steel they used and it
            *sounded* (key word there, I havent seen it for myself yet) identical
            to what I've always used in the past (very thick leather and 16 gauge
            steel on knees and elbows, as well as measurement requirements). I
            wanted to get something local, but what with my schedule and the
            schedules of those here that I know make armour...*shrugs* nothing
            ever seemed to work out as far as times we could meet...which sucks
            because I KNOW I could get it cheaper from them...

            'shadow

            --- In scanewcomers@y..., "Liye23" <liye23@y...> wrote:
            > Personally, i wouldn't order any armor from by the sword, except
            > possibly leather goods.
            >
            > Otherwise go to an armorer that plays in the SCA they most often
            know
            > what's best, a large number of armorers are also knights, so they
            > know all the rules and stuff.
            >
            > Sidonia
            > Shire of Buckland Cross
            > East Kingdom.
          • Scott Szakonyi
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 3, 2002
              Out of curiousity, what's local?
              Wolfshadow72 <wolfshadow72@...> wrote: Does their armour not meet the minimums? I called and asked them a
              few questions about the types of leather and steel they used and it
              *sounded* (key word there, I havent seen it for myself yet) identical
              to what I've always used in the past (very thick leather and 16 gauge
              steel on knees and elbows, as well as measurement requirements). I
              wanted to get something local, but what with my schedule and the
              schedules of those here that I know make armour...*shrugs* nothing
              ever seemed to work out as far as times we could meet...which sucks
              because I KNOW I could get it cheaper from them...

              'shadow

              --- In scanewcomers@y..., "Liye23" <liye23@y...> wrote:
              > Personally, i wouldn't order any armor from by the sword, except
              > possibly leather goods.
              >
              > Otherwise go to an armorer that plays in the SCA they most often
              know
              > what's best, a large number of armorers are also knights, so they
              > know all the rules and stuff.
              >
              > Sidonia
              > Shire of Buckland Cross
              > East Kingdom.

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            • Wolfshadow72
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 6, 2002
                errr...someone who lives in the area (in this case, Northern
                Colorado) - I'd rather give business to someone up here,
                but...*shrugs* I havent been able to meet up with the ones up here
                who I know for a fact are into armouring...*sighs* what can I
                say...story of my life these days...:P
                'shadow

                --- In scanewcomers@y..., Scott Szakonyi <thorsman99@y...> wrote:

                > Out of curiousity, what's local?
                > Wolfshadow72 <wolfshadow72@y...> wrote: Does their armour not
                meet the minimums? I called and asked them a
                > few questions about the types of leather and steel they used and it
                > *sounded* (key word there, I havent seen it for myself yet)
                identical
                > to what I've always used in the past (very thick leather and 16
                gauge
                > steel on knees and elbows, as well as measurement requirements). I
                > wanted to get something local, but what with my schedule and the
                > schedules of those here that I know make armour...*shrugs* nothing
                > ever seemed to work out as far as times we could meet...which sucks
                > because I KNOW I could get it cheaper from them...
                >
                > 'shadow
                >
                > --- In scanewcomers@y..., "Liye23" <liye23@y...> wrote:
                > > Personally, i wouldn't order any armor from by the sword, except
                > > possibly leather goods.
                > >
                > > Otherwise go to an armorer that plays in the SCA they most often
                > know
                > > what's best, a large number of armorers are also knights, so they
                > > know all the rules and stuff.
                > >
                > > Sidonia
                > > Shire of Buckland Cross
                > > East Kingdom.
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                Service.

              • Scott Szakonyi
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 7, 2002
                  Understood. Just thinking that you never know who is (relatively) local and might have been reading your message. I, sadly, am in Indiana, which is a loooooong way from Colorado... *L*
                  Scott
                  http://www.thevikingtrader.net
                  Wolfshadow72 <wolfshadow72@...> wrote: errr...someone who lives in the area (in this case, Northern

                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 8, 2002
                    ahhh....I see...
                    Well...*ponders* As much as I'd like to give business to members of
                    my own Barony, I certainly dont object to giving business to ANYONE
                    in the SCA - I take it you make armour....? :) If so, you *might*
                    just want to drop me an email (its wolfshadow72@yahoo) - I have not
                    ordered from BtS just yet (I'm waiting for my few electronic bills to
                    clear before I decide how much I can afford to spend on 'toys' this
                    month...) Or even if you were thinking of someone in particular that
                    you nkow who makes armour and who'd want the business...let me know.
                    I'm looking to buy arms, legs and kidney belt (steel knee and elbow
                    cops, articulated, with leather arm, shoulder and thigh guards); a
                    shield basket or even a new shield would be welcome as well...I'm
                    doing a little more comparative window-shopping online tonight for
                    styles and approx pricing, but I plan on ordering from somewhere by
                    the end of the week - I need to get IN armour and be practicing ASAP
                    since I'm going to the Rolling Thunder bash down in new mexico at the
                    end of september. With any luck I'll have a name and device passed
                    by then too...*crosses fingers* I hope to have those submitted by
                    the end of this week as well...

                  • chemistbb3
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 8, 2002
                      If you need basket hilts or sheild baskets, as an off the shelf
                      item, try these guys. They sell to a couple of other vendors, so
                      you can get them direct at a little bit of a discount. They are used
                      regularly around here. The basket hilts do need a little
                      modification once you get them to allow "free rotation", but that's
                      only about a 10-15 minute modification.

                      http://www.ashcraftbaker.com/index.htm

                      William