Armor

  • larebel33
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 30 7:34 PM
      Looking for help in finding patterns, for upper and lower portions of leather leg armor. I already have my articulated knees.
      Also I am looking for a spangen helm, does anyone know of a good, fair priced, armoury. I've been looking a White Mountain Armoury, like what I see, but hes not taking any new orders. Any help is greatly appreciated.

      Alrekr
      House Wolffen
    • Wolfshadow72
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 31 3:32 AM
        check out a company called 'by the sword' - they have a great online
        cataloge. I dont have the link offhand, but they sell EVERYTHING -
        clothing, steel weapons, SCA armour,feastgear...I dont know about
        their helms but the rest of their armour is the cheapest I've seen
        ANYWHERE (unless you make it yourself) - and it looks to be well made
        stuff. I'm going to be ordering from them in the next week or so
        after I've paid all my bills - my elbows wussed out on me just a few
        weeks ago..time for a change anyway. (most women change hairstyles or
        makeup or buy clothing...I get armour and/or metal pointy things to
        hang on my walls...go fig. :P)

        'shadow

        --- In scanewcomers@y..., "larebel33" <LaRebel33@w...> wrote:
        > Looking for help in finding patterns, for upper and lower portions
        of leather leg armor. I already have my articulated knees.
        > Also I am looking for a spangen helm, does anyone know of a good,
        fair priced, armoury. I've been looking a White Mountain Armoury,
        like what I see, but hes not taking any new orders. Any help is
        greatly appreciated.

        > Alrekr
        > House Wolffen
      • Justinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 31 6:18 AM
          On Wednesday 31 July 2002 06:32 am, Wolfshadow72 wrote:
          > I dont have the link offhand, but they sell EVERYTHING -
          > clothing, steel weapons, SCA armour,feastgear...I dont know about
          > their helms but the rest of their armour is the cheapest I've seen
          > ANYWHERE (unless you make it yourself)

          For helms, I have had great success with Crimson Hammer Armoury. Alan
          Bauldree is the proprietor.

          web: http://www.creative-net.net/~armour/
          email: artisans@...

          You have to order and it takes several months (3-4 generally) to get a
          custom helm. He does have off-the-shelf stuff, but if you order you get
          something fitted to you.

          Armour, other than the helm, isn't as hard to make as you would think. I
          made everything that I wear except for my helm (and my tabard, which was
          made by two ladies in my household). And that was when I was just learning
          to fight. You gain experience making simple armour, and then you remake
          things gradually over time as you develop your own style and preferences.

          I just finished a pair of stainless steel "lobster" gauntlets that would
          have cost several hundred dollars to purchase. I made them myself, with
          the advice and wisdom of Lord Garth (our local armour guru), and they
          cost me less than $50 in materials.

          The advantages of making your own armor are (1) you get exactly what you
          want, and over time, you can adapt it to your increasking skill and your
          better-defined preferences, (2) you learn a useful skill, (3) it's a lot
          of fun, (4) you save a ton of money, and (5) if it breaks at an event, and
          you made it yourself, you don't need someone else to help you repair it.

          I am by no means an expert on armouring or fighting. I've been at it since
          about 1997 or 1998, but I haven't gotten as serious about fighting as many
          others do, so I still consider myself "intermediate" rather than advanced.
          My armouring skills are better than my fighting skills, though, because
          I have a natural aptitude for it. Goes with being an engineer in the
          modern world. :-)

          THL Justinos Tekton called Justin (Scott Courtney)
          Marche of Alderford (Canton, Ohio USA)

          justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
        • mavros_akropolites
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 31 11:06 AM
            Greetings,

            I'm glad Crimson Hammer worked out for you. Myself and another
            person from the barony I used to live in had a terrible time getting
            our already paid for goods from the man. I personally will not go
            there again.

            Mavros

            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 31 12:36 PM
              On Wednesday 31 July 2002 02:06 pm, mavros_akropolites wrote:
              > I'm glad Crimson Hammer worked out for you. Myself and another
              > person from the barony I used to live in had a terrible time getting
              > our already paid for goods from the man. I personally will not go
              > there again.

              I'm sorry to hear that. How long ago was it that this happened? My helm was
              purchased about five years ago.

              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 31 3:01 PM
                I think I ordered my helm in the fall of 1999. It took more than
                twice the length of time that I was quoted when ordering the helm.
                Another fighter in the barony waited several months for an item
                listed as "in-stock" on the webpage. The helm is actually beautiful
                and very well constructed. I am constantly complemented on it. So,
                if you can catch Crimson Hammer at an event, Pennsic for example, I
                would certainly puchase anything he had there that fit.

                Mavros

                --- In scanewcomers@y..., Justinos Tekton called Justin <justin@4...>

                http://4th.com/sca/justin/
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 1, 2002
                  On Wednesday 31 July 2002 06:01 pm, mavros_akropolites wrote:
                  > I think I ordered my helm in the fall of 1999. It took more than
                  > twice the length of time that I was quoted when ordering the helm.
                  > Another fighter in the barony waited several months for an item
                  > listed as "in-stock" on the webpage. The helm is actually beautiful
                  > and very well constructed. I am constantly complemented on it. So,
                  > if you can catch Crimson Hammer at an event, Pennsic for example, I
                  > would certainly puchase anything he had there that fit.

                  Wow. I'll have to be careful recommending them in the future. I ordered my helm
                  at Pennsic, and it was promised for December. In October/November, Mr. Bauldree
                  contacted me by phone to tell me that he had bee injured in an accident and
                  that this was preventing him from doing the physical work of making the helms.
                  He said it would push back delivery about a month. My helm arrived just about
                  on schedule, with the delay due to his injury.

                  I will make a point of asking around at Pennsic to see what other people's
                  experiences have been.

                  THL Justinos Tekton called Justin (Scott Courtney)
                  Marche of Alderford (Canton, Ohio USA)

                  justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
                • Liye23
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 1, 2002
                    Personally, i wouldn't order any armor from by the sword, except
                    possibly leather goods.

                    Otherwise go to an armorer that plays in the SCA they most often know
                    what's best, a large number of armorers are also knights, so they
                    know all the rules and stuff.

                    Sidonia
                    Shire of Buckland Cross
                    East Kingdom.
                  • Wolfshadow72
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 2, 2002
                      Does their armour not meet the minimums? I called and asked them a
                      few questions about the types of leather and steel they used and it
                      *sounded* (key word there, I havent seen it for myself yet) identical
                      to what I've always used in the past (very thick leather and 16 gauge
                      steel on knees and elbows, as well as measurement requirements). I
                      wanted to get something local, but what with my schedule and the
                      schedules of those here that I know make armour...*shrugs* nothing
                      ever seemed to work out as far as times we could meet...which sucks
                      because I KNOW I could get it cheaper from them...

                      'shadow

                      --- In scanewcomers@y..., "Liye23" <liye23@y...> wrote:
                      > Personally, i wouldn't order any armor from by the sword, except
                      > possibly leather goods.
                      >
                      > Otherwise go to an armorer that plays in the SCA they most often
                      know
                      > what's best, a large number of armorers are also knights, so they
                      > know all the rules and stuff.
                      >
                      > Sidonia
                      > Shire of Buckland Cross
                      > East Kingdom.
                    • Scott Szakonyi
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 3, 2002
                        Out of curiousity, what's local?
                        Wolfshadow72 <wolfshadow72@...> wrote: Does their armour not meet the minimums? I called and asked them a
                        few questions about the types of leather and steel they used and it
                        *sounded* (key word there, I havent seen it for myself yet) identical
                        to what I've always used in the past (very thick leather and 16 gauge
                        steel on knees and elbows, as well as measurement requirements). I
                        wanted to get something local, but what with my schedule and the
                        schedules of those here that I know make armour...*shrugs* nothing
                        ever seemed to work out as far as times we could meet...which sucks
                        because I KNOW I could get it cheaper from them...

                        'shadow

                        --- In scanewcomers@y..., "Liye23" <liye23@y...> wrote:
                        > Personally, i wouldn't order any armor from by the sword, except
                        > possibly leather goods.
                        >
                        > Otherwise go to an armorer that plays in the SCA they most often
                        know
                        > what's best, a large number of armorers are also knights, so they
                        > know all the rules and stuff.
                        >
                        > Sidonia
                        > Shire of Buckland Cross
                        > East Kingdom.

                        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                      • Wolfshadow72
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 6, 2002
                          errr...someone who lives in the area (in this case, Northern
                          Colorado) - I'd rather give business to someone up here,
                          but...*shrugs* I havent been able to meet up with the ones up here
                          who I know for a fact are into armouring...*sighs* what can I
                          say...story of my life these days...:P
                          'shadow

                          --- In scanewcomers@y..., Scott Szakonyi <thorsman99@y...> wrote:

                          > Out of curiousity, what's local?
                          > Wolfshadow72 <wolfshadow72@y...> wrote: Does their armour not
                          meet the minimums? I called and asked them a
                          > few questions about the types of leather and steel they used and it
                          > *sounded* (key word there, I havent seen it for myself yet)
                          identical
                          > to what I've always used in the past (very thick leather and 16
                          gauge
                          > steel on knees and elbows, as well as measurement requirements). I
                          > wanted to get something local, but what with my schedule and the
                          > schedules of those here that I know make armour...*shrugs* nothing
                          > ever seemed to work out as far as times we could meet...which sucks
                          > because I KNOW I could get it cheaper from them...
                          >
                          > 'shadow
                          >
                          > --- In scanewcomers@y..., "Liye23" <liye23@y...> wrote:
                          > > Personally, i wouldn't order any armor from by the sword, except
                          > > possibly leather goods.
                          > >
                          > > Otherwise go to an armorer that plays in the SCA they most often
                          > know
                          > > what's best, a large number of armorers are also knights, so they
                          > > know all the rules and stuff.
                          > >
                          > > Sidonia
                          > > Shire of Buckland Cross
                          > > East Kingdom.
                          >

                          > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                          Service.

                        • Scott Szakonyi
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 7, 2002
                            Understood. Just thinking that you never know who is (relatively) local and might have been reading your message. I, sadly, am in Indiana, which is a loooooong way from Colorado... *L*
                            Scott
                            http://www.thevikingtrader.net
                            Wolfshadow72 <wolfshadow72@...> wrote: errr...someone who lives in the area (in this case, Northern

                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 8, 2002
                              ahhh....I see...
                              Well...*ponders* As much as I'd like to give business to members of
                              my own Barony, I certainly dont object to giving business to ANYONE
                              in the SCA - I take it you make armour....? :) If so, you *might*
                              just want to drop me an email (its wolfshadow72@yahoo) - I have not
                              ordered from BtS just yet (I'm waiting for my few electronic bills to
                              clear before I decide how much I can afford to spend on 'toys' this
                              month...) Or even if you were thinking of someone in particular that
                              you nkow who makes armour and who'd want the business...let me know.
                              I'm looking to buy arms, legs and kidney belt (steel knee and elbow
                              cops, articulated, with leather arm, shoulder and thigh guards); a
                              shield basket or even a new shield would be welcome as well...I'm
                              doing a little more comparative window-shopping online tonight for
                              styles and approx pricing, but I plan on ordering from somewhere by
                              the end of the week - I need to get IN armour and be practicing ASAP
                              since I'm going to the Rolling Thunder bash down in new mexico at the
                              end of september. With any luck I'll have a name and device passed
                              by then too...*crosses fingers* I hope to have those submitted by
                              the end of this week as well...

                            • chemistbb3
                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 8, 2002
                                If you need basket hilts or sheild baskets, as an off the shelf
                                item, try these guys. They sell to a couple of other vendors, so
                                you can get them direct at a little bit of a discount. They are used
                                regularly around here. The basket hilts do need a little
                                modification once you get them to allow "free rotation", but that's
                                only about a 10-15 minute modification.

                                http://www.ashcraftbaker.com/index.htm

                                William