Re: [SCA Newcomers] multi-persona

  • Justinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 12, 2002
      On Friday 12 July 2002 06:36 pm, aislinn_de_juatt wrote:
      > Quick question, how common is it for a person to have multiple
      > persona's, and how do they pull it off???

      Well, that's actually two questions, but that's okay. :-)

      Multiple personae are not terribly common, but neither are they especially
      rare. That's a pretty vague answer, I know. Sorry. Suffice it to say that
      the majority of SCAdians have only one persona, but that stating that you
      have two personae isn't something that raises many eyebrows, either.

      There are a variety of reasons to choose multiple personae, and likewise a
      variety of ways to accomplish this.

      Probably the most common reason is simply that a person has an interest in
      more than one historical period or culture. If I am fascinated by 11th
      century Byzantium, but my modern ancestry is English, I don't have to choose
      between the two. I could be Justinos Tekton at one event and Lord Thomas
      the Tinker at the next.

      Perhaps I want to do two personae so that I have a broader choice of garb
      and accoutrements. As a Byzantine, I would come from a warm-weather area,
      and would not be suitably attired for events in northeastern Ohio in the
      middle of January. In my personal situation, I simply choose to say that
      my Byzantine persona is travelling in the lands of western Europe and has
      adopted the local dress for all occasions except Court. I could, however,
      have created an alternative persona who was from Europe or some other cool
      climate instead.

      A woman who wishes to fight in the SCA has several choices of how to explain
      doing so even though historical precedent appears to have been relatively
      rare. She can assume a persona that is from a culture where women *did*
      fight. Or she can say that she happens to be one of those rare women who
      fought even in a culture where it was uncommon. She is perfectly within her
      rights to simply declare, "I am from the *Current* Middle Ages, and in these
      Current Middle Ages we are not held to rigid gender roles." Or she can adopt
      an alternative persona who is a male.

      This last example illustrates one of the main differences between the actual
      (historical) Middle Ages and the SCA's Current Middle Ages. In the Current
      Middle Ages, we re-create history as it "should have been." We allow men and
      women to choose their activities based on personal interest and on their
      physical and mental ability to participate, rather than forcing people into
      narrow gender roles. As a male, I am also free to learn skills that were
      traditionally female in many cultures (and, in fact, I am doing so). Most
      female fighters in the SCA simply say that they choose to fight, and that
      settles the matter. It is not required that a female fighter try to "explain"
      herself to anyone -- those who do, are doing so by their own personal choice
      because (usually) of a desire to feel very authentic in their persona.

      These are some of the many reasons why a person might have multiple personae.
      Another reason is that one may simply grow tired of an established persona
      and wish to try something new. That's perfectly all right, too.

      How do you become another persona? Simply research (to the degree that you
      wish and are able) the new period and culture, select a name, and tell your
      friends. There is no official "registration" of personae within the SCA, as
      far as I am aware. You can register multiple names with the College of
      Heralds. I forget the exact number; there is a limit, but few people will
      ever have that many personae. You do not, however, have to register the name
      of your new persona in order to use it, so long as no one else has the
      same name already.

      Getting rid of an unwanted persona is just as simple. Merely stop using that
      persona, and let your friends know that you wish to be called a new name
      and thought of as being from a new culture and/or time period.

      The biggest downside to multiple personae is generally confusion among one's
      acquaintances. People who have called you Lady Mathilda Tweedleneedle for
      ten years will have trouble, at least for a while, remembering to call you
      Lady Zelda Warhammer.

      By the way, you retain all your SCA awards, honors, and titles across all
      personae. Even though the scrolls have your SCA name on them, it was you as
      a real-life human being who earned these scrolls. So your scrolls may be
      out of date if you change persona, but they are still yours.

      I hope you find this explanation helpful.

      Incidentally, I have toyed with the idea of doing a humorous alternate persona.
      He would be known as "Duct the Ubiquitous."

      THL Justinos Tekton called Justin (Scott Courtney)
      Marche of Alderford (Canton, Ohio USA)

      justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
    • chemistbb3
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 12, 2002
        I know of a number of Ladies with multiple personas. Although some
        have personas based on different cultures, others are based on
        different times, and a couple are based on station, i.e. Proper Lady
        and kitchen wench. The key is the garb as to which persona they are
        playing. They usually have a main persona they have thedetails on
        and the secondary persona is roughed in.

        I'm going to try to do the different persona based on time period.

        William

        --- In scanewcomers@y..., "aislinn_de_juatt" <fsvly@u...> wrote:
        > Quick question, how common is it for a person to have multiple
        > persona's, and how do they pull it off???
        > Thanks
        > Aislinn
      • Lynne Lowe
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 12, 2002

          > Incidentally, I have toyed with the idea of doing a
          > humorous alternate persona.
          > He would be known as "Duct the Ubiquitous."
          >
          > Justin

          Hi,
          Perhaps his personal arms could have wide silver
          stripes *tape*ring to a point at the bottom. ;)
          (*duct*ing and hiding)

          Alycia Helena

          http://autos.yahoo.com
        • Mary-Henline
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 12, 2002
            Milady Alycia,
            You don't know Justin! I swear that man's never with a roll of duct tape somewhere within reach!

            He keeps telling me that it's an official product for the SCA. Grins.

            Mary
            ---------------------------

            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 12, 2002
              On Friday 12 July 2002 11:13 pm, Mary-Henline wrote:
              > You don't know Justin! I swear that man's never with a roll of duct tape
              > somewhere within reach!

              Oh, Mary...you *are* a newcomer to the SCA. Otherwise you would realize
              that this behavior is by no means unique to me! <GRIN>

              If the SCA is ever disbanded all the duct tape companies go bankrupt.

              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 12, 2002
                On Friday 12 July 2002 11:04 pm, Lynne Lowe wrote:
                > Perhaps his personal arms could have wide silver
                > stripes *tape*ring to a point at the bottom. ;)
                > (*duct*ing and hiding)

                Groan!!!! How did we get *stuck* with a pun like that? Better call it
                a *wrap* before we become bad *roll* models.

                So, in Latin, would one call this whole exchange....

                Re*duct*o ad absurdium?

                Justin
                Crawling back under his rock now...

                THL Justinos Tekton called Justin (Scott Courtney)
                Marche of Alderford (Canton, Ohio USA)

                justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
              • aislinn_de_juatt
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 12, 2002
                  > If the SCA is ever disbanded all the duct tape companies go
                  bankrupt.

                  I don't know about that, nearly everyone I know up here in alaska
                  has atleast a roll of duct tape in their packs, SCA and otherwise.
                  :)
                  Aislinn
                • Stephanie Hostman
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 12, 2002
                    > I don't know about that, nearly everyone I know up here in alaska has
                    > atleast a roll of duct tape in their packs, SCA and otherwise. :)
                    > Aislinn

                    I have a roll in my car. You never know when you might need it. I used
                    it at work just today.

                    Aislinn- Are you going to Coronet? If so I'd love to put a face with
                    the name (although you sounds very familiar to me).

                    m.k.a. Stephanie
                    who is very happy to have found documentation on her chosen name- Briante

                  • aislinn_de_juatt
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 13, 2002
                      I'm going to try. I'm in Washington right now getting ready to head
                      back home. I have a 4 day drive ahead of me, and 2 days worth of
                      sewing to do before cornet. It'll be fun though.
                      Aislinn
                      mka Veronica

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 13, 2002
                        > I'm going to try. I'm in Washington right now getting ready to head
                        > back home. I have a 4 day drive ahead of me, and 2 days worth of sewing
                        > to do before cornet. It'll be fun though.

                        Somehow I think our version of fun is twisted. 2 days of sewing?! Well
                        with all three baronies having people sworn-in... I have some
                        cross-stitching to finish before then, but nothing I can't get done. Be
                        safe on your drive!

                      • Lynne Lowe
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 13, 2002
                          Hi,
                          We have been involved with the Boy Scouts for
                          years, and they call it Boy Scout Tape. If you don't
                          have a roll of it you are not properly packed for
                          camping. The uses that have been made of it are, how
                          can I put this, *amazing* to say the least. Very
                          useful stuff!

                          Alycia Helena

                          --- Mary-Henline <Mary-Henline@...> wrote:
                          > Milady Alycia,
                          > You don't know Justin! I swear that man's never with
                          > a roll of duct tape somewhere within reach!
                          >
                          > He keeps telling me that it's an official product
                          > for the SCA. Grins.
                          >
                          > Mary
                          > ---------------------------
                          > Incidentally, I have toyed with the idea of doing a
                          > > humorous alternate persona.
                          > > He would be known as "Duct the Ubiquitous."
                          > >
                          > > Justin
                          > >

                          > Hi,
                          > Perhaps his personal arms could have wide silver
                          > stripes *tape*ring to a point at the bottom. ;)
                          > (*duct*ing and hiding)
                          >
                          > Alycia Helena

                          http://autos.yahoo.com
                        • Lynne Lowe
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 13, 2002
                            --- Justinos Tekton called Justin <justin@...>
                            wrote:
                            > On Friday 12 July 2002 11:04 pm, Lynne Lowe wrote:
                            > > Perhaps his personal arms could have wide silver
                            > > stripes *tape*ring to a point at the bottom. ;)
                            > > (*duct*ing and hiding)
                            >
                            > Groan!!!! How did we get *stuck* with a pun like
                            > that? Better call it
                            > a *wrap* before we become bad *roll* models.
                            >
                            > So, in Latin, would one call this whole exchange....
                            >
                            > Re*duct*o ad absurdium?
                            >
                            > Justin
                            > Crawling back under his rock now...

                            Hi,
                            Well, I don't know about that, But getting to the
                            (cardboard)*core* of the matter, it looks like you
                            have a motto for him as well as a possible coat of
                            arms. *Pun*ny how these things just *roll* along.
                            *Stick* to it and you should have quite a character.
                            Perhaps he could be something of a medieval detective
                            then he could be de*duct*ing things. (*duct*ing and
                            hiding even faster this time)

                            Alycia Helena

                            http://autos.yahoo.com
                          • Wolfgang von Eifel
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 15, 2002
                              yes the words "enough duct tape do not exisit im my vocabulary or in the
                              vocabularies of many SCAdians.un an unrelated note if you live with
                              pracitcle jokers dont EVER lend them your tape!

                              >From: Justinos Tekton called Justin <justin@...>
                              >To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
                              >Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] multi-persona
                              >Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 00:11:10 -0400
                              >
                              >On Friday 12 July 2002 11:13 pm, Mary-Henline wrote:
                              > > You don't know Justin! I swear that man's never with a roll of duct tape
                              > > somewhere within reach!
                              >
                              >Oh, Mary...you *are* a newcomer to the SCA. Otherwise you would realize
                              >that this behavior is by no means unique to me! <GRIN>
                              >
                              >If the SCA is ever disbanded all the duct tape companies go bankrupt.
                              >
                              >--
                              >
                              >THL Justinos Tekton called Justin (Scott Courtney)
                              >Marche of Alderford (Canton, Ohio USA)
                              >
                              >justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
                              > PGP Public Key at http://4th.com/keys/justin.pubkey

                              Wolfgang von Eifel