Re: [SCA Newcomers] MIstress???

  • Rachael and Taber Emborg
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 11, 2002
      I am going to try to give a general response to this post, since customs
      vary from Kingdom to Kingdom.

      The basic award structure of the SCA as I was taught goes something like
      this:

      A person who is new to the SCA and has not yet received an award of arms is
      often referred to as m"lord <name> or m'lady <name> . However, m'Lord or
      m"ady are not titles to be used before names, rather they are forms of
      address to be used when you don't know someone's name. An example would be
      "Good day, m'Lady," as opposed to "good day <name>"

      A person who has received an award of arms is known as an armiger. This
      entitles them to call themselves Lord <name> or Lady <name>.

      When a person receives a Grant of Arms, they are entitled to use one of the
      following forms:
      Grants of Arms are given to those who already have Awards of Arms, but are
      not yet peers. Some Kingdoms have awards, known as grant level awards, that
      also entitle the recipient to use these titles.

      A Peer is someone who has achieved an exceptional level of excellence in
      their chosen field. The peerages consist of Knighthood (fighting), Laurels
      (Arts) and Pelicans (service). There is also a category called Master (or
      Mistress) of Arms which is also for fighting, but the recipient is not
      expected to swear fealty to he King and Queen. All other peers are. Peers
      can use the titles Master or Mistress. There are some other alternate
      titles, such as Dame (usually used by women).

      There are also Royal Peers. These are generally the people that wear
      coronets or crowns. There are a wide array of titles that go with these
      "hats", but just keep in mind that the minimum ranking will entitle the
      wearer to be addressed as "Your excellency <name if you know it>". You
      really can't go wrong with that if you don't know their full rank. Most
      people that wear "hats" are very approchable, and would be glad to meet you.

      Sometimes the best way to find out more about different people's titles is
      to introduce yourself, and if they give you a fancy title along with their
      name, ask them what that means.

      Hope this helps,
      Thea