RE: [SCA Newcomers] Brand new & a question!

  • Talrath von Eifel
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 5, 2002
      as to altreing the dress to accomodate breast feading, i feel that because
      it so simple that someone some where must have done it at one point in time
      or another. but that is my theory on period garb. there are many out ther
      who might disagree with me though.
      on an unrelated note happy fourth of july every one even though that it is
      technicaly the fith as i am writing this.

      >From: "The Byks" <thebyks@...>
      >To: <scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com>
      >Subject: RE: [SCA Newcomers] Brand new & a question!
      >Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 23:29:53 -0400
      >
      >Just wanted to say thank you, everyone! It is a huge relief to hear that
      >our stroller should not be a problem. :) I WILL be wearing our Mayawrap
      >babysling as well. Thanks for the reminder!
      >
      >Covering the stroller with a sheet is a good idea. It will give the kids
      >more shade, too!
      >
      >I had already cut out & sewn my 13 month old's tunic before I read the post
      >about cutting the ribbing off a t-shirt -- what a great idea! For my 2 1/2
      >year old, I dyed one of my husband's too-small undershirts with tea & got
      >it
      >a nice tan color. Then I covered the ribbing with navy 1/2" bias tape. A
      >length of the same tape tied around his waist for a belt, and viola! He is
      >adorable in it, if I do say so myself! :)
      >
      >For my own tunic-dress I cut a slit down the front made 2" bias tape to go
      >around the neck and up and down the slit. I will cut small holes & thread
      >cord through them to lace the front up...I have no idea if this is
      >authentic
      >or not but I needed some kind of access to be able to nurse the baby & that
      >was the easiest way I could think of. I am doing all of this by hand so
      >easy is good! :) I think I am going to cheat and just glue the skirt's
      >hem
      >tho...
      >
      >My husband decided he would come with me and the boys on Friday night! He
      >already has several shirts from various ren fests but he doesn't have any
      >pants. I have a pair of tan knit pants that I could put elastic through
      >the
      >hems in the legs so he could balloon them out a bit - if I can convince him
      >to wear women's pants! Otherwise he will just have to wear kakhis.
      >
      >Sorry for rambling on...I am just a bit excited. =)
      >
      >Thanks again!
      >
      >-Sara.

    • annette marchant
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 5, 2002
        I hope you have fun Sara! I lucked out, my four year old son likes to play
        dress up, so we used Captain Hook, Peter Pan and Robin Hood (even an Anikan
        Skywalker, without the mask!) costumes a lot. But the easiest was oversized
        tshirts with the ribbing cut off. I know you will have fun! Another
        reminder, take warm things for sleeping at night. The first event I went to
        in June it was freezing at night (90 degreess during the day!) so we wore
        all the clothes we bought and were still cold. I wish I had had blanket
        sleepers for the boys at night (not period I know but cold cranky children
        aren't fun!)
        Annette Marchant
        SAHM to Spencer 4-14-98
        and Parker 9-27-00