RE: [SCA Newcomers] canes or crutches

  • The Byks
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3, 2002
      I hope it's all right for me to jump right in here...:)

      There is a web site at

      http://www.dinf.ne.jp/doc/othr/dwe002/dwe00201.htm
      which has many ideas for handicapped children who live in villages & places
      without much medical care. There is a page on canes & crutches here:

      http://www.dinf.ne.jp/doc/othr/dwe002/dwe00245.htm#part1chap43

      and designs and building instructions are at

      http://www.dinf.ne.jp/doc/othr/dwe002/dwe00265.htm#584

      with the elbow-ring crutches below the armpit crutches.

      I have absolutely no idea how these compare to crutches used in the middle
      ages, but at the very least it gives you an alternative to modern-looking
      plastic & metal.

      Best of luck!

      -Sara.

    • kim klug
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 5, 2002
        Dear Sara,

        Thank you so very much!

        That is exactly the sort of information I was hoping people would have that I don't have. I will be saving that information in a bookmark for sure!

        My knee is currently doing better, but I have a feeling that my big black neoprene brace is going to be a must have for any event I go to. Thank goodness that bulky thing can be hidden by my garb!

        Again, my thanks!

        Reva of Ravenwater

        I had a thought ....
        but the thought escaped me ...

      • The Byks
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 6, 2002
          >> That is exactly the sort of information I was hoping people would have
          that I don't have. I will be saving that information in a bookmark for
          sure!

          Oh I'm so glad! I wasn't sure if you'd be able to use it or not, but
          thought it wouldn't hurt to try. :)

          I'd be really interested to see whatever you end up making, if you didn't
          mind sharing it.

          Hope your knee continues to hold up!

          -Sara.