Re: [SCA Newcomers] Brand new & a question!

  • Mayra Figueras
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 3 3:51 PM
      The Byks wrote:

      > Is it all right for a newbie to show up with such a thing at an event? I
      > can at least have the 3 of us dressed in T-tunics...

      Sarah, have no idea where you are but from my experience, no one will say a word
      to you about the stroller. We do what we can. My mantra is "reasonable
      attempt." Go take your boys in their stroller and T-tunics and have a wonderful
      time! I would do the same things if my babies (now 16, 14, and 12) were the
      same age. Take pictures, make memories, make friends and have a good time! If
      it is an outdoor event make sure to take your sun block and plenty of water!
      Welcome! Welcome from one newbie to another, I've been in a whole whopping 6
      months myself! Going to my Newcomers meeting tonight to select a surname for
      myself and get an idea for a device. 14 y/o daughter also going to select her
      names as well (she has a dual persona, escaped novice from a convent
      masquerading as a boy to avoid capture!)

      Again enjoy, enjoy.

      --
      Madelena
      (mka Mayra Hidalgo-Figueras)
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 4 8:29 PM
        Just wanted to say thank you, everyone! It is a huge relief to hear that
        our stroller should not be a problem. :) I WILL be wearing our Mayawrap
        babysling as well. Thanks for the reminder!

        Covering the stroller with a sheet is a good idea. It will give the kids
        more shade, too!

        I had already cut out & sewn my 13 month old's tunic before I read the post
        about cutting the ribbing off a t-shirt -- what a great idea! For my 2 1/2
        year old, I dyed one of my husband's too-small undershirts with tea & got it
        a nice tan color. Then I covered the ribbing with navy 1/2" bias tape. A
        length of the same tape tied around his waist for a belt, and viola! He is
        adorable in it, if I do say so myself! :)

        For my own tunic-dress I cut a slit down the front made 2" bias tape to go
        around the neck and up and down the slit. I will cut small holes & thread a
        cord through them to lace the front up...I have no idea if this is authentic
        or not but I needed some kind of access to be able to nurse the baby & that
        was the easiest way I could think of. I am doing all of this by hand so
        easy is good! :) I think I am going to cheat and just glue the skirt's hem
        tho...

        My husband decided he would come with me and the boys on Friday night! He
        already has several shirts from various ren fests but he doesn't have any
        pants. I have a pair of tan knit pants that I could put elastic through the
        hems in the legs so he could balloon them out a bit - if I can convince him
        to wear women's pants! Otherwise he will just have to wear kakhis.

        Sorry for rambling on...I am just a bit excited. =)

        Thanks again!

        -Sara.

      • Talrath von Eifel
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 5 12:07 AM
          as to altreing the dress to accomodate breast feading, i feel that because
          it so simple that someone some where must have done it at one point in time
          or another. but that is my theory on period garb. there are many out ther
          who might disagree with me though.
          on an unrelated note happy fourth of july every one even though that it is
          technicaly the fith as i am writing this.

          >From: "The Byks" <thebyks@...>
          >To: <scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: RE: [SCA Newcomers] Brand new & a question!
          >Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 23:29:53 -0400
          >
          >Just wanted to say thank you, everyone! It is a huge relief to hear that
          >our stroller should not be a problem. :) I WILL be wearing our Mayawrap
          >babysling as well. Thanks for the reminder!
          >
          >Covering the stroller with a sheet is a good idea. It will give the kids
          >more shade, too!
          >
          >I had already cut out & sewn my 13 month old's tunic before I read the post
          >about cutting the ribbing off a t-shirt -- what a great idea! For my 2 1/2
          >year old, I dyed one of my husband's too-small undershirts with tea & got
          >it
          >a nice tan color. Then I covered the ribbing with navy 1/2" bias tape. A
          >length of the same tape tied around his waist for a belt, and viola! He is
          >adorable in it, if I do say so myself! :)
          >
          >For my own tunic-dress I cut a slit down the front made 2" bias tape to go
          >around the neck and up and down the slit. I will cut small holes & thread
          >cord through them to lace the front up...I have no idea if this is
          >authentic
          >or not but I needed some kind of access to be able to nurse the baby & that
          >was the easiest way I could think of. I am doing all of this by hand so
          >easy is good! :) I think I am going to cheat and just glue the skirt's
          >hem
          >tho...
          >
          >My husband decided he would come with me and the boys on Friday night! He
          >already has several shirts from various ren fests but he doesn't have any
          >pants. I have a pair of tan knit pants that I could put elastic through
          >the
          >hems in the legs so he could balloon them out a bit - if I can convince him
          >to wear women's pants! Otherwise he will just have to wear kakhis.
          >
          >Sorry for rambling on...I am just a bit excited. =)
          >
          >Thanks again!
          >
          >-Sara.

        • annette marchant
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 5 5:59 AM
            I hope you have fun Sara! I lucked out, my four year old son likes to play
            dress up, so we used Captain Hook, Peter Pan and Robin Hood (even an Anikan
            Skywalker, without the mask!) costumes a lot. But the easiest was oversized
            tshirts with the ribbing cut off. I know you will have fun! Another
            reminder, take warm things for sleeping at night. The first event I went to
            in June it was freezing at night (90 degreess during the day!) so we wore
            all the clothes we bought and were still cold. I wish I had had blanket
            sleepers for the boys at night (not period I know but cold cranky children
            aren't fun!)
            Annette Marchant
            SAHM to Spencer 4-14-98
            and Parker 9-27-00