Re: [SCA Newcomers] Brand new & a question!

  • Mary-Henline
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 3, 2002
      We had a person this weekend with a double stroller. I don't see anything wrong with it myself--to me it's more important that you are comfortable, then to have to be truly authentic.

      I camped in a dome 10'x10' tent this weekend to keep the bugs away.

      Smiles.

      That wasn't too authentic but it was good for me! :)

      The only ones who will complain will be the ones without kids, trust me!

      Dee
      Milady Mary Henline, Alderford, Middle Kingdom
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 3, 2002
        > > Is it all right for a newbie to show up with such
        > a thing at an event? I
        > > can at least have the 3 of us dressed in
        > T-tunics...

        Absolutely it's alright! I think there is a lot of
        leniency where kids are concerned, so don't even worry
        about taking along modern toys for them to play with.
        I saw some young boys playing with Hot Wheels at the
        last event I went to. Go and have fun and do what you
        need to to keep the kids happy.

        Jane

        http://sbc.yahoo.com
      • Mayra Figueras
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 3, 2002
          The Byks wrote:

          > Is it all right for a newbie to show up with such a thing at an event? I
          > can at least have the 3 of us dressed in T-tunics...

          Sarah, have no idea where you are but from my experience, no one will say a word
          to you about the stroller. We do what we can. My mantra is "reasonable
          attempt." Go take your boys in their stroller and T-tunics and have a wonderful
          time! I would do the same things if my babies (now 16, 14, and 12) were the
          same age. Take pictures, make memories, make friends and have a good time! If
          it is an outdoor event make sure to take your sun block and plenty of water!
          Welcome! Welcome from one newbie to another, I've been in a whole whopping 6
          months myself! Going to my Newcomers meeting tonight to select a surname for
          myself and get an idea for a device. 14 y/o daughter also going to select her
          names as well (she has a dual persona, escaped novice from a convent
          masquerading as a boy to avoid capture!)

          Again enjoy, enjoy.

          --
          Madelena
          (mka Mayra Hidalgo-Figueras)
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 4, 2002
            Just wanted to say thank you, everyone! It is a huge relief to hear that
            our stroller should not be a problem. :) I WILL be wearing our Mayawrap
            babysling as well. Thanks for the reminder!

            Covering the stroller with a sheet is a good idea. It will give the kids
            more shade, too!

            I had already cut out & sewn my 13 month old's tunic before I read the post
            about cutting the ribbing off a t-shirt -- what a great idea! For my 2 1/2
            year old, I dyed one of my husband's too-small undershirts with tea & got it
            a nice tan color. Then I covered the ribbing with navy 1/2" bias tape. A
            length of the same tape tied around his waist for a belt, and viola! He is
            adorable in it, if I do say so myself! :)

            For my own tunic-dress I cut a slit down the front made 2" bias tape to go
            around the neck and up and down the slit. I will cut small holes & thread a
            cord through them to lace the front up...I have no idea if this is authentic
            or not but I needed some kind of access to be able to nurse the baby & that
            was the easiest way I could think of. I am doing all of this by hand so
            easy is good! :) I think I am going to cheat and just glue the skirt's hem
            tho...

            My husband decided he would come with me and the boys on Friday night! He
            already has several shirts from various ren fests but he doesn't have any
            pants. I have a pair of tan knit pants that I could put elastic through the
            hems in the legs so he could balloon them out a bit - if I can convince him
            to wear women's pants! Otherwise he will just have to wear kakhis.

            Sorry for rambling on...I am just a bit excited. =)

            Thanks again!

            -Sara.

          • Talrath von Eifel
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 5, 2002
              as to altreing the dress to accomodate breast feading, i feel that because
              it so simple that someone some where must have done it at one point in time
              or another. but that is my theory on period garb. there are many out ther
              who might disagree with me though.
              on an unrelated note happy fourth of july every one even though that it is
              technicaly the fith as i am writing this.

              >From: "The Byks" <thebyks@...>
              >To: <scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com>
              >Subject: RE: [SCA Newcomers] Brand new & a question!
              >Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 23:29:53 -0400
              >
              >Just wanted to say thank you, everyone! It is a huge relief to hear that
              >our stroller should not be a problem. :) I WILL be wearing our Mayawrap
              >babysling as well. Thanks for the reminder!
              >
              >Covering the stroller with a sheet is a good idea. It will give the kids
              >more shade, too!
              >
              >I had already cut out & sewn my 13 month old's tunic before I read the post
              >about cutting the ribbing off a t-shirt -- what a great idea! For my 2 1/2
              >year old, I dyed one of my husband's too-small undershirts with tea & got
              >it
              >a nice tan color. Then I covered the ribbing with navy 1/2" bias tape. A
              >length of the same tape tied around his waist for a belt, and viola! He is
              >adorable in it, if I do say so myself! :)
              >
              >For my own tunic-dress I cut a slit down the front made 2" bias tape to go
              >around the neck and up and down the slit. I will cut small holes & thread
              >cord through them to lace the front up...I have no idea if this is
              >authentic
              >or not but I needed some kind of access to be able to nurse the baby & that
              >was the easiest way I could think of. I am doing all of this by hand so
              >easy is good! :) I think I am going to cheat and just glue the skirt's
              >hem
              >tho...
              >
              >My husband decided he would come with me and the boys on Friday night! He
              >already has several shirts from various ren fests but he doesn't have any
              >pants. I have a pair of tan knit pants that I could put elastic through
              >the
              >hems in the legs so he could balloon them out a bit - if I can convince him
              >to wear women's pants! Otherwise he will just have to wear kakhis.
              >
              >Sorry for rambling on...I am just a bit excited. =)
              >
              >Thanks again!
              >
              >-Sara.

            • annette marchant
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 5, 2002
                I hope you have fun Sara! I lucked out, my four year old son likes to play
                dress up, so we used Captain Hook, Peter Pan and Robin Hood (even an Anikan
                Skywalker, without the mask!) costumes a lot. But the easiest was oversized
                tshirts with the ribbing cut off. I know you will have fun! Another
                reminder, take warm things for sleeping at night. The first event I went to
                in June it was freezing at night (90 degreess during the day!) so we wore
                all the clothes we bought and were still cold. I wish I had had blanket
                sleepers for the boys at night (not period I know but cold cranky children
                aren't fun!)
                Annette Marchant
                SAHM to Spencer 4-14-98
                and Parker 9-27-00