Re: [SCA Newcomers] Brand new & a question!

  • annette marchant
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 3, 2002
      I attended my first event in July. It was actually a Renn Faire. I have one
      that just turned four and one that is almost 2. I used a stroller for most
      of the weekend. It was just easier to keep track of them in the crowd. No
      one said a thing about it. I do know that a baby sling is period, so maybe
      think of that for later events. I will say that everyone fawned over the
      kids. They wore large black tshirts with the neck and sleeves cut and celtic
      looking trim added. Spencer also wore Robin Hood type outfits and loved it!
      He can't wait to go back. Just FYI, the stroller is nice because you can
      stash all those "kids" things you'll need (diapers, bottles) Take lots of
      water. The events seem to be hot and when you are wearing lots of dark
      clothes, you'll need it! Good luck!
      Annette Marchant
      SAHM to Spencer 4-14-98
      and Parker 9-27-00
      Rabid Scrapbooker
      CTMH Consultant
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 3, 2002
        We had a person this weekend with a double stroller. I don't see anything wrong with it myself--to me it's more important that you are comfortable, then to have to be truly authentic.

        I camped in a dome 10'x10' tent this weekend to keep the bugs away.

        Smiles.

        That wasn't too authentic but it was good for me! :)

        The only ones who will complain will be the ones without kids, trust me!

        Dee
        Milady Mary Henline, Alderford, Middle Kingdom
        I am Sara, a stay-at-home-mother to 2 boys under age 3. I am interested in
        joining SCA to get me out of the house & hopefully make some friends & have
        some fun. I have not yet been to a meeting.

        I've been invited to my local group's event this weekend but I would have to
        take the boys and I would need our double stroller or some equivilant. I
        have nerve damage to one arm and am not able to carry/hold them both, and my
        13 month old does not walk well enough to toddle after me while I carry his
        brother.

        Any ideas?? I don't have a wagon or the funds to go buy one before the
        weekend. It is a bicycle-trailor style stroller with bright primary colors.
        I do have a single stroller which is slightly less garish...it is navy and
        white.

        Is it all right for a newbie to show up with such a thing at an event? I
        can at least have the 3 of us dressed in T-tunics...

        Thank you!

        -Sara.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Jane Allard Gray
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 3, 2002
          > > Is it all right for a newbie to show up with such
          > a thing at an event? I
          > > can at least have the 3 of us dressed in
          > T-tunics...

          Absolutely it's alright! I think there is a lot of
          leniency where kids are concerned, so don't even worry
          about taking along modern toys for them to play with.
          I saw some young boys playing with Hot Wheels at the
          last event I went to. Go and have fun and do what you
          need to to keep the kids happy.

          Jane

          http://sbc.yahoo.com
        • Mayra Figueras
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 3, 2002
            The Byks wrote:

            > Is it all right for a newbie to show up with such a thing at an event? I
            > can at least have the 3 of us dressed in T-tunics...

            Sarah, have no idea where you are but from my experience, no one will say a word
            to you about the stroller. We do what we can. My mantra is "reasonable
            attempt." Go take your boys in their stroller and T-tunics and have a wonderful
            time! I would do the same things if my babies (now 16, 14, and 12) were the
            same age. Take pictures, make memories, make friends and have a good time! If
            it is an outdoor event make sure to take your sun block and plenty of water!
            Welcome! Welcome from one newbie to another, I've been in a whole whopping 6
            months myself! Going to my Newcomers meeting tonight to select a surname for
            myself and get an idea for a device. 14 y/o daughter also going to select her
            names as well (she has a dual persona, escaped novice from a convent
            masquerading as a boy to avoid capture!)

            Again enjoy, enjoy.

            --
            Madelena
            (mka Mayra Hidalgo-Figueras)
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 4, 2002
              Just wanted to say thank you, everyone! It is a huge relief to hear that
              our stroller should not be a problem. :) I WILL be wearing our Mayawrap
              babysling as well. Thanks for the reminder!

              Covering the stroller with a sheet is a good idea. It will give the kids
              more shade, too!

              I had already cut out & sewn my 13 month old's tunic before I read the post
              about cutting the ribbing off a t-shirt -- what a great idea! For my 2 1/2
              year old, I dyed one of my husband's too-small undershirts with tea & got it
              a nice tan color. Then I covered the ribbing with navy 1/2" bias tape. A
              length of the same tape tied around his waist for a belt, and viola! He is
              adorable in it, if I do say so myself! :)

              For my own tunic-dress I cut a slit down the front made 2" bias tape to go
              around the neck and up and down the slit. I will cut small holes & thread a
              cord through them to lace the front up...I have no idea if this is authentic
              or not but I needed some kind of access to be able to nurse the baby & that
              was the easiest way I could think of. I am doing all of this by hand so
              easy is good! :) I think I am going to cheat and just glue the skirt's hem
              tho...

              My husband decided he would come with me and the boys on Friday night! He
              already has several shirts from various ren fests but he doesn't have any
              pants. I have a pair of tan knit pants that I could put elastic through the
              hems in the legs so he could balloon them out a bit - if I can convince him
              to wear women's pants! Otherwise he will just have to wear kakhis.

              Sorry for rambling on...I am just a bit excited. =)

              Thanks again!

              -Sara.

            • Talrath von Eifel
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 5, 2002
                as to altreing the dress to accomodate breast feading, i feel that because
                it so simple that someone some where must have done it at one point in time
                or another. but that is my theory on period garb. there are many out ther
                who might disagree with me though.
                on an unrelated note happy fourth of july every one even though that it is
                technicaly the fith as i am writing this.

                >From: "The Byks" <thebyks@...>
                >To: <scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com>
                >Subject: RE: [SCA Newcomers] Brand new & a question!
                >Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 23:29:53 -0400
                >
                >Just wanted to say thank you, everyone! It is a huge relief to hear that
                >our stroller should not be a problem. :) I WILL be wearing our Mayawrap
                >babysling as well. Thanks for the reminder!
                >
                >Covering the stroller with a sheet is a good idea. It will give the kids
                >more shade, too!
                >
                >I had already cut out & sewn my 13 month old's tunic before I read the post
                >about cutting the ribbing off a t-shirt -- what a great idea! For my 2 1/2
                >year old, I dyed one of my husband's too-small undershirts with tea & got
                >it
                >a nice tan color. Then I covered the ribbing with navy 1/2" bias tape. A
                >length of the same tape tied around his waist for a belt, and viola! He is
                >adorable in it, if I do say so myself! :)
                >
                >For my own tunic-dress I cut a slit down the front made 2" bias tape to go
                >around the neck and up and down the slit. I will cut small holes & thread
                >cord through them to lace the front up...I have no idea if this is
                >authentic
                >or not but I needed some kind of access to be able to nurse the baby & that
                >was the easiest way I could think of. I am doing all of this by hand so
                >easy is good! :) I think I am going to cheat and just glue the skirt's
                >hem
                >tho...
                >
                >My husband decided he would come with me and the boys on Friday night! He
                >already has several shirts from various ren fests but he doesn't have any
                >pants. I have a pair of tan knit pants that I could put elastic through
                >the
                >hems in the legs so he could balloon them out a bit - if I can convince him
                >to wear women's pants! Otherwise he will just have to wear kakhis.
                >
                >Sorry for rambling on...I am just a bit excited. =)
                >
                >Thanks again!
                >
                >-Sara.

              • annette marchant
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 5, 2002
                  I hope you have fun Sara! I lucked out, my four year old son likes to play
                  dress up, so we used Captain Hook, Peter Pan and Robin Hood (even an Anikan
                  Skywalker, without the mask!) costumes a lot. But the easiest was oversized
                  tshirts with the ribbing cut off. I know you will have fun! Another
                  reminder, take warm things for sleeping at night. The first event I went to
                  in June it was freezing at night (90 degreess during the day!) so we wore
                  all the clothes we bought and were still cold. I wish I had had blanket
                  sleepers for the boys at night (not period I know but cold cranky children
                  aren't fun!)
                  Annette Marchant
                  SAHM to Spencer 4-14-98
                  and Parker 9-27-00