An Event?? An Honest-to-Pete Event??

  • ladybrookemont
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 27, 2002
      OK, don't laugh too hard at the newbie, but it turns out that my
      shire, with whom I have been unable to keep up, is having a 3-dayer
      not far from here, and a true and trusted gentle has offered a ride
      and crash-space in his tent. Food I have none, I'm working on
      it....my igloo cooler is the "2 Pepsi-can size", as I am a single
      person. Suggestions???

      I have my own sleeping bag, pillow, a blankie made of wool on one
      side and fleece on the other, "period" brown sandals, the basics of
      feaste gear (2 silver forks-spoons-rounded knives and a few other
      things), a long nightshirt for sleepwear (no chemise as yet) and two
      willing hands to be water-bearer or whatever is needed once on Site.

      I will have to be dependent upon others for loaner garb, but even
      that has been promised, and I have plenty of '60's jewelry to add,
      plus some new crosses I have recently made myself at a local bead
      shop!

      I HAVE to say that the tips I have picked up from this group in just
      the last few posts have been INVALUABLE!!! THANK YOU!!!

      And I will humbly and thankfully accept any and all prayers and good
      wishes for the safety of all fighters and participants, and will let
      you all know how it went next week.....

      Hugs,
      Liza of Oregon.
    • fallen angel
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 27, 2002
        *giggles* your post reminds me just HOW excited i was to go to my 1st event....remember rule numero UNO.............HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

        Heather

        ladybrookemont <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
[...]

        "If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off...."

        "Your village called, their idiot's missing..."

      • katfletcher
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 28, 2002
          Laugh? Never! Maybe a cheerful giggle, but never so much as a chortle!
          Glad to hear that this place and the people are helpful, that is what
          we are here for and it is nice to get the positive feedback.

          Sounds like you have some excellent plans in hand. Remember all the
          basic personal stuff too, such as sunscreen and a small packet of
          basic over the counter medicines. You might want a broad brim straw
          hat if you have one. As for food, consider a sealed bag with some
          breakfast bars, trail mix, gorp, stuff that doesn't require
          refrigeration, for breakfasts and lunches.
          Will there be a feast of some kind? That would cover your suppers.
          Otherwise, consider some of the instant tuna salad kits or the tins
          of meat that don't nead refrigeration and a loaf of bread? Don't try
          to keep leftovers, just start out with smaller tins, enough for one
          meal.
          I presume you will sort out the peace symbols and smiley faces from
          the jewelrey? ;)
          Have a great time, I look forward to your report!!
          Kathryn

          --- In scanewcomers@y..., ladybrookemont <no_reply@y...> wrote:

          > OK, don't laugh too hard at the newbie, but it turns out that my
          > shire, with whom I have been unable to keep up, is having a 3-dayer
          > not far from here, and a true and trusted gentle has offered a ride
          > and crash-space in his tent. Food I have none, I'm working on
          > it....my igloo cooler is the "2 Pepsi-can size", as I am a single
          > person. Suggestions???
          >
          > I have my own sleeping bag, pillow, a blankie made of wool on one
          > side and fleece on the other, "period" brown sandals, the basics of
          > feaste gear (2 silver forks-spoons-rounded knives and a few other
          > things), a long nightshirt for sleepwear (no chemise as yet) and
          two
          > willing hands to be water-bearer or whatever is needed once on Site.
          >
          > I will have to be dependent upon others for loaner garb, but even
          > that has been promised, and I have plenty of '60's jewelry to add,
          > plus some new crosses I have recently made myself at a local bead
          > shop!
          >
          > I HAVE to say that the tips I have picked up from this group in
          just
          > the last few posts have been INVALUABLE!!! THANK YOU!!!
          >
          > And I will humbly and thankfully accept any and all prayers and
          good
          > wishes for the safety of all fighters and participants, and will
          let
          > you all know how it went next week.....
          >
          > Hugs,
          > Liza of Oregon.
        • ladybrookemont
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 3 8:03 PM
            Hello!

            My first event was wonderful......I learned, first and foremost, how
            to set up in a downpour, and no, I don't mean an Irishman's "soft
            day", either, but now I can say I've done it......I watched an
            archery competition, some heavy fighters and some pirate rapier
            melees, a bardic, and learned how to play Bocci, though no scores
            were kept. I have no interest in Tablero, not being a drinker, so
            some of the time was spent just wandering and meeting folk.....only
            about 65 stayed full-time; being so close to town and only a local
            Shire event others day-tripped or just stayed home, though the rain
            quit over Friday night and it turned quite nice.

            My garb was a knee-length T-tunic over jeans with my sandals
            and "period" gold-and-black-enamel earrings and a rounded-edged
            silver cross on a long satin string (yes, they clash, but they looked
            good) and also a scarf tied loosely about my waist as a sash. Oh,
            yes, and an original '60's mood ring which fit on my left index
            finger and looked ok, as well. No peace signs or smiley faces (lol),
            but nice to know my mom's jewelry can be put to a new use! Lots of
            chains and beaded necklaces and such for whatever colors I end up
            with for my next event. No weapon or feast dagger to wear at my
            waist as yet, but I'm looking for a nice short one.

            Food was fruit, bottled water, 3 pbj's (peanut butter and jelly's),
            some extra bread, a Hickory Farms beefstick and some chocolate.
            Never once thought of homemade trail mix or cans of Dinty Moore beef
            stew....there was a food merchant, but $5 for a small styrofoam bowl
            of stew is not justifiable to me......there was no "feast" per se nor
            what I understand is a fairly common "stone soup" gathering, due to
            the rain and low attendance, so some of what I brought was excess
            baggage, but now I have a much better idea of what events are
            actually like, and will (one hopes!) be more relaxed next time.

            And do forgive the exhaustive detailing, I guess I just wanted to
            encourage others to NOT WORRY ABOUT BEING PERFECT YOUR FIRST TIME
            OUT, just do your best and have fun with it, or why are you there?

            Thanks again for all of the encouragement, and to all of you going to
            AnTir West War in Yreka (pron. WHY-reeka), Northern Calif. this
            weekend (or indeed to any other event anywhere), BE SAFE!!

            Hugs,
            Liza.
          • katfletcher
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 4 8:34 AM
              Dear Liza,

              Wonderful to hear things went well! Sounds like you planned things
              out and then went with the flow, the perfect way!
              And did you have to mention that the jewelry was your mothers? I have
              stuff like that and it is my own! Sheesh, I really am getting old!! ;)
              Kathryn