Re: [SCA Newcomers] Feast ware Question

  • Juliana Foxcroft
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 23, 2002
      Greetings! My first big event was the Crown Tourney held in January of this
      year here in Calontir. Coronation is a wonderful experience and I'm sure
      you'll enjoy it.

      We have seen all types of feast gear since we joined, from ceramic to wood
      to pewter. Ours are simple ceramic plates we picked up in thrift stores,
      and we've collected antique three-tine forks, the round-bowled spoons, and
      old knives to use as daggers. For now we have some earthenware cups that we
      picked up in an antique store. We hope eventually to replace the whole set
      with pewter. Many people bring their own table cloths, candles, etc., and
      there is often a "washing station" set up where you can at least rinse off
      your gear before wrapping it in your table cloth to take home. We found a
      great basket at Hobby Lobby, it is steel framed with handles connected into
      the steel frame and has a lid that latches closed; it is just big enough to
      carry feast gear for the five of us plus an extra set in case someone needs
      some loaner gear. I have also seen people use cloth bags and one lady even
      had special pockets sewn in for all her forks, knives, etc. to slide into,
      but the picnic type baskets (the kind with the solid wood, hinged lid) seem
      to be the most popular.

      Have a wonderful time at your Coronation event!

      Juliana

      >Good day to all
      >
      >I have almost finished my new garb, (to wear to the first Lochac
      >Coronation), and am wondering what exactly to take for the feast.
      >I have a lovely carved goblet and plate but not sure what to take
      >them in. Is a cloth bag appropiate? Is a cloth napkin period? I
      >figured I could wrap the dirty cutlery etc in it to take home.
      >
      >I am SOOOO looking forward to it all. My first BIG event. I put the
      >finishing touches to my beautiful gabled hat last night. (I already
      >have requests from 2 friends to make them one)and just need to hem
      >the main gown. SOOOO EXCITING onlt 12 days to go
      >
      >Eyrika

    • Mayra Figueras
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 27, 2002
        fallen angel wrote:

        > How much do I love EBAY???????? I've gotten my entire feastware set for under $50

        I've done pretty well with Ebay myself. Have not gotten candlesticks yet and now that you mention it, I really do don't I?! I think you missed mentioning some sort of pitcher or decanter to hold your drink as well. I acquired a couple of silver plate charges, 2 silver napkin rings, 2 silver goblets that are to die for, and some wooden bowls although I am on the look out for their silver counterparts. My problem is proving to be the
        silverware....finding period forks is not easy! May just give up and go with mundane silverware. I have a wicker picnic basket with a hinged lid that I got when I was first married 17 years ago....would that work to schlep my feast gear? I'm also planning on making a tablecloth and matching napkins. Have not been to a "feast" yet so have not needed to use my feast gear. Curses! I'm sure that will change with time though. But yes...Ebay
        has been a great place to find my feast gear! As well as other assorted fabrics, baubles and trinkets and books galore! I just landed some gold metallic woven/embroided fabric that will pass for "cloth of gold" I see sideless surcoat here! Ebay is a very dangerous place for me. LOL

        Madelena
        (mka Mayra Hidalgo-Figueras)
        Kingdom of Caid, Shire of Heatherwyne
        Ontario, California
        AIM: ToHelnBak1
        MSN: paintnnmy@...
        Yahoo: ohmy719
        ICQ: 110646025
      • chemistbb3
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 27, 2002
          Try resturant supply places for 3 tine forks. I got some at a Pier 1
          close out once.

          William

          --- In scanewcomers@y..., Mayra Figueras <medievalmom@a...> wrote:

          > fallen angel wrote:
          >
          > > How much do I love EBAY???????? I've gotten my entire
          feastware set for under $50

          > I've done pretty well with Ebay myself. Have not gotten
          candlesticks yet and now that you mention it, I really do don't I?!
          I think you missed mentioning some sort of pitcher or decanter to
          hold your drink as well. I acquired a couple of silver plate charges,
          2 silver napkin rings, 2 silver goblets that are to die for, and some
          wooden bowls although I am on the look out for their silver
          counterparts. My problem is proving to be the
          > silverware....finding period forks is not easy! May just give up
          and go with mundane silverware. I have a wicker picnic basket with a
          hinged lid that I got when I was first married 17 years ago....would
          that work to schlep my feast gear? I'm also planning on making a
          tablecloth and matching napkins. Have not been to a "feast" yet so
          have not needed to use my feast gear. Curses! I'm sure that will
          change with time though. But yes...Ebay
          > has been a great place to find my feast gear! As well as other
          assorted fabrics, baubles and trinkets and books galore! I just
          landed some gold metallic woven/embroided fabric that will pass
          for "cloth of gold" I see sideless surcoat here! Ebay is a very
          dangerous place for me. LOL

          > Madelena
          > (mka Mayra Hidalgo-Figueras)
          > Kingdom of Caid, Shire of Heatherwyne
          > Ontario, California
          > AIM: ToHelnBak1
          > MSN: paintnnmy@h...
          > Yahoo: ohmy719
          > ICQ: 110646025
        • SISTER FIRE
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 1, 2002
            WE HAVE BEEN TALKING ABOUT FEASTWARE....I WOULD LIKE TO ASK IF ANYONE COULD, UPLOAD PICTURES OF THEIR FEAST WARE. I HAVE MY MUGS ON FILE I THINK.