Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: What would you want?

  • Talrath von Eifel
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 6, 2002
      as a newcommer i know that this quite unrealistic but a decent set of
      "starter set" of armor i am currently waiting on my first set (fortunatly my
      armorer is my best friend and is giving it to me pro bono" but a helm,
      gambeson, elbow cops, and knee cops would be great for some one who is still
      using thier barony/shire/households/ loaner gear. but barring that rule
      books would be excelent

      >From: kimmjordan <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
      >To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Re: What would you want?
      >Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 20:33:49 -0000
      >
      >As a newcomer planning on attending my first Pennsic this year, here
      >are some generic-type items I'd be interested in:
      >
      >- Known World Handbook
      >- Garb or perhaps a "gift certificate" for garb
      >- Feast basket and/or gear
      >- Basket or belt pouch
      >
      >Basically, just about anything period that could replace a modern item
      >that a newbie isn't likely to have gotten around to yet. Period
      >equivalents of tote bags or water bottles, or maybe a lantern to
      >replace a flashlight, or perhaps something artistic that could lend to
      >the atmosphere of a camp or tent. I don't have a lot of specific
      >ideas here, since I'm not very clear on what the period equivalents of
      >some of these items might be, but hopefully this will spark some ideas
      >for those of you who do know!
      >
      >Cassandra Arabella Giordano
      >
      >--- In scanewcomers@y..., Irene leNoir <irene@l...> wrote:
      > > Hello Everyone,
      > >
      > > As part of the Newcomers Point Activities for the upcoming Pennsic
      > > War, we will once again be offering a "Newcomers Quest". Last year
      > > the prize was a copy of the Known World Handbook. This year, I'm
      > > looking for ideas for other possible prizes.
      > >
      > > If you were to win, would you want the Known World Handbook? Or is
      > > there some other item that you think would make a cool prize?
      > >

      > > Maitresse Irene leNoir
      > > Pennsic 31 Newcomers Point Coordinator
      > > newcomers@p...

    • njal_tjorkilsson
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 6, 2002
        Well, there is always e-bay, which always has some armor bits for
        sale. The armor archive (link is in the links section, I don't know
        it offhand) is a good resource. Then there are generally folks who
        have small armories and patterns and such who will probably be local
        to you; check around your fighter practice wherever you are. Folks
        will know how or know who knows how locally.

        Gambesons are fairly simple: use a moving blanket or other some such
        quilted material and make a long vest and separate arms that attach
        only at the shoulder point (open armpits).

        Knees and elbows: you can use plastic or leather over construction
        grade kneepads (see the hardware store for these).

        I can draw up some rough patters for these if you'd like.

        Helm? check ebay or the armor archive.
        You should be able to score a decent one for less than $200.

        Hope this is helpful.

        In Omnia Veritas
        Njall Tjorkilsson, KSCA