Re: What would you want?

  • kimmjordan
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 6, 2002
      As a newcomer planning on attending my first Pennsic this year, here
      are some generic-type items I'd be interested in:

      - Known World Handbook
      - Garb or perhaps a "gift certificate" for garb
      - Feast basket and/or gear
      - Basket or belt pouch

      Basically, just about anything period that could replace a modern item
      that a newbie isn't likely to have gotten around to yet. Period
      equivalents of tote bags or water bottles, or maybe a lantern to
      replace a flashlight, or perhaps something artistic that could lend to
      the atmosphere of a camp or tent. I don't have a lot of specific
      ideas here, since I'm not very clear on what the period equivalents of
      some of these items might be, but hopefully this will spark some ideas
      for those of you who do know!

      Cassandra Arabella Giordano

      --- In scanewcomers@y..., Irene leNoir <irene@l...> wrote:
      > Hello Everyone,
      >
      > As part of the Newcomers Point Activities for the upcoming Pennsic
      > War, we will once again be offering a "Newcomers Quest". Last year
      > the prize was a copy of the Known World Handbook. This year, I'm
      > looking for ideas for other possible prizes.
      >
      > If you were to win, would you want the Known World Handbook? Or is
      > there some other item that you think would make a cool prize?
      >

      > Maitresse Irene leNoir
      > Pennsic 31 Newcomers Point Coordinator
      > newcomers@p...
    • njal_tjorkilsson
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 6, 2002
        One of the things i've learned in the SCA has been the subtle art of
        camoflauge: draped fabric over non-period chairs, coolers, water
        bottles, etc.
        Aside from that I am an avid shopper of goodwill/ st. vinnies, etc.
        This covers a lot in the area of cheap coverings and feast gear,
        baskets, etc.

        If you can't afford period stuff, cover it up. Generally only the
        effort will be noticed.

        Then there are also Oseburg lamps (essentially a shield boss/ bowl
        welded to a long steel pole which holds burning parafin.)

        On a cheaper route, tiki torches work well.

        In Omnia Veritas
        Njall Tjorkilsson, KSCA

        --- In scanewcomers@y..., kimmjordan <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > As a newcomer planning on attending my first Pennsic this year,
        here
        > are some generic-type items I'd be interested in:
        >
        > - Known World Handbook
        > - Garb or perhaps a "gift certificate" for garb
        > - Feast basket and/or gear
        > - Basket or belt pouch
      • dontwait4themessiah
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 7, 2002
          When you come to the SCA, you learn quite quickly how to become an op-
          shop vulture :)

          Morag.