Music

  • D Dreessen
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 5, 2002
      In my Shire, Shire Greyhope, (NW Indiana) we have a music Laurel. Mistress
      Theodorea von Ingelheim. I don't now much of her current activities, but she
      and her students do play at Jubilee every year and at the Bristol Ren-Faire,
      I believe.

      Ehrenfried

    • katfletcher
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 5, 2002
        Oh, yes! Some of us here in Jararvellir (Madison, WI) are very
        familiar with Theodora. She used to reside here and play with our
        famed Music Guild. Theodora of the Hedgehogs and Terriers.
        Kathryn

        --- In scanewcomers@y..., "D Dreessen" <lord_ehren@h...> wrote:
        > In my Shire, Shire Greyhope, (NW Indiana) we have a music Laurel.
        Mistress
        > Theodorea von Ingelheim. I don't now much of her current
        activities, but she
        > and her students do play at Jubilee every year and at the Bristol
        Ren-Faire,
        > I believe.
        >
        > Ehrenfried

      • modanogrrrl
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 27, 2002
          Greetings and salutations!

          I am thinking of pursuing music in the SCA and have considered the
          recorder. I played flute in school from the 5th grade until I
          graduated, and played the recorder in the 4th grade (as well as
          tooling around with my sibling's when she began playing). I know the
          modern recorder is similar to the renaissance recorder, so would it
          be feasable to buy a modern one to play? I want a nice wooden one,
          and actually found one that is easy on my wallet.....

          My many thanks.....

          Christian Elizabeta Barbier
        • Justinos Tekton called Justin
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 28, 2002
            On Saturday 28 September 2002 01:21, modanogrrrl wrote:
            > I am thinking of pursuing music in the SCA and have considered the
            > recorder. I played flute in school from the 5th grade until I
            > graduated, and played the recorder in the 4th grade (as well as
            > tooling around with my sibling's when she began playing). I know the
            > modern recorder is similar to the renaissance recorder, so would it
            > be feasable to buy a modern one to play? I want a nice wooden one,
            > and actually found one that is easy on my wallet.....

            Suggestion: Start with a plastic one, rather than wooden, while you are
            learning. There are plastic recorders that are not overtly modern in
            appearance, because the plastic looks something like carved bone. In any
            case, they are considered acceptable in most SCA venues, especially if
            you are not formally "giving a concert." The advantage of the plastic is
            that they don't crack, swell, and shrink at outdoor events with hot, cold,
            or damp weather.

            I have two Yamaha recorders (tenor and alto) and one soprano whose brand
            I can't recall. All are plastic, and no one has ever remarked on their
            non-periodness. You can also very easily make a period-style cloth case
            for them to replace the zippered plastic cases that come with them.

            The wooden ones are nice, and the sound is slightly "warmer" than the
            plastic, but the playing technique is the same. I have one wooden recorder,
            which my mother gave me as unrepairable and which, of course, I repaired. :-)

            Maistor Justinos Tekton called Justin, Publisher and Webmaster
            SCAtoday.net -- Your independent source for news of the Current Middle Ages

            justin@... http://scatoday.net/
          • modanogrrrl
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 28, 2002
              My many thanks to you, sir.....

              Christian Elizabeta Barbier

              --- In scanewcomers@y..., Justinos Tekton called Justin <justin@4...>

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 28, 2002
                On Saturday 28 September 2002 17:49, modanogrrrl wrote:
                > My many thanks to you, sir.....
                >
                > Christian Elizabeta Barbier

                By the way, M'Lady, if you are getting a really good price on the wooden
                recorder, you might still want to go ahead and buy it. I'm not saying this
                purchase is a bad idea, but rather that you may find the plastic ones are
                more practical as a learner, especially for outdoor events. But there's also
                no reason not to have both. :-)

                I'm sorry if I unintentionally implied otherwise in my previous post.

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 28, 2002
                  I actually considered the plastic one first, as the price was indeed
                  lower and I am a beginner. I will more than likely purchase botha nd
                  keep the wooden one for the special occassions.....

                  Again, my many thanks to you......

                  wrote:
                  > On Saturday 28 September 2002 17:49, modanogrrrl wrote:
                  > > My many thanks to you, sir.....
                  > >
                  > > Christian Elizabeta Barbier
                  >
                  > By the way, M'Lady, if you are getting a really good price on the
                  wooden
                  > recorder, you might still want to go ahead and buy it. I'm not
                  saying this
                  > purchase is a bad idea, but rather that you may find the plastic
                  ones are
                  > more practical as a learner, especially for outdoor events. But
                  there's also
                  > no reason not to have both. :-)
                  >
                  > I'm sorry if I unintentionally implied otherwise in my previous
                  post.

                  > Justin
                  >
                  > --
                  > ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::> <::::::::::::::::::[]
                  xxxx()

                  > Maistor Justinos Tekton called Justin, Publisher and Webmaster
                  > SCAtoday.net -- Your independent source for news of the Current
                  Middle Ages

                  > justin@4... http://scatoday.net/
                  > PGP Public Key at http://4th.com/keys/justin.pubkey
                • Tina Paxton
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 29, 2002
                    One of the things I've always wanted to do was learn
                    the delcimer....I recently discovered on the SCA A&S
                    page that delcimer's are actually period! Yeah! But,
                    that is a "down the road" item. I'm forcing myself to
                    keep my area of focus narrow so that I really learn
                    the skills rather than dabble in many. I have a
                    habit.... Anyway, right now I'm focusing on the
                    fibrearts but later will definitely take up the
                    delcimer....love that sound!

                    --- modanogrrrl <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                    > Greetings and salutations!
                    >
                    > I am thinking of pursuing music in the SCA and have
                    > considered the
                    > recorder. I played flute in school from the 5th
                    > grade until I
                    > graduated, and played the recorder in the 4th grade
                    > (as well as
                    > tooling around with my sibling's when she began
                    > playing). I know the
                    > modern recorder is similar to the renaissance
                    > recorder, so would it
                    > be feasable to buy a modern one to play? I want a
                    > nice wooden one,
                    > and actually found one that is easy on my
                    > wallet.....
                    >
                    > My many thanks.....
                    >
                    > Christian Elizabeta Barbier

                    =====
                    Tina (read my blog: http://tinasfiberadventures.blogspot.com/)

                    "She looks for wool and flax And works with her hands in delight. She considers a field and buys it; From her earnings she plants a vineyard. She stretches out her hands to the distaff, And her hands grasp the spindle. She extends her hand to the poor, And she stretches out her hands to the needy. She looks well to the ways of her household, And does not eat the bread of idleness.

                    http://sbc.yahoo.com