Re: [SCA Newcomers] From the Kingdom of AnTir...

  • gillins
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2002
      Mary Clare,

      Welcome to the greatest game in the world.

      To answer your question about what a huscarl is...

      There is a certain similarity between huscarls and squires, in that
      the knight or noble swears to train, protect, etc., both. but a
      huscarl is more of a personal bodyguard, a soldier as well as a
      student.

      Normally, within the SCA, knights take on several squires, but at any
      given time, only have one huscarl. Some see being a huscarl as a step
      prior to being a squire, others see being a huscarl as the greater
      honor.

      For me, being a huscarl to Sir Njall is one of the greatest honors I
      could ever receive, as he is not only a good Knight, but also a great
      friend, as I'm sure many can tell you.

      For a more in-depth explanation of huscarls, see:
      http://www.regia.org/huscarl.htm

      For all intents and purposes, the definition we use is of the
      English, or Anglo-Saxon huscarl.

      Thanks for asking, I'm sure a lot of people are curious about that,
      as was I.

      Lord Earnan

      --- In scanewcomers@y..., Angel Pippin <mary_therese2000@y...> wrote:

      > Lord Earnan MacKay,
      >
      > I am relatively new to the society, and I have a question for you.
      What in the world is a "huscarl"? Is it like being a squire?