Re: [SCA Newcomers] From the Kingdom of AnTir...

  • Angel Pippin
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2002
      Lord Earnan MacKay,

      I am relatively new to the society, and I have a question for you. What in the world is a "huscarl"? Is it like being a squire?

      Thank you for your consideration.

      Your little servant,

      Mary Clare of the Poor Ladies

    • gillins
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3, 2002
        Mary Clare,

        Welcome to the greatest game in the world.

        To answer your question about what a huscarl is...

        There is a certain similarity between huscarls and squires, in that
        the knight or noble swears to train, protect, etc., both. but a
        huscarl is more of a personal bodyguard, a soldier as well as a
        student.

        Normally, within the SCA, knights take on several squires, but at any
        given time, only have one huscarl. Some see being a huscarl as a step
        prior to being a squire, others see being a huscarl as the greater
        honor.

        For me, being a huscarl to Sir Njall is one of the greatest honors I
        could ever receive, as he is not only a good Knight, but also a great
        friend, as I'm sure many can tell you.

        For a more in-depth explanation of huscarls, see:
        http://www.regia.org/huscarl.htm

        For all intents and purposes, the definition we use is of the
        English, or Anglo-Saxon huscarl.

        Thanks for asking, I'm sure a lot of people are curious about that,
        as was I.

        Lord Earnan