From the Kingdom of AnTir...

  • gillins
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2002
      Greetings all,

      It has been a long while since I posted here, so I thought I would
      give you an update of the happenings here.

      Sir Njall, a founder of this group, has return to us from Midrealm,
      where he lived for several months, during which time he was Knighted.

      It is exciting to see posts regularly from brand new people. The
      dream is alive and growing.

      The Tourney season is in full swing here, as I'm sure it is in other
      parts of the Known World.

      3 weeks ago we had our Crown Tournament, and crowned a new Prince and
      Princess, who will become the next King and Queen in July.

      The following weekend was Egil Skallagrimsson's Memorial Tourney, in
      which I fought in the Novice Tourney, and Sir Njall fought in the
      Holmgang (read "bearpit") Tourney. Sir Njall had a broken finger from
      fighter practice the previous Weds, but chose to fight anyway. He did
      very well, up until another fighter hit him...right on his broken
      finger. Also during that weekend, Sir Njall called me to his
      presence within the Norse village Bjornvin. The Prince of the Summits
      was in attendance, as were several other nobles. Sir Njall began
      reading a scroll, and asked me to become his Huscarl, something which
      I wanted to do, but maybe NEXT year. I accepted, and entered into a
      Contract of Fealty with Sir Njall Tjorkillson, Knight of An Tir. My
      emotions cannot be put into words. What a great weekend. Then, in
      Sunday's Royal Court, I was called to the royal Presence, and was
      awarded Arms...holy cow...I've only been playing since last August.
      Somebody must like me...

      People, if there is someone you know who is doing good things, write
      a letter to the Crown, that is the only way they know who is doing
      what in their Kingdom.

      Anyway, enough of that. I hope all of you are excited about this
      season, and hope to see this group continue to grow.

      Yours in Service to the Dream,
      Lord Earnan MacKay
      Huscarl to Sir Njall
      Barony of Stromgard
      Kingdom of An Tir
    • Angel Pippin
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3, 2002
        Lord Earnan MacKay,

        I am relatively new to the society, and I have a question for you. What in the world is a "huscarl"? Is it like being a squire?

        Thank you for your consideration.

        Your little servant,

        Mary Clare of the Poor Ladies

      • gillins
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 3, 2002
          Mary Clare,

          Welcome to the greatest game in the world.

          To answer your question about what a huscarl is...

          There is a certain similarity between huscarls and squires, in that
          the knight or noble swears to train, protect, etc., both. but a
          huscarl is more of a personal bodyguard, a soldier as well as a
          student.

          Normally, within the SCA, knights take on several squires, but at any
          given time, only have one huscarl. Some see being a huscarl as a step
          prior to being a squire, others see being a huscarl as the greater
          honor.

          For me, being a huscarl to Sir Njall is one of the greatest honors I
          could ever receive, as he is not only a good Knight, but also a great
          friend, as I'm sure many can tell you.

          For a more in-depth explanation of huscarls, see:
          http://www.regia.org/huscarl.htm

          For all intents and purposes, the definition we use is of the
          English, or Anglo-Saxon huscarl.

          Thanks for asking, I'm sure a lot of people are curious about that,
          as was I.

          Lord Earnan