Greetings, Name question

  • davidmc24
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2002
      Total newbie here. How do I start choosing a name, and what do I do
      when I think I've chosen one?

      David Michael Carr
      Email: carrd@...
      AIM: davidmc24/Varzof
    • katfletcher
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2002
        Dear David,

        There are quite a few ways to go about the first half of your
        question.
        The second one is more defined in answer so I will tackle it first.
        You can either register it with the Society Herald if you would like
        or you can just use it. If you choose to register it (often referred
        to as "getting it passed") it is probably easiest to work with your
        local herald on filling out the paperwork. You will need to document
        that the elements of your name and the way it is put together
        are "period" meaning it is correct for the time and location you
        claim them to be. Those should be ones that are consistent with the
        practices of the Society. Nominally that means 600-1650, Northern
        Western Europe but in practice, you can pretty much pick any time up
        to 1650, anywhere on planet Earth! It just has to be "real." there
        are some great websites out there that can help with the
        documentation part or you can find a lot at your local library as I
        did long before the Web was so available! Talk to your herald about
        what documentation will qualify.
        So why get your name passed? For one thing, we are or rather claim to
        be interested in research and study. It can be quite interesting,
        soul-satisfying, and fun. And then the name is yours in the Society.
        No one else can get it passed. It is possible that someone else might
        use your name, it polite not to make a fuss about it, but it is your
        name and you can take private pride in it.

        Now about the first question. There is a rather chicken and egg
        aspect to it. Which comes first? Who do you want to be, where from,
        and when (your persona)? Perhaps there is something in your family
        history that interests you? Or there is a time and place that you
        have always liked. Or your good friends are all doing something in
        particular. If you don't have anything in particular in mind yet,
        give it some thought (but don't feel you will be locked in if you
        make a choice, you can change at any time or even use more than one.)

        I am partial to the Academy of St. Gabriel website. They have some
        terrific resources there and (one of the best parts!) an opinion
        letter from them about a name is sufficient documentation for the
        head Laurel if you decide to get your name passed!
        http://www.s-gabriel.org/

        There are some other great sources off of the main SCA web site
        too.http://www.sca.org/heraldry/welcome.html

        Most of the Kingdom webpages have some good resources too. You might
        try looking at your Kingdoms. If you need help locating that, let us
        know.

        Also, just try a web search on SCA heraldry and you will find all
        sorts of great sites!

        Hope this is a start. Let us know how it goes and we can try and help
        with more specific sources too. There are a ton of people here who
        have already worked in various areas who might be able to give you a
        headstart if you find something that interests you.
        Kathryn

        whose full name is Kathryn Fletcher of Shrewsbury, and who is a 12th
        century lady-in-waiting to her cousin, a minor English noblewoman.