Re: Hello indeed!

  • katfletcher
    Message 1 of 85 , May 31, 2002
      Greetings to Eilrika, Talrath and the other new members! We had quite
      a few join in the last couple of days!! (I get notified when you join
      or leave and it has been quite exciting lately.)

      Feel free to speak up and ask any SCA questions you like or just
      lurk. We have experienced people here from all around the known
      world, who love to help. If we don't know an answer, we will try to
      find out for you.
      Quite the rise in German personas! What no plain English to keep me
      company? ;)

      I wish I could get down to that Southern Regional Practice and Cooks
      Competion! What a great sounding event!!!

      If there is an event in your area, go ahead and post a short note
      about it. That is a great way for newer people in your area to
      connect up with us. Plus, you never know when someone might traveling
      down in your neck of the woods. Friends of mine had a great time
      going to some gatherings in the Southwest while on vacation not too
      long ago. Just make sure to include mundane location as well, the SCA
      has become quite large!

      About the point of "noble", the SCA considers everyone to have the
      status of a lower noble, as opposed to a peasant or merchant or upper
      nobility like Dukes or Princes. Then we can choose to play at
      different levels with our personas, except that you shouldn't pretend
      to be someone too high up if you haven't done something like actually
      be king or queen of one of the Kingdoms.
      We are all considered to lords or ladies with the lower case 'l' and
      would be properly addressed as My lord Humperdink or My lady
      Esmerelda. The simplest Society wide award is an Award or Arms or AoA
      as it is sometimes referred to. When you receive this award, you can
      now be addressed as Lord Humperdink or Lady Esmerelda with the upper
      case 'L'. A minor change but it is a great feeling when your name is
      called and they read out how much you have helped or what you have
      learned to do well!

      Time to get to sleep, hope everyone has a nice weekend!

      Kathryn who seems to have gone overboard with exclamation marks this
    • Stefan li Rous
      Message 85 of 85 , Nov 16 8:56 PM
        <<< I'm very new to the SCA . I just join friday and I would very much like info on what I should do next . Thank you. >>>

        Well, what interested you in the SCA? You like doing crafts things? You like the romance of the Middle Ages? You like to try to bash people with wooden clubs? You like to sew? With some idea of your interests we can probably point you to some info.

        Need a place to look through some information online? If so, you might wish to start with the files in the NEWCOMERS section of my Florilegium website at: http://www.florilegium.org There are a couple of dozen other subject areas and currently about 2300 different files there, so hopefully you will find some files of interest.

        Be careful though. Several people have told me about going there for a "quick look" at something and suddenly realizing they had been looking at stuff for an hour. :-)

        PS: And if you enjoy what's there, please click on an ad or two, so I can keep it going.