What would you want?

  • Irene leNoir
    Message 1 of 5 , May 29, 2002
      Hello Everyone,

      As part of the Newcomers Point Activities for teh upcoming Pennsic War,
      we will once again be offering a "Newcomers Quest". Last year the prize
      was a copy of the Known World Handbook. This year, I'm looking for ideas
      for other possible prizes.

      If you were to win, would you want the Known World Handbook? Or is there
      some other item that you think would make a cool prize?

      Maitresse Irene leNoir
      Pennsic 31 Newcomers Point Coordinator
      newcomers@...
    • katfletcher
      Message 2 of 5 , May 29, 2002
        Good Even my Lady!
        I am glad to hear this will be done again. It seemed to be well
        received last time.
        The Handbook is a great idea. Other posibilities might be a nice
        goblet or, if you could get a merchant to donate it, a cloak or other
        garb items. Garb seems to be something most new people are very
        interested in obtaining.
        Kathyrn

        --- In scanewcomers@y..., Irene leNoir <irene@l...> wrote:
        > Hello Everyone,
        >
        > As part of the Newcomers Point Activities for teh upcoming Pennsic
        War,
        > we will once again be offering a "Newcomers Quest". Last year the
        prize
        > was a copy of the Known World Handbook. This year, I'm looking for
        ideas
        > for other possible prizes.
        >
        > If you were to win, would you want the Known World Handbook? Or is
        there
        > some other item that you think would make a cool prize?
        >

        > Maitresse Irene leNoir
        > Pennsic 31 Newcomers Point Coordinator
        > newcomers@p...
      • kimmjordan
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 6, 2002
          As a newcomer planning on attending my first Pennsic this year, here
          are some generic-type items I'd be interested in:

          - Known World Handbook
          - Garb or perhaps a "gift certificate" for garb
          - Feast basket and/or gear
          - Basket or belt pouch

          Basically, just about anything period that could replace a modern item
          that a newbie isn't likely to have gotten around to yet. Period
          equivalents of tote bags or water bottles, or maybe a lantern to
          replace a flashlight, or perhaps something artistic that could lend to
          the atmosphere of a camp or tent. I don't have a lot of specific
          ideas here, since I'm not very clear on what the period equivalents of
          some of these items might be, but hopefully this will spark some ideas
          for those of you who do know!

          Cassandra Arabella Giordano

          --- In scanewcomers@y..., Irene leNoir <irene@l...> wrote:
          > Hello Everyone,
          >
          > As part of the Newcomers Point Activities for the upcoming Pennsic
          > War, we will once again be offering a "Newcomers Quest". Last year
          > the prize was a copy of the Known World Handbook. This year, I'm
          > looking for ideas for other possible prizes.
          >
          > If you were to win, would you want the Known World Handbook? Or is
          > there some other item that you think would make a cool prize?
          >

          > Maitresse Irene leNoir
          > Pennsic 31 Newcomers Point Coordinator
          > newcomers@p...
        • njal_tjorkilsson
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 6, 2002
            One of the things i've learned in the SCA has been the subtle art of
            camoflauge: draped fabric over non-period chairs, coolers, water
            bottles, etc.
            Aside from that I am an avid shopper of goodwill/ st. vinnies, etc.
            This covers a lot in the area of cheap coverings and feast gear,
            baskets, etc.

            If you can't afford period stuff, cover it up. Generally only the
            effort will be noticed.

            Then there are also Oseburg lamps (essentially a shield boss/ bowl
            welded to a long steel pole which holds burning parafin.)

            On a cheaper route, tiki torches work well.

            In Omnia Veritas
            Njall Tjorkilsson, KSCA

            --- In scanewcomers@y..., kimmjordan <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > As a newcomer planning on attending my first Pennsic this year,
            here
            > are some generic-type items I'd be interested in:
            >
            > - Known World Handbook
            > - Garb or perhaps a "gift certificate" for garb
            > - Feast basket and/or gear
            > - Basket or belt pouch
          • dontwait4themessiah
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 7, 2002
              When you come to the SCA, you learn quite quickly how to become an op-
              shop vulture :)

              Morag.