Pegasus Farm

  • Dee R
    Message 1 of 1 , May 18, 2002
      http://www.geocities.com/ailithmac//pegasusdemo.html

      DEMO SCHEDULE
      DIRECTIONS

      The Marche of Alderford and SCA folk from the surrounding area are once
      again part of the Pegasus Farm Spring Festival fundraiser on Saturday, May
      18 and Sunday May 19. SCA participation at this demo includes fighting,
      dancing, hands-on arts and more. But...again this year, this demo is the
      SAME weekend as Aethelmearc War Practice.

      The service given at this event means so much to the attendees and clients
      of Pegasus Farm. Pegasus Farm is a non-profit theraputic equestrian farm
      that gives those with physical and/or mental disabilities or terminal
      diseases the chance to experience physcial challenges in a structured and
      safe atmosphere. Many clients suffer from multiple disabilities. The Spring
      Festival is the largest fundraiser that the Farm has, and SCA participation
      at this event has helped raise attendance by 8%-13% every year we have
      participated. Attendees at Spring Fest include Farm clients and their
      families, and people from the surrounding Stark and Summit County area.

      Our participation as an organziation means a great deal to the clients of
      the Farm. To many of them, we are REAL--knights and ladies who step out from
      the past, and come to them, and treat them as though we do not see the
      physical or mental problems. Many of the Farm's clients know Katarina as
      Miss Kay, but swear up and down that it's NOT Miss Kay in that fancy dress,
      it's a real medieval Lady. And at Pegasus, any true-in-heart fighter is a
      knight for a day and more, whether white belt or not, as that fighter's gift
      of time is most precious to us and the Farm clients. The clients speak of us
      year round; we are a big bright spot for them. We lose some every year, as
      our clients are fragile physically.

      If you are able to join us, let Ailith or Katarina know as soon as you
      can. We especially appreciate those of you who will decide to stop and join
      us on Sunday afternoon on your way home from War Practice.

      Those who are able to attend: We get close parking (immediately behind our
      demo setup area), AND our own porta-privy. There is plenty of room for
      period pavilions. If you'd like to bring one, please let us know so we can
      plan for setup! We are near the event entrance and the central activities
      mega-Grimm's style-pavilion.

      There is room for a list that can accomodate 3 to 6 man melees, depending
      on how many fighters are in attendance. Single combat will be featured on
      the main stage twice daily, following our dancing and entertainment
      exhibition. We will arrange for both heavy and light combat if enough of
      each can attend. Pickups in the list area of the demo setup are OK, provided
      appropriate safety measures are observed.

      Heartfelt thanks to Lord Alexander of Hawkwood and Serjant Patraic Ó
      Docartaigh for marshaling armoured fighting and deepest thanks as well to
      Lord Giles Fitz Allan for marshaling rapier this weekend. Those who dance,
      folks who are comfortable explaining and demonstrating the arts and sciences
      of the Middle Ages, and those who wish to learn the administrative ropes of
      a medium to large scale demo are very welcome and have our gratitude!

      On Saturday evening, prior to a brief baronial re-organizational meeting,
      a potluck dinner is planned for all who attend the demo. All are welcome to
      attend the baronial meeting if they wish. Please bring something for the
      potluck. Entrees will be provided. The site is absolutely, positively and
      completely bone dry. NO FIRES are permitted.

      Pegasus Farms is located at 7490 Edison Street (SR 619) Hartville, Ohio,
      44685, at the corners of Ohio State Routes 619 and 44, west of Hartville,
      Ohio. It is easily reached from Interstate 77, Interstate 71, and State
      Route 8. Spring Festival is planned and staffed entirely by volunteers.

      We hope that many of you will join us this weekend, and give the gift of
      your time.

      Back to Top

      PEGASUS FARM DEMO SCHEDULE
      FRIDAY, MAY 17
      2PM to ?: Setup begins.
      Come in the main farm gate, and Ailith or Katarina will be able to direct
      you to parking. We are parking right behind our demo area this year. For
      those who have attended in the past, our demo area has been MOVED. We are no
      longer up by the arena. We are across from the ranch offices,on the "tractor
      lawn", where the antique tractors were in previous years. The tractors have
      moved to our old area by the arena.

      On Saturday and Sunday if the Parking Attendents are at the gate, be sure
      to tell them that you're with the SCA so that you are not charged the
      entrance fee!

      SATURDAY, MAY 18
      9-9:30AM: SCA participants begin arriving. Set up MUST be completed by
      9:50AM.
      10AM: Gates open to the public
      2PM: 1 hour SCA Center stage demo
      4PM: SCA Center stage demo (we can go longer than an hour, since we're the
      last gig of the day.)
      6PM: Gates close.
      6:15PM: SCA members have potluck dinner, followed by a short barony
      reorganizational meeting. All are welcome. Those who want to attend the
      meeting but cannot attend the demo need to tell Pegasus staffers at the gate
      that they are here for the SCA meeting. Please contact Ailith for more
      details on the potluck and meeting.

      SUNDAY, MAY 19
      9-9:30AM: SCA participants begin arriving. Set up MUST be completed by
      9:50AM.
      10AM: Gates open to the public
      11AM: 1 hour SCA Center stage demo
      4PM: SCA Center stage demo (we can go longer than an hour, since we're the
      last gig of the day.)
      6PM: Gates close. SCA teardown. We have until 9 PM to clear our portion of
      the site.

      For more detailed information, please email Ailith, phone 330-875-4081 or
      email Katarina, phone 330-945-6773 (Karen Johnson, Spring Festival PR chair)

      Back to Top

      DIRECTIONS
      There is construction just about everywhere, so please plan your travel
      time accordingly.

      From the Akron Area:
      There are 2 ways.
      1. Take I-77 South to State Route 241. Turn Left onto Route 241 then Right
      onto State Route 619. Continue on Route 619 through Uniontown and Hartville.
      Pegasus Farm is about 4 miles East of Hartville on the Right.

      OR

      2. Take I-76 East to State Route 44 South. Stay on 44 for about 15 minutes
      (you will pass through Rootstown and Randolph as well as New Baltimore, home
      of the BEST ice cream in the state!). At the intersection of State Route 619
      you will turn WEST (RIGHT) (traffic light at intersection). Pegasus Farm is
      on the Left.

      From the Medina/Mansfield Area: Take 71 to 76 East; Stay on 76 through
      Akron and continue to the State Route 44 exit. Exit at 44 SOUTH. You will be
      on 44 for about 15 minutes (you will pass through Rootstown and Randolph as
      well as New Baltimore, home of the BEST ice cream in the state!). At the
      intersection of State Route 619 (traffic light at intersection), turn WEST
      (RIGHT). Pegasus Farm is on the Left.

      From the Wooster Area and points South: Make your best way to State Route
      30 East. The highway ends at the Trump Road North exit. Follow 30 into East
      Canton and go NORTH on State Route 44 (LEFT). Go through Louisville and
      proceed for about 15 minutes. Turn WEST (LEFT) onto State Route 619 (traffic
      light at intersection). Pegasus Farm is on the Left.

      From the Canton Area: Make your best way to Route 44. Go NORTH to State
      Route 619. Turn WEST (Left) onto 619 (traffic light at intersection).
      Pegasus Farm is on the Left.