Re: [SCA Newcomers] random question

  • njal_tjorkilsson
    Message 1 of 5 , May 15, 2002
      Actually the Norse and Celts had a kind of dress that was essentially
      a long hoop of fabric that bundled together at the collarbone by way
      of brooches. Lightweight and cool.

      Greeks and Romans had some lightweight stuff too.

      Lightweight short-sleeved t-tunics work well as well.

      Njall
    • vujadea200@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , May 17, 2002
        Dawn,
        One option that we use here, in central Ansteorra, is to wear Greek
        Bog dresses. They are made of (usually) a loose weave, and are very cool.
        Imagine a straight tube, folded at the top and pined at the shoulders. It
        works very nice.

        Adena
      • Jane Allard Gray
        Message 3 of 5 , May 18, 2002
          I went to the Outlands coronation last weekend (my 2nd
          event) and they had a vendor there selling clothing,
          so I decided to go ahead and get something so I could
          turn in my loaner garb. I got a dark green Irish
          Leine and a black chemise. Since then I have also
          purchased a bodice that looks really good over the
          chemise. But I'm now wishing I hadn't gotten the
          black chemise, because I don't think it's period... or
          is there anywhere/anytime that black chemises were
          worn?

          Also, the chemise is way long so I need to shorten it.
          Should I hem it or is it more authentic not to?

          Thanks.

          =====
          LadyJane and:
          Mathesar, Commanding Quaker Parrot in Charge
          The Princess Snowbird, 'Brella 'Too
          Gilbert, soon to arrive Loveboid
          Taz, the 19 lb. Monstercat
          Socrates, the Australian Heeler who Fears All
          Frederick the Boy, His Assorted Fish & Hermit Crabs

          LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
          http://launch.yahoo.com
        • katfletcher
          Message 4 of 5 , May 18, 2002
            Dear Jane,
            Hem away and don't worry about the color. Even if it isn't perfectly
            period, it is your first of what, in all likelyhood, will be MANY
            pieces of garb. Chemises are pretty easy to make, you could try
            making your own. I prefer to use unbleached muslin but old sheets
            from a resale store also work well. Mine are all just long shirt
            length since I don't want the added heat of a full length one but I
            do have a few longer ones for sleeping in. They are nice multi-
            purpose items. For my daughter, I put elastic at the cuffs but mine
            have lucetted cord drawstrings which are always getting dangled in
            something or other!
            Sorry for the ramble, but do feel free to hem, it is
            definetly "period"!

            Kathryn

            --- In scanewcomers@y..., Jane Allard Gray