Re: [SCA Newcomers] A Question of Favors

  • D Dreessen
    Message 1 of 4 , May 6, 2002
      A lady may bestow her favors where she will. In the SCA it may be assumed
      that there is a romantic connection between the lady and the fighter wearing
      her favor. That does not HAVE to be the case. There is nothing wrong with a
      lady giving her favor to a fighter for the day. In fact it gives the fighter
      (new fighters especially) encouragement to do their best and fight with
      honor (lest the lady decide she wants her token back).

      I know of occasions where a fighter wears the favor of his wife or a friend
      that is rooting for him. I have even seen ladies give favors to fighters in
      their home groups so that people WILL assume there is a romantic connection
      and not hit on the lady.

      There is little more important to a fighter in the SCA than to have a token
      with him when he fights. It reminds him of his honor and that he is not
      alone on the field. There is someone watching that is proud of him win or
      lose. All that matters is that he does his honest best and fights with all
      honor.

    • Liye23
      Message 2 of 4 , May 6, 2002
        And if the fighter is a lady?

        Beth

        --- In scanewcomers@y..., "D Dreessen" <lord_ehren@h...> wrote:
        > A lady may bestow her favors where she will. In the SCA it may be
        assumed
        > that there is a romantic connection between the lady and the
        fighter wearing
        > her favor. That does not HAVE to be the case. There is nothing
        wrong with a
        > lady giving her favor to a fighter for the day. In fact it gives
        the fighter
        > (new fighters especially) encouragement to do their best and fight
        with
        > honor (lest the lady decide she wants her token back).
        >
        > I know of occasions where a fighter wears the favor of his wife or
        a friend
        > that is rooting for him. I have even seen ladies give favors to
        fighters in
        > their home groups so that people WILL assume there is a romantic
        connection
        > and not hit on the lady.
        >
        > There is little more important to a fighter in the SCA than to have
        a token
        > with him when he fights. It reminds him of his honor and that he is
        not
        > alone on the field. There is someone watching that is proud of him
        win or
        > lose. All that matters is that he does his honest best and fights
        with all
        > honor.

      • njal_tjorkilsson
        Message 3 of 4 , May 6, 2002
          Sokay. Think of a favor as a "reminder".
          Generally it is romanticised in history and literature as a lady
          bestowing a "favor" like a scarf or whatever (ala Ivanhoe) to a
          jousting knight. Most of the time this was a guy. IN out society
          ladies DO fight and there is nothing at all wrong with a gentle
          bestowing a favor on a lady combatant.

          Medievially it WAS a bit sexist, but this is the society for CREATIVE
          anachronism and I lke to encourage ladies to fight too.

          Njall Tjorkilsson

          --- In scanewcomers@y..., "Liye23" <liye23@y...> wrote:
          > And if the fighter is a lady?
          >
          > Beth
        • D Dreessen
          Message 4 of 4 , May 9, 2002
            Just to make my viewpoint clear on this... I embroidered a favor for my lady
            to wear on the field. You should hear the laughter when the Marshal says,
            "Salute your most worthy opponent", and my lady and I meet in the center of
            the list for a quick hug before she tries to knock me silly.

            Ehrenfried