Keeping kids busy

  • Jane Allard Gray
    Message 1 of 2 , May 6, 2002
      My son and I went to our first event last weekend and
      had a great time. It was very low key and not a lot
      of people showed (about 25, I'd guess) so it was a
      great chance to meet some folks in a very casual
      atmosphere.

      Next weekend my son and I will be going to the
      Outlands Coronation. I learned how to finger weave
      Saturday, so that'll keep me somewhat busy, but I was
      hoping to find something for my 12-year old son to do.
      I've been told that parts of the coronation will be
      quite boring, especially for a newbie, so what are
      some ways I can keep him amused (iow, not bothering
      those around us)?

      Jane

      =====
      LadyJane and:
      Mathesar, Commanding Quaker Parrot in Charge
      The Princess Snowbird, 'Brella 'Too
      Gilbert, soon to arrive Loveboid
      Taz, the 19 lb. Monstercat
      Socrates, the Australian Heeler who Fears All
      Frederick the Boy, His Assorted Fish & Hermit Crabs

      http://health.yahoo.com
    • katfletcher
      Message 2 of 2 , May 7, 2002
        Hmmm. Twelve and a boy. I am most experienced with ten year old girls
        just now!
        Consider a small travel size backgammon set, books on medieval
        subjects (there are several good kids' fiction books set in the
        Middle Ages,) a calligraphy pen (the felt tip style are great for
        kids to learn with) and paper, things like that.
        You might get lucky and find other kids his age he can run off and
        play with elsewhere. Coronations are usually bigger events. Just be
        sure to know where and who with, nothing is 100% safe these days.
        If there are only one or two others his age, chess, backgammon and
        Merels make decent quiet games to be played in corners.
        And you may find it is more interesting than you were led to believe.
        I usually enjoy the Coronation courts more than the regular ones.
        More pomp to them.
        Good luck and let us know what you come up with, I can always use
        more ideas for my kid!
        Kathryn

        --- In scanewcomers@y..., Jane Allard Gray