A Question of Favours

  • vlduncan1
    Message 1 of 4 , May 6, 2002
      I've searched the archive and come up with posts mentioning what
      favours should be made out of, and inferred from the posts that
      Knights carry tokens of esteem into the lists.

      Is the giving of a favour necessarily binding? (intimate relationship)
      For example: Can my good friend Sir Richard carry my favour into a
      tournament without the "they must be together" inference?
      Assuming that Sir Richard has no other Lady to fight for?

      Can favours be symbols of courtly love as well as romantic love?

      In Service,
      Madelena Bischeri
    • dontwait4themessiah
      Message 2 of 4 , May 6, 2002
        No, not necessarily. EG- My friend Adam is fighting for another
        aquaintence, Lady Kiriel. But he is 'with' a different partner.
        Also considering that people have fought for those passed on and
        fictional characters (I think I heard a mention of someone fighting
        for Winnie the Pooh once?) I think it's a little unreasonable to
        ensure that you are with the person whose favour you bear.
        I'm fairly sure, however, that you must fight for a member of the
        opposite sex (Could someone verify?).

        Vivere, Amore, Discere,
        Morag (363 days to go...)
      • autumnriver
        Message 3 of 4 , May 7, 2002
          --- In scanewcomers@y..., dontwait4themessiah <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          I think it's a little unreasonable to
          > ensure that you are with the person whose favour you bear.
          > I'm fairly sure, however, that you must fight for a member of the
          > opposite sex (Could someone verify?).

          The only time that one MUST fight for the opposite sex is for a
          crown tournament (according to Corpora). I believe the reasoning
          behind that was so that both males and females could have someone to
          look up to. Otherwise, you can fight for whoever you want. It's
          not uncommon to fight for one of the same sex.

          The point is to be fighting for a greater purpose than just your own
          advancement.

          --Tacye
        • dontwait4themessiah
          Message 4 of 4 , May 7, 2002
            --- In scanewcomers@y..., autumnriver <no_reply@y...> wrote:

            > The point is to be fighting for a greater purpose than just your
            own
            > advancement.

            *Nods in agreement* Well said.

            Morag