Re: Re: Accurate enough garb?

  • seticat
    Message 1 of 5 , May 3 1:26 AM
      Okay... perhaps I look at things wrong, but, as it says, an attempt at
      period garb. I recommend to new folks going with a long T-tunic dress with
      a shorter T-tunic over and splurge on trim. They're fast, easy and cheap.
      Cheap being the word. Norse of the Viking era, early Celt, simple Norman
      all work and can be dressed up for court and dressed down for tourneys. And
      since I've from An Tir - land of moss, rain and rust - this works out well.

      But then ... I'll never be a Laurel for garb. And I can't see paying the
      prices of the various companies [Chiv. Sports, etc - Lord, $120 for a bodice
      dress on sale] when you're starting. A basic T-dress fits so many periods.
      Dress it up with a wimple, a veil, a hood and you're good to go. Save your
      money for when you've got a good idea of what you want.

      Various places to look for ideas:
      http://southernshores.dracowolf.com/gull/articles/sewing/first_garb.html
      http://www.virtue.to/articles/in_depth_garb.html
      http://www.virtue.to/articles/
      http://www.dragonbear.com/pennlink.html#garb
      http://www.dragonbear.com/pennlink.html#garb
      http://www.geocities.com/duntraigh/garb.html - good
      http://www3.sympatico.ca/noergate/costuming.html - look down the page

      Look. Read. Try. Enjoy.

      YIS,
      Rowan
    • Jane Allard Gray
      Message 2 of 5 , May 3 7:10 AM
        --- seticat <seticat@...> wrote:
        > But then ... I'll never be a Laurel for garb. And I
        > can't see paying the
        > prices of the various companies [Chiv. Sports, etc -
        > Lord, $120 for a bodice
        > dress on sale] when you're starting. A basic

        Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions on my first
        set of garb. Museum replicas is a bit pricey for me,
        especially since (as pointed out above) I don't know
        yet what my persona will be and if I will keep wearing
        it after a few months. I did find a site that has
        clothing at VERY reasonable prices and seems much more
        authentic. It's www.garbtheworld.com

        =====
        LadyJane and:
        Mathesar, Commanding Quaker Parrot in Charge
        The Princess Snowbird, 'Brella 'Too
        Gilbert, soon to arrive Loveboid
        Taz, the 19 lb. Monstercat
        Socrates, the Australian Heeler who Fears All
        Frederick the Boy, His Assorted Fish & Hermit Crabs

        http://health.yahoo.com